Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum Hall of Fame

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Killme00 wrote: »
    Fuzzbox

+1

HJ, Valor & Robinlacey. Although I'm unsure if the latter have 2k+ posts

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Killme00 wrote: »
    Fuzzbox

U know i heard if u say say his name 3 times in the mirror, he'll show up and post the next day! goin to try this tonight!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Ste didn't ask for people to nominate in this thread. He's only asking it it's a good or bad idea. If he asked for nominations, that would be a whole new ball game and i'm sure we'd get a lot more people on the list
    Also, this...
    Ste05 wrote: »
    I'll probably allow a week or so for discussions on the idea itself (if people think it's sh1te then we'll just bin it) and what criteria people think it should be based on (there can obviously be multiple criteria)
    Personally I was thinking along the lines of Muso, Laf, etc. who got the forum started in the first place and then kept the it going and growing.

Or maybe others might think it should go to the people like HJ, Fuzzbox, etc. who provided alot of people with good Theory advice down through the years.

Or maybe for people that you've just enjoyed reading throughout the years, e.g. El S, Yuletired, Hotspur, Lloyd, whoever...

Nothing wrong with discussing people too. I more meant a week long to discuss the idea, criteria for awarding it, the kind of people who you'd like to be given inducted, maybe as Kayroo says we should have multiple people inducted the first time round...

etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's more then just a hey is this a good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Steo this Hall of Fame lark is defo -> giggidy giggidy ghey.
    The BBV just rules this whole site for interesting randomness and it's creator deserves a box of Almond Magnums. I'll contribute. If you persist you should really stick to the older posters who must really be the original nerds and would appreciate it (giggidy giggidy take me baack to the BBV I don't like it out here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

I dunno. The forum gives back what you put in. Do people need the acclaim of their peers?

Is it a snub to certain people if others are awarded Hall of fame status? Is it demeaned if a load of people are entered in?

It would probably be nice to be acknowledged but really it comes under the heading of "internet serious business" for me.....

My view on the awards overall is that in certain categories they are useful (to reward people improving standards or to encourage some great posts) and provide something useful but some of them are just pure ego stuff. We are poker players. The heads are big enough already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hall of Fame threads > Hall of Fame posters fo' sho'

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe add a hidden results poll to expire in 2 days or something Ste? I'd do it, but I don't want to get roped into any of this awards lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

Amaru imo

5starpool wrote: »
    Maybe add a hidden results poll to expire in 2 days or something Ste? I'd do it, but I don't want to get roped into any of this awards lark.
    Seems like a good idea... I'll add one now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭toHex

and what criteria people think it should be based on

for criteria I would go for total word count on "meh", "ghey" & "imo"

meh, should find you the ghey you're looking for imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

In general A Hall of Fame is a good idea. You have to decipher who ya let into it though because some of the guys that dont post here who started it off are not none by everyone and then you have the day to day posters such as Stunty Lloyd Ollyk etc who`d all warrant consideration to be inducted as all are very valuable to this forum.
    Everyone bar Yuletired...:D only joking willie your on my list too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I like it.
    However, it may bring the whole 'clique' issue up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

ollyk1 wrote: »
    I dunno. The forum gives back what you put in. Do people need the acclaim of their peers?

What about the acclaim of their Peer2Peer's?

Il get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kebabfest

i read all this ****. **** I need to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

hidden results ffs i only voted so i could see the results

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    So, apart from the post that nominates a group of people, there are only 2 actual qualifying nomination posts, and one of those is clearly a joke nomination.

I think this particular one might have to be retired.

NH, I count more than 2.
    I guess it's subjective.

You've got us guessing though Dom!

Yours quietly confident,
    The Rigger

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I like it.
    However, it may bring the whole 'clique' issue up again.
    Good point.

Ahh the auld R4AD vs HJ rows, them were the good days. :)

Bump another day to get your vote in.

And should it go ahead any other criteria's you think might be worth discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Bump another day to get your vote in.

And should it go ahead any other criteria's you think might be worth discussing.
    Troll of Fame award , I nominate... ah feck it I forget his name .
    (with me 2nd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomturpin

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Room for these lads?
    Just curious, did Robert Matthew Van Winkle ghost write yer bios?!?

• Advertisement

So the poll is closed and still we cannot see the results, whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Iago wrote: »
    Hyzepher,Lafortezza, Mewso, DeVore, Amp, Papa Smut, Henbane, gerire, Mr. Pudding, Juan Pablo, Marq, Spiritus, KenCleary, Whiteshadow, Davey Devil, Krusty_Clown, Samson, & KarlH

Jesus. Those were the days. What strikes me is that back in the day the boards poker forum was utterly unknown outside of this crowd, and the sense of community was extremely strong. My first home game was at Ken Cleary's apartment; I remember my first BSOP heat in the batflat with Whiteshadow and Krusty; the best homegame I've ever played was at Juan Pablo's; I've worked with DeVore, Amp, and Spiritus; been to Vegas with KarlH and Mewso; and Lafortezza and Henbane are both really good friends of mine to this day. I read some of Samson's books. And everyone remembers when Davey Devil lucksacked an outright win in the Fitz EOM after winning a ticket in the weekly freeroll and was hailed as a hero by all.

When the poker forum started everyone knew each other, we used to meet on thursday evenings outside Larry Murphy's where we'd have a few drinks and smoke some smooth camel filters before heading in to play the freeroll in the fitz like it was the the Main Event of the World Series.

These days I'd say half the posters don't even play live, let alone know each other. It strikes me that the poker forum's development has mirrored to some extent the development of poker in this country in the last five years. Having been closely involved with Poker and this forum in all that time I'm amazed by how much has changed.

Gary you left out Bohsman, Samba and Dappergent, and maybe a couple of others not even I can remember.

Really should try and organise a homegame of the old boys.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So the poll is closed and still we cannot see the results, whats up with that?
    Should be visible now...

The result is

Yes: 43 (48%)
    No : 30 (33%)
    AJ : 17 (19%)

Should be visible now...

The result is

Yes: 43 (48%)
    No : 30 (33%)
    AJ : 17 (19%)
    Hmm, another poll maybe without an Atari Jaguar option? That really messed up the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Atari Jaguar has long been considered to be a "don't care" option. Only cooler. Much cooler.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Hmm, another poll maybe without an Atari Jaguar option? That really messed up the poll.
    No it didn't. The AJ option is perfect there.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Atari Jaguar has long been considered to be a "don't care" option. Only cooler. Much cooler.
    And the beauty of it is, anyone that doesn't know this shouldn't be voting in this poll and hence it works especially perfectly here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement