Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car damaged in floods

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Can't anyone ask a question in this forum without getting the usual moral high-horse "i told you so" responses? :rolleyes:
    If you think they're wrong then address their points - all this accusing people of being on their high horses without any supporting argument is getting very old.

maidhc wrote: »
    Whether or not the OP is technically insured or not is one matter, BUT, they are not making a false claim in the sense of feigning an injury. The fact is the OP suffered damage and the insurance co is trying to avoid cover. There are different things.
    Your post made interesting reading, and I for one would not be a huge fan of insurance companies. That said, it appears to me that the insurance company is trying to avoid cover because Class II cover was neither sought nor paid for by the OP? I assume that the OP has thoroughly read through their policy document to see whether they are in fact covered under the terms of the policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

If your insurer can prove that you drove through a puddle they won't cover it as that was avoidable and your own fault. If you can prove that your underground car park etc flooded overnight and it was not avoidable / your fault, I think you may have a chance.
    Policies are due to increase 20% in 2010 before this flooding, who knows what will happen now with so many people "chancing" driving through 'puddles' and waterlocking(permanent engine damage) their car and then expected a new engine from their policy.

100gSoma wrote: »
    If your insurer can prove that you drove through a puddle they won't cover it as that was avoidable and your own fault. If you can prove that your underground car park etc flooded overnight and it was not avoidable / your fault, I think you may have a chance.
    This is in direct contradiction of a quote attributed to Michael Horan of the Irish Insurance Federation in this article, posted earlier in the thread: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/1125/1224259388500.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Anan1 wrote: »
    This is in direct contradiction of a quote attributed to Michael Horan of the Irish Insurance Federation in this article, posted earlier in the thread: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/1125/1224259388500.html

Well, I guess I was done by my insurer earlier in the year :( They would not pay out on my policy as I drove through a puddle intentionally and risked the damage of my own volition.
    I wish I had that article in February. :(

• Advertisement

Well, I guess I was done by my insurer earlier in the year :( They would not pay out on my policy as I drove through a puddle intentionally and risked the damage of my own volition.
    I wish I had that article in February. :(
    I'd give the IIF a call if I were you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Policies are due to increase 20% in 2010 before this flooding, who knows what will happen now with so many people "chancing" driving through 'puddles' and waterlocking(permanent engine damage) their car and then expected a new engine from their policy.
    That will be the least of your worries IMO - with Gormley pushing for his carbon taxes and Lenihan pushing to empty peoples wallets, we will have no money left to run our cars! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Has a mechanic actually looked at the car yet so see how much damage is done?

I few years ago, I drove into what I thought was a roadside puddle but turned out to be a 1 foot deep pool of water, I got about 100 feet down the road and then the car completely died and wouldn't even tick over.

I was leaving for a holiday that night so I just got the AA to tow me back home and left the car. After I told the AA guy what had happened, he told me I had sucked water into the engine and probably would need a new engine.

Came home a week later, turned the key and it worked!.

So maybe it just needs a good going over with a hair dryer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

jimoc wrote: »
    So maybe it just needs a good going over with a hair dryer :)

it works for phones why not for cars??? lol...or you could try puttin it in the hot press!!! between the tank and the insulation is best!!!

lucky yoy jimoc...got away nicely!!!

Advertisement