Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrying a Motorbike Helmet on an Airplane

• 24-11-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

.... has anyone done this?

I'm heading to the NEC on Friday to replace some worn out gear including my lid. A friend is coming over with me so we can carry hand luggage each. 2 questions;

1) If I buy a new lid there can it be carried on as hand luggage? i.e. does it come under the dimension and weight restrictions?

2) If I carry an empty bag to the NEC to pick up gear do I end up having to lug it around for the day along with any gear I buy, or are there secure locker or storage facilities?

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

wear it as a hat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

KamiKazi wrote: »
    wear it as a hat :pac:

thought of that ..... i'd probably have to change my passport photo though!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

I bought an arai there a few years ago, brought it back on a ryanair flight with the box. Just about fit in the overhead, and i got no hassle from the staff.

Theres a free rail system that runs from the NEC to the airport, takes about 5 minutes. If you want to buy your stuff early, you can easily go back to the airport and stick it in a secure locker there before heading back to the NEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..I can see Ryanair rubbing their hands with glee re the NEC trippers: not much you can buy at a bike show will qualify for hand luggage. I'd imagine a helmet will, but god help you with full leathers/paddock stand/Ducati etc :p

Oh, and another thing: unless you're actually going outside, DON'T bring a coat - you'll die of dehydration ! You can get from the plane to the NEC without going outside. This cunningly allows you to wear any potential purchases on the way back :)

So, travel light, bring Solpadeine/Panadol (can get very stuffy), and drink loads of water.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

I brought an empty wheelie bag (within ryanair handluggage specs) to the NEC last year, and brought back a helmet, boots and gloves in it. Wheeled it around the show all day (just as well it wasn't as packed as the RDS show can be!) and filled it as I travelled!

When I bought my Schuberth C3 at the show last year, I got a free Oxford helmet carrier bag, which would be fine as hand luggage provided you've got nothing else to carry.

And there were plenty of folk wearing their purchases to get around the ryanair restrictions!

Edit - I'd second what Galwaytt said re the coat & water - you won't need the former, and drink plenty of the latter (but buy it airside not landside!).

• Advertisement

cheers for all the advice. theres 2 of us heading over and i'm the only one buying gear so he can help carry stuff back.

With regard to buying water airside and not landside, is the NEC more expensive than the airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

With regard to buying water airside and not landside, is the NEC more expensive than the airport?

I can't remember to be honest - my experience of UK airports though is that water is even more expensive than it is airside in Dublin :eek:

What I should have said in my post was not to buy water before you reach Dublin Airport as you won't be allowed bring it through.

Enjoy the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

How did you get on with bringing the helmet Georgey, the reason I'm asking is that I'm hoping to bring a helmet as hand luggage but it's 25cms wide and ryanairs max width allowance is 22cms, I'd usually chance it but ryanair seem to be checking the size and weight of every bag lately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

vektarman wrote: »
    How did you get on with bringing the helmet Georgey, the reason I'm asking is that I'm hoping to bring a helmet as hand luggage but it's 25cms wide and ryanairs max width allowance is 22cms, I'd usually chance it but ryanair seem to be checking the size and weight of every bag lately. :(

I brought my lid over to manchester with no issues... but that was a year and a half ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Brought lid to London to collect my Super Tenere. No problem on Aer Lingus. Fitted into overhead. Wouldn't let me carry on my bag though as it contained a great big chain and padlock for my stopover in Birmingham. Didn't think they would - just want to see the look on their faces when the Search Unit girl examined it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm thinking on buying one in Munich, I'm there at the moment and they're a lot cheaper.

I have a carry on bag but I'm not sure if I'll be made check on in or not.

I didn't get a lid in the NEC in the end. Couldn't get the right deal on the lid I wanted XR1100. Apparently Shoei had warned the traders that they would lose their shoei agency (!! I think thats the word!!) if they discounted these lids!

Ryanair a re pretty strict now. i was in the UK 2 weeks ago and they were walking around with a bottomless cardboard box and if it had to be forced over your bag then you had to check it in!!!! One bloke had only just bought his 'airoplane friendly' bag and a buckle was stopping the box from fitting over the bag. He wasn't a happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I'm planning on buying a bike in the UK, will need to fly over and ride her back home. Has anyone recently brought a helmet on a Ryan air flight? Going to be fun flying with full leathers and boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying a bike in the UK, will need to fly over and ride her back home. Has anyone recently brought a helmet on a Ryan air flight? Going to be fun flying with full leathers and boots!

Once thats your only piece of hand luggage I can't see the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A pair of black sunglases on you and you might even pass for him?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I was over in Cambridge with the eldest lad in April and parked up at the Airport... Had a backpack and brought my Lid on an RyanAir flight and no one batted an eyelid at me...

Wont be any problems dude.....

Safe journey back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

done it a few times with ryanair from knock to east mids, got some funny looks in a cordura armoured jacket in the summer sun we had a couple of years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Just a warning - Ryanair use Servisair to check in passengers at BHX and they were more rigourously checking bag sizes etc there than any actual Ryanair staff I've encountered elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they were on commission as the charge for putting a bag in the hold at the gate is €50.

V1llianous wrote: »
    Just a warning - Ryanair use Servisair to check in passengers at BHX and they were more rigourously checking bag sizes etc there than any actual Ryanair staff I've encountered elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they were on commission as the charge for putting a bag in the hold at the gate is €50.

I'm going to be flying from Dublin to Birmingham, hopefully it wont be an issue.

I was over in Cambridge with the eldest lad in April and parked up at the Airport... Had a backpack and brought my Lid on an RyanAir flight and no one batted an eyelid at me...

Wont be any problems dude.....

Safe journey back :)

Nice one thanks dude :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Bought a lid in the isle of mann last year. Carried my lid on to the Ryanair flight as well as my carry on bag. No hassle.

More importantly, what are you buying?!!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    More importantly, what are you buying?!!

If all goes according to plan 03 VFR800! Current bike is an 05 FZ6 which I will be selling, should be an...interesting change!

Fdt2PtG.jpg

If all goes according to plan 03 VFR800! Current bike is an 05 FZ6 which I will be selling, should be an...interesting change!

Fdt2PtG.jpg

Very nice.....hope all goes well and you get it.:)

Looks well. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

A friend got on a Ryanair flight with his one piece leathers and helmet last Wednesday in Dublin airport.

He was asked to remove his leathers (had thermals on underneath) and they were passed through the scanners. Apart from that no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

The Don wrote: »
    A friend got on a Ryanair flight with his one piece leathers and helmet last Wednesday in Dublin airport.

He was asked to remove his leathers (had thermals on underneath) and they were passed through the scanners. Apart from that no issues.

Can they do that?? What would have happened if all he had on were his boxers and a t-shirt, thats all i waer under my leathers. Surely they would not expect you to strip in front other passengers:eek:

Can they do that?? What would have happened if all he had on were his boxers and a t-shirt, thats all i waer under my leathers. Surely they would not expect you to strip in front other passengers:eek:

A passenger has the right to be screened/searched in a private room or behind a screened area.

These airport staff dont like telling you that though,as they think its fun to make a drama scene out of these sorts of matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

paddy147 wrote: »
    A passenger has the right to be screened/searched in a private room or behind a screened area.

These airport staff dont like telling you that though,as they think its fun to make a drama scene out of these sorts of matters.

.....and it would be fun to give them a drama, if it were me !! (body of a Greek God* :pac: :P :D )

*...er, not !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....and it would be fun to give them a drama, if it were me !! (body of a Greek God* :pac: :P :D )

*...er, not !

last time i was there, i remember a nice young chick only doing the kinda --> recheck --> just a quickone, i woudlnt mind taking of my leathers :) and do a little strip for her :) just for the dreams :))))

btw i brought drystar jacket from canarys 3 weeks a go-->
    and i can tell you wearing that jacket in plane was like a carrying a cross on your back. nobody said a word to me, but hell next time i will think twice about that. ;)

Advertisement