Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Dessert?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so this year I have been put in charge of making the dessert for the xmas dinner. I do a decent blackberry cheesecake but I'd like to try something new, preferably something not too fiddly/tricky to make?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Here's an idea from Nigella .. Eton Mess
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQF12AlJts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mackleton wrote: »
    Hey all, so this year I have been put in charge of making the dessert for the xmas dinner. I do a decent blackberry cheesecake but I'd like to try something new, preferably something not too fiddly/tricky to make?

Christmas dinner must have at least three deserts.

Seriously.

Apple Tart
    Trifle
    Pavlova

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

you wil need something light as after christmas dinner every one is always stuffed!! i presonally love some xmas pudding with some custard!
    but mayb try making some chocolate biscuit cake , nice and tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Agreed on the light desserts. Something like an ice-cream or sorbet, jelly, tiramisu, pannacotta, fruit fool, mousse, parfait, poached/baked fruit, etc. You could also adapt your blackberry cheesecake by serving it layered in tall glasses, made into a terrine in a loaf pan... just for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

enda1 wrote: »
    Christmas dinner must have at least three deserts.

Seriously.

Apple Tart
    Trifle
    Pavlova

Woah, we don't have any dessert - no-one would eat it as everyone is so stuffed after dinner! After Eights are my own special choice after the dinner. Plus I'm fussy in the extreme when it comes to dessert :pac:

OP, how about roast peaches with cinnamon and honey? Ice-cream optional. That wouldn't be too heavy and it's kinda festive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We have pud & trifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

olaola wrote: »
    We have pud & trifle.

We'd have the pudding and Christmas cake later like a second desert with a port or something!

Check out Nevin Maguire's whiskey cake for a great simple cake to make. It's seriously easy and seriously nice. Don't be put off by the Whiskey, cause its hardly noticeable either. The cake is very festive also.

Good luck ;)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/marianfinucane/1185384.html
    PEAR, GINGER & WHISKEY CAKE (serves 6-8)
    for the topping
    75 g (3 oz) butter
    125 g (4 1/2 oz) light muscovado sugar
    2 tablespoons whiskey
    4 ripe fat pears

for the gingerbread
    100 g (4 oz) butter
    175 g (6 oz) plain flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    pinch ground cloves
    2 eggs, beaten
    175 g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar
    125 g (4 1/2 oz) black treacle
    200 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) milk
    2 tablespoons whiskey
    Whipped cream, to serve

Method
    Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Butter a 23 cm (9 inch) non-stick springform cake tin and line the base with non-stick parchment paper.

To make the topping, melt the butter and sugar together in a small pan over a medium-low heat until bubbling, then continue to cook for a few minutes, until creamy and toffee coloured, stirring occasionally. Add the whiskey to the pan, swirling to combine. Pour into the cake tin, tipping the tin to spread the whiskey toffee evenly over the base.

Peel the pears, then cut in half and cut out their stalk and cores. Arrange the pears cut side down on top of the toffee mixture, with the stalk ends pointing in towards the centre.

To make the gingerbread, melt the butter in a small pan or in the microwave, then set aside to cool slightly. Sift the flour into a large bowl with the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.

In a separate bowl, mix the reserved melted butter with the beaten eggs, sugar, treacle, milk and whiskey. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually add the liquid, mixing gently to make a smooth batter. Pour into the tin over the pears. Bake for about 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer pushed into the middle of the pudding comes out barely moist.

Transfer to a wire rack and leave the pudding to cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake to make sure it isn't sticking.

Put on some oven gloves and place a large plate on top of the cake tin. Turn the whole thing over as quickly as possible.

To serve, cut into slices and arrange on plates while still warm. Add a dollop of whipped cream to each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Malari wrote: »
    OP, how about roast peaches with cinnamon and honey? Ice-cream optional. That wouldn't be too heavy and it's kinda festive too.

Hmm I like this poached fruit idea or perhaps the panna cotta? Is that tricky to make?

Definitely something light, but we have decided to pass on starters this year and go directly to the main event, so there will hopefully be room for a nice dessert!

Keep the ideas coming folks, all great so far thanks! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

banoffi:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Mackleton wrote: »
    Hmm I like this poached fruit idea or perhaps the panna cotta? Is that tricky to make?

Nah, panna cotta is very easy, think of it as jelly made with cream. Here's an appropriate recipe for you, that combines both panna cotta and poached fruit: "Christmas Panna Cotta with Poached Figs", with another variation here that uses christmas pudding in the panna cotta itself.
    Most traditional desserts use dried fruit, nuts, spices, alcohol, butter, cream. That recipe is nice as it combines most of those elements but in a lighter way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

irishbird wrote: »
    banoffi:)

Has to be Banoffi Pie!! Love it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

The Last few years we've had christmas pudding Ice-cream and it has been lovely...this isn't exactly the same recipe as we use but it's close :

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/christmas/pages/icecreampudding.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trifle, with as much sherry as you can shake a stick at added.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Toblerone cheesecake. Basically cheesecake with smashed up bits of toblerone. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We usually have Christmas Pudding ice cream but this year I'm thinking of making Apple Tarts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Des wrote: »
    Trifle, with as much sherry as you can shake a stick at added.

OMG, i am still in shock over your mother's sherry trifle last christmas, there must have been 2 bottles of the stuff in in:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

irish_goat wrote: »
    Toblerone cheesecake. Basically cheesecake with smashed up bits of toblerone. Amazing.

Great minds! I was just looking at different cheesecake recipes there, I'm thinking of doing either Toblerone or chocolate orange!

I am a whiz with a cheesecake as well, so I think we have our finalists:

A) Toblerone
    B) Chocolate orange

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement