Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching a young cat new tricks

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Due to a recent spate of boredom I decided to try to teach my male cat a few tricks. He has learnt sit, stand up on his hind legs, shake and he is now learning lie down. He does them quite well (when we are in the kitchen, the washing machine is off and nobody else is there [tempermental isnt he] which is also a reason why no one seems to believe me when i tell them what he can do cause the first thing they say is "show me!" all i can say is "well....."

Anybody else trained there cat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yep. My boy Eric sits on request, begs, jumps for food - but it's all treat driven. Hence he'll do it in front of other people, but never if there's no treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

God I hate cats. Always thinking about what they can get out of it!!:p

Dogs FTW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My cat Samhain has learned to come when I call her name and clap three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

and clap three times.

Hey id like to teach my cat to clap how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

In terms of coming when they're called, the more social of mine do it regardless of whether or not there's a treat involved. Sasquatch also fetches - he goes bananas for my hair elastics. It started when he was a kitten - the tiny peanut brain realised that if he brought the elastic back for another throw, the game would continue...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My cat Samhain has learned to come when I call her name and clap three times.
    Yep. My boy Eric sits on request, begs, jumps for food
    :eek: A cat? Fair play. They're usually too independent IME anyway. I know people always say that about cats, the independence thing, but its usually true and I'm not a cat person. Though of late... Must be an age/wisdom thing:D
    - but it's all treat driven. Hence he'll do it in front of other people, but never if there's no treat!
    Sign of intelligence I'd say. :) I have a dog like that. The bugger would damn near play the tin whistle and dance a passable jig if I hold a prime sirloin steak in his face. Otherwise? Completely ignores any attempt. Won't even sit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I trained my eldest cat to use the toilet Mr Jinxy style (from meet the parents) by using the litterkwitter kit. He loves it and looks like he feels far superior to the other cats sitting on his throne while they are squatting in their plastic litter tray!!

lubie76 wrote: »
    I trained my eldest cat to use the toilet Mr Jinxy style (from meet the parents) by using the litterkwitter kit.

That is quite possibly the ultimate trick to teach a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

lubie76 wrote: »
    I trained my eldest cat to use the toilet Mr Jinxy style (from meet the parents) by using the litterkwitter kit.

I am SO gonna get one of them!! Did it take you long to train him? And how come your other cats wouldn't learn to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

It took about 2 - 3 months or thereabout. Its quite easy with the litterkwitter kit as you get a demo cd and everything but he will not share his throne with any other cats. I think its a territorial thing. They just won't even try it and if he sees them so much as looking at it he is in for the kill. In saying that he was my first cat so when I was training him there was no competition from others.

I started getting him used of the height of the toilet by putting his ordinary litter tray on a couple of telephone directorys and building them up so by the time he started using the toilet tray insert it wasn't such a big deal. Then slowly removed the different size trays from the loo til eventually he could balance over the toilet. We had to take a step back a couple of times and had a few misses but he got the hang of it in the end. Unfortunately, like every other male, he hasn't learned to put the seat down after use ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Hey id like to teach my cat to clap how did you do it?

Sorry, didn't see this til just now!

I honestly don't know how I did it. She's always been very attached to me. I rescued her as a very young kitten and we had a strong connection. I started when she was young - saying her name and clapping three times. In the beginning I would look right at her and do it and she would come running over and snuggle me. As time went on, I noticed that whenever I did it - called her name and clapped three times - she would appear, even if she had been sleeping in another room. So I started testing her and sure enough, every time she would come to me. But it's only when I say her name and clap three times - anyone else or any other derivation won't work.

People who meet her always comment on how much she acts like a dog. One of my friends has recently started calling her "dog-cat" because she's so friendly and mischievous.

People who meet her always comment on how much she acts like a dog. One of my friends has recently started calling her "dog-cat" because she's so friendly and mischievous.

Thats funny as my cat is now called dog by my family (He doesnt really have a proper name so it is usally just "Kitten" or "Cat").:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Haven't taught my cat but she has taken to taking small Christmas baubles off a candle/holly/christmasy thing and carrying them around and hiding them under the Christmas tree in present boxes! I think I may have to start training her too, how did you go about it?!

Sit is easy just repeat "Sit" and gently push there backside down then reward them with a bit of food. Eventually they will start sitting themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I used to have cats years ago and they were trained to come for their food if you banged the tin of cat food with a knife :D I know it sounds mad but it used to work! they would appear from all quarters for their grub! also had them trained to come when one would whistle like you do with a dog!

Advertisement