Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with deposit

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

Myself and my husband have been renting a house through an estate agent and our lease is up on saturday. We gave one months notice in writing of our intention to leave and also called the estate agent twice.

The estate agent said they would call to the house this week to see that everything is in order which it is.

The problem we have is that the estate agent is saying the landlords wife has cancer and therefore it may not be possible for us to get our deposit back when leaving this Friday that we might have to wait awhile.

I have every sympathy for the landlord & wife in this situation but we need this deposit to move into our new house.

In our lease agreement it states that the deposit will be refunded on the expiration of the tenancy.

We are thinking of ringing the estate agent and advising that if the landlord is not in a position to pay the deposit this Friday we will stay in the house an extra month until the value of deposit is used up.

Is this a good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

dont know if its a good idea to stay on or not. but have known a few people with cancer and their lives dont just stop and the give up on their resposibilities. In my opinion agent is fobbing you off before you have even left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Silversudz wrote: »
    Hi,

We are thinking of ringing the estate agent and advising that if the landlord is not in a position to pay the deposit this Friday we will stay in the house an extra month until the value of deposit is used up.

Is this a good idea?
    TBH this is what I would do, but be sure to inform them in writing first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Silversudz wrote: »
    The problem we have is that the estate agent is saying the landlords wife has cancer and therefore it may not be possible for us to get our deposit back when leaving this Friday that we might have to wait awhile.

What kind of logic is that? Because the landlords wife has cancer he can no longer make any financial transactions? Is he not going to pay his ESB/phone bills this month either because his wife has cancer? Is he not going to do any grocery shopping? I fail to see what having cancer has to do with not giving a deposit back, it looks like a complete joke of an excuse to me. You only have to look at this forum to see the amount of people having trouble getting deposits back from their landlords at present.

I think you are 100% right to spend an extra month in the house and let them use the deposit as the last months rent, as I don't see you getting it back otherwise going by other threads on this forum. Also, the landlord can do feck all if you decide to do this. He mightn't like it (because it means he's not gonna be able to rob your deposit), but he is completely powerless to do anything about it.

Advertisement