Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car damaged in floods

• 24-11-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

Last week my car stalled in a massive flood. Problem is that I was on company business using my private car , and I my premium does not cover me whilst on company business.

Now I face the problem of replacing the car as it is probably going to be a write-off. I had no plans to change the car and the problem is compounded by the fact that recently I the car passed the NCT but not with considerable expenditure on my behalf

The companies stance is that I am not covered and more or less tough luck. I am peeved off with this perspective as I have effectively become carless whilst using my own car on company business. I will probably re-coup most of value of car on inmsurance but have spent €1000 to get it NCT ready + €300 (excess on policy) + loss of no claims.

Any advice on how I could attempt to negotiate with company?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Motors.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't see how you could negotiate with them given that these are usually specifically defined in the policy.
    I'm curious to know how your car stalled in a "massive flood" - did you actually choose to drive into the "massive flood".

Should I and others suffer an increase to our policy because people decided to wreck their cars by driving into a lake? Its a harsh accusation but one that will unfortunately become reality and the type of view taken by the insurance companys!

edit: what was the €300 spent on your excess actually for if the insurance company aren't covering it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm a bit lost. How will you 'probably recoup most of value of car on insurance' if the insurance company are saying you're not covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why are you trying to get your company policy to pay for a car they don't insure? Why not go to the insurance company that covers your private car? Makes no sense tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Honestly:

You can only claim on the company policy, if you use a company car.

If you use your own car to claim milage instead, you need to make sure, that your insurance covers you. Not your companies problem. That's your own risk in this situation.

By not using common sense, driving into a puddle, wrecking your own car and then claiming on your own insurance you hurt not only your no claims, your excess and your policy price, but everybody elses too. The more that do it, the more it'll hurt everybody in Ireland next year.

You should have checked, where your airintake is and other stuff and how deep the puddle is and if you can possibly pass it, before driving in there.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you were on company business were you getting mileage?

If so, and you didn't have class II cover on your private motor policy it's frankly hard to have any sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In fairness, I just wouldnt have driven through the flood in the first place.
    Two lessons (hopefully) learned here -

1 - Dont drive through a flood if you are anyway unsure, have never driven in deep enough water, or have a car with a low air intake, regardless of what has gone before you.

2 - Make sure you have adequate insurance to cover you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Unrealman wrote: »
    Hi

Last week my car stalled in a massive flood. Problem is that I was on company business using my private car , and I my premium does not cover me whilst on company business.

Now I face the problem of replacing the car as it is probably going to be a write-off. I had no plans to change the car and the problem is compounded by the fact that recently I the car passed the NCT but not with considerable expenditure on my behalf

The companies stance is that I am not covered and more or less tough luck. I am peeved off with this perspective as I have effectively become carless whilst using my own car on company business. I will probably re-coup most of value of car on inmsurance but have spent €1000 to get it NCT ready + €300 (excess on policy) + loss of no claims.

Any advice on how I could attempt to negotiate with company?

Why would you bother telling the insurance company it was a business trip?!!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

hblock21 i was thinking the same thing!!!

My mam did this a few years ago in Lucan...she saw a small cinquecento go through and thought "if that can get through so can i" well a few seconds later mams Chrysler Voyager (big car) stopped...flooded engine!!! as the car was only a year old she got a new engine and when selling the car a year later it only had half the millage it would have had!!!

*not to self* always know where your air intake is...in most FIATs its right under the bonnet so Im always good!!! :D

Go to your local mechanic and see can he fit a 2nd hand engine...i got one awhile ago cause mine overheated and blew up (well there was alot of smoke/steam) and i got a 2nd hand one fitted and all for €750 cash!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hblock21 wrote: »
    Why would you bother telling the insurance company it was a business trip?!!?!

It'd be an attempt to defraud if he didn't. Some would call it attempted theft.

• Advertisement

It'd be an attempt to defraud if he didn't. Some would call it attempted theft.

Ah come on. You would be insane to mention it. I don't see how driving from A to B while working is any different than driving from A to B in the evening. Its the same roads and is it really any different than driving to work in the morning?

The insurance company probably wont even ask.

I dont think it is fraud its just too small a detail, you are driving your car which you have paid to insure but it just happens to be going somewhere for work.

I would say almost everybody in the country drives there private car on company business at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah come on. You would be insane to mention it. I don't see how driving from A to B while working is any different than driving from A to B in the evening. Its the same roads and is it really any different than driving to work in the morning?

I dont think it is fraud its just too small a detail, you are driving your car which you have paid to insure but it just happens to be going somewhere for work.

I would say almost everybody in the country drives there private car on company business at some point.

Insurance companies are far smarter then you think. 'Utmost good faith' is a basic principle of insurance and they don't take kindly to customers trying it on.

Let's have no more encouraging people to commit insurance fraud, thanks.

Do you not realise that when others make claims, all policyholders end up paying for it. When you make a false claim, then you are expecting others to pay.
    Like the advert says, you are stealing from me and everyone else here who is honest.

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you not realise that when others make claims, all policyholders end up paying for it. When you make a false claim, then you are expecting others to pay.
    Like the advert says, you are stealing from me and everyone else here who is honest.

I completely understand that and I am totally against false personal injury claims and other completely blatant fraudulent claims however( I'm not encouraging anybody to make a false claim here just giving my opinion) I don't see why it makes a difference that he was driving somewhere on business. As I said he was driving legally, insured, tax'd nct'd but as he was on work time he cannot claim on his insurance its just seams ridiculous to me thats all.

Don't ever go into the loss assessing business then!

In any insurance claim done by a smart assessor / quantity surveyor, the client cleans up!

I could give you examples...but I won't, because it will just shock everyone! (I'm shocked myself sometimes, the money you can get for relatively small damage)

I completely understand that and I am totally against false personal injury claims and other completely blatant fraudulent claims however( I'm not encouraging anybody to make a false claim here just giving my opinion) I don't see why it makes a difference that he was driving somewhere on business. As I said he was driving legally, insured, tax'd nct'd but as he was on work time he cannot claim on his insurance its just seams ridiculous to me thats all.
    The OP could have paid extra for Class II cover, which would have provided cover for business use of the car. They didn't, and the car is therefore not covered for business use. That's why claiming they weren't using the car for business at the time would be fraud.

Don't ever go into the loss assessing business then!

In any insurance claim done by a smart assessor / quantity surveyor, the client cleans up!

I could give you examples...but I won't, because it will just shock everyone! (I'm shocked myself sometimes, the money you can get for relatively small damage)
    The client being the person who pays the assessor which in many cases will be the insurance company.
    However, any claims paid out will be borne by existing and future policyholders!

The client being the person who pays the assessor which in many cases will be the insurance company.
    However, any claims paid out will be borne by existing and future policyholders!

I know. But money makes the world go round!

Is this of any relevance to kbannon's point that fraudulent claims inevitably increase premiums for the rest of us?

• Advertisement

interesting article on the flood and insurance issue
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/1125/1224259388500.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

What I CAN'T understand is people driving into floods. And drive too fast through them then.

Like has already been said we'll all be paying for other people's stupidity when our premiums are up for renewal next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...indeed. Speaking to someone at the w/end on how to tackle floods, and they said they alway presumed to rev it right up just before entering !

Wow, suck up all the water why dontcha ? :rolleyes:

O/T that link to the IT above, interesting that Personal Accident claims are up by 24% last year. WOW, does that mean that the Celtic Tiger was more a cause for lower premia than PIAB ? Now that one is dead, and other with us, and claims are up.........certainly looks like it !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

You are of course right, but a little naive. Insurers are anything but squeaky clean, and in fact are well able to act the cnut and bend the law when it suits them. You want a source? Here: http://www.mlaw.ie/news/harassed-plaintiff-settles-claim-on-favourable-terms

Now we are assuming the OP does not have insurance, but here is a assumption made by 123.ie when providing a quote (on their website as of today)

"Vehicle is used for social domestic and pleasure purposes including commuting to and from work or use in connection with your business but excluding use for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward or for soliciting of commercial orders."

Whether or not the OP is technically insured or not is one matter, BUT, they are not making a false claim in the sense of feigning an injury. The fact is the OP suffered damage and the insurance co is trying to avoid cover. There are different things.

(BTW your premium will probably go though the roof because some investments made by insurers have lost 90+% of their value more than paying for the odd flooded car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

I'd never encourage anyone to make a false insurance claim but if this was me, I would omit telling them I was on business.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Unrealman wrote: »
    Hi

Last week my car stalled in a massive flood.
    Marlow wrote: »
    By not using common sense, driving into a puddle, wrecking your own car ...

...You should have checked, where your airintake is and other stuff and how deep the puddle is and if you can possibly pass it, before driving in there.
    In fairness, I just wouldnt have driven through the flood in the first place.
    Two lessons (hopefully) learned here -

1 - Dont drive through a flood if you are anyway unsure,...
    What I CAN'T understand is people driving into floods. And drive too fast through them then..

Can't anyone ask a question in this forum without getting the usual moral high-horse "i told you so" responses? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can't anyone ask a question in this forum without getting the usual moral high-horse "i told you so" responses? :rolleyes:

I dunno -can we ? And, let's not forget....the High Moral Ground is........dry :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

To the best of my knowledge insurance is there at the minimum to protect others ( 3rd parties) from accidental loss and damage caused by the insured. When a comprehensive policy is paid for it will also protect you from your own accidental losses and damage including fire and theft. Where in driving through a flood does the factor "accidental" play a role ? It sounds harsh but as far as I can see there's nothing accidental about what happened.

I'd never encourage anyone to make a false insurance claim but if this was me, I would omit telling them I was on business.
    I've already warned about this in the thread, next time it'll be a week off.

• Advertisement

That's no excuse for fraud however.

Advertisement