Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Full List of Adventure Races

• 25-11-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am looking to compile a list of all adventure races in Ireland. I am aware of Achill Roar, Gaelforce West, Wicklow Adventure Race. Could anyone add to this list as I am having difficulty tracking down other events of this kind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

I help plan the Diamond Quest Ireland event which is another one the same as those you've listed, hill run, short kayak and road bike, it run for the first time last year, only planned differences in 2010 will be cheaper entry fee, and a new relay section, one runner who will also kayak and hand over to the road biker. 2010 date is 5th June.

Other events which I plan are the Causeway Coast Adventure Race series, most of which run in the north, last race for this year is this coming Saturday, online entry to close this Thursday. Dates for next year still TBC.

Cooley Raid, 24hr+ race which just run there at the start of November and it's little brother the Cuchulainn Challenge 8hr which formed the first stage of the Raid. 2010 date TBC.

The Beast of Ballyhoura which is a 36hr event but also has shorter events running along side. August Bank Holiday.

CLEC which is a long standing race in Ireland for teams of 3 in the Cooley Mountains. July time.

Killbroney Challenge which has run for the last 3 years in the Mournes. June time.

Total Experince in Blessington. April this year.

Rat Races, Belfast and Galway.

NAM in Kerry.

All of these can be found on Google and you can keep up to date with them on Sleepmonsters.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

good thread, going to be keeping my eye on this

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rubberducky1888

Causeway wrote: »
    I help plan the Diamond Quest Ireland event which is another one the same as those you've listed, hill run, short kayak and road bike, it run for the first time last year, only planned differences in 2010 will be cheaper entry fee, and a new relay section, one runner who will also kayak and hand over to the road biker. 2010 date is 5th June.

Other events which I plan are the Causeway Coast Adventure Race series, most of which run in the north, last race for this year is this coming Saturday, online entry to close this Thursday. Dates for next year still TBC.

Cooley Raid, 24hr+ race which just run there at the start of November and it's little brother the Cuchulainn Challenge 8hr which formed the first stage of the Raid. 2010 date TBC.

The Beast of Ballyhoura which is a 36hr event but also has shorter events running along side. August Bank Holiday.

CLEC which is a long standing race in Ireland for teams of 3 in the Cooley Mountains. July time.

Killbroney Challenge which has run for the last 3 years in the Mournes. June time.

Total Experince in Blessington. April this year.

Rat Races, Belfast and Galway.

NAM in Kerry.

All of these can be found on Google and you can keep up to date with them on Sleepmonsters.ie
    Thanks for your post on the adventure race thread, I'm hoping it will become a great help to other people like me who are trying to get more involved in this sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

great thread

I'll be putting all the dates onto the calander of Sleepmonsters.ie, if you know of any more give me a shout and i'll add them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good stuff. Out of interest, can that calendar be exported to Google calendar?

Don't think so.

Edit No it can't.

You can select an event area, so for 2009 if you selected Ireland from the drop down tab you get this page with all the listed events in Ireland.

Sleepmonsters.ie race calander has now been updated, there's still a few events to be added and many of the races need details updated by the planners. If you are one of the planners or if you know any of the planners please let them know about the calander so that they can update the details.

Happy Racing in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

can't find the thread but this link was posted a while back on boards http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/race-calendar/

lists all the triathlons and adventure races planned for 2010, there are some missing off it total experience in april is not there nor are the rat races, the causeway race date have still to tba, they have the 4 peaks down as an adventure race dunno if it could be classified as that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

does anyone know what the Nam race is down in kerry or what it might involve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

From an email..

Just a quick email to let you know that Cappanalea OEC has set its dates for next year’s Adventure races. The first event Ras na Ri is a new one day event, it features three disciplines Mountain Running, Biking and Canoeing. The date is set for Saturday 3rd July 2010.
    There will also be the return of the National Adventure Marathon with a tweaked format. The dates for this are 13th – 15th August 2010.

A google search for "Cappanalea OEC" should do the trick.
    The NAM was one of the original and best of the ould outdoor weekender events, up to 10 stages and both nights in a bed beside a pub. Brilliant stuff. It had savage time penalties for overrunning time limits or not completing stages and required brains, puzzle solving ability, teamwork, logistics, strategy, planning and of course fitness.
    I myself managed to put my team from way out in first all the waaayyyy down to 6th with one teeny weeny nav error on an estimated time stage. Ahh yes, the good old days..

:D I think Peter's itsy bitsy little nav boo-boo has to be the most remembered moment in the history of Irish adventure racing.

NAM is my favourite adventure race anywhere (and I've done a lot of them). I love the combination of fun, sociabilty, physical challenge and mental challenge. Of all the races I've ever done its the one were the ability to think counts for most.

Its teams of 4 (any mix). Runs over 3 days, and is usally around 10 stages. Food and accomodation are included in the race fee. Because it is a staged race all the teams get to meet up at the start and finish of each stage, and during transportation between stages and at meals and accomodation. As a result there is normally a fantastic atmosphere during the whole event.

DETAILS FROM LAST YEARS FLYER
    It’s back by popular demand the National Adventure Marathon,
    affectionately known as NAM.
    This event is run by Cappanalea OEC which is situated in a perfect
    wilderness location on the mountainous shores of Caragh
    Lake. The centre which was established in 1981, has many
    years of experience in running the National Adventure Marathon.
    The unique format of NAM, which was one of the first adventure
    races in Ireland, quickly earned itself a reputation for being a
    very well organised and challenging event covering all wilderness
    areas Cork and Kerry.
    NAM is a weekend event, which starts Friday evening and runs
    through to Sunday lunchtime. There are 10 individual stages
    including two night stages.
    NAM is a combination of several disciplines, including Navigation
    and Orienteering, Mountain Biking, Paddling, Mountain
    Running as well as Team Initiatives and Rafting.
    This gruelling adventure race is open to teams of four who will
    be tested on both physical and mental power. All team members
    will require a very high level of fitness and endurance as
    well as expertise in a variety of outdoor skills.
    There will be no cash prizes only the honour of your team being
    immortalised on the impressive perpetual trophy.
    The National Adventure Marathon is scheduled to take place on
    the Friday 15th—17th May 2009. The all inclusive cost per
    team is €1,200. The NAM event is limited to a total of 14
    teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RMac

Kilbroney Challenge is on in Rostrevor - Saturday 19 June 2010

www.kilbroneychallenge.com for more info

The Kilbroney Challenge is a brilliant race, a step up from the road biking multisport races in that you actually get to use a mountain bike on nice trails.
    and they have the best jerseys:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Second PeterX on Kilbroney as a fun fun race in a nice place over challenging terrain - This year will be more accessible to many as I think they are going to mark the course so Navigation skills will not be required :mad: and also have opened it up to Solo sorts tho personally I think the pairs event is better fun:).

I have compiled a list of all the Adv Race and other Fun stuff like Runamuck, Liffey Descent, etc that I know of on a publicly accessible gmail calendar that you can import into your own.
    Checkout the Calendar section of www.msai.ie

Please note the changed dates for some events like Diamond Quest and Ras Na Ríocht which are different to those given earlier in this thread.

ps
    I was on that team with PeterX in NAM and for sure it is one of those never to be forgotten moments where a 40min nav error was multiplied into 200 mins by their penalty system and we ended up eventually losing the whole competition by a mere 51 mins and to a team of Limeys too :eek:!

Good job on the calendar Paul.

Tks Eoin.

Will be good to get to compete in some alongside the organising bits this year.

Full details of the NAM and Rás Na Ríocht races now on-line at http://www.adventureracingkerry.com/

Excuseless wrote: »
    I have compiled a list of all the Adv Race and other Fun stuff like Runamuck, Liffey Descent, etc that I know of on a publicly accessible gmail calendar that you can import into your own.
    Checkout the Calendar section of www.msai.ie

Would be great if you could include the Cooley Raid and CCAR dates on your calendar Paul ;)

No prob Ivan - Done now.

Have the CCAR events in now and the Oct date for the Cooley Raid. I had put the nov date based on the event website when I did the calendar a while back:).

The 2009 date of 7/8th Nov is still on the CR website in a couple of places so worth changing that whenever you get the chance to avoid possible confusion.

The Cooley Raid is a well organised race well worth aiming for at the end of the season for those that can navigate and fancy a bit of LOOOOOOOOOONG AR - Even had international representation last year from Denmark.

The one day CCAR races are an ideal introduction to off road AR events with some navigation requirement and with the requirement for team of 2 it is def more accessible than making teams of 4. Joan's home baking at the end is reason enough to do them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

August is going to be alot of fun :-) . . good calendar Excuseless, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

If you've been there and done that in Triathlon then why not try Éireman X the off road Tri....
    Its not everyday you get to carry your bike through rivers and up forest hills with a bit of technical stuff and fast stuff thrown in.
    Then for the run you have to run through 5 x rivers (only).
    www.eireman.org Limited to 200 entires
    Swim is 750m
    Bike 10km
    Run is 5km (ish)
    Mountain bike required

Maybe you'd also put this on the calendar pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Here's another one at the end of May

http://www.waterfordadventurerace.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

showry wrote: »
    Here's another one at the end of May

http://www.waterfordadventurerace.com/

Lads I need more notice!

That race looks good. I'm signed up for West Wicklow Roar already and that's already clashing with an IMRA race and Belpark's Kilcock Triathlon.

Lads I need more notice!

That race looks good. I'm signed up for West Wicklow Roar already and that's already clashing with an IMRA race and Belpark's Kilcock Triathlon.

Clashes with the Diamond Quest too!

eoin ryan wrote: »
    If you've been there and done that in Triathlon then why not try Éireman X the off road Tri....
    Its not everyday you get to carry your bike through rivers and up forest hills with a bit of technical stuff and fast stuff thrown in.
    Then for the run you have to run through 5 x rivers (only).
    www.eireman.org Limited to 200 entires
    Swim is 750m
    Bike 10km
    Run is 5km (ish)
    Mountain bike required

Maybe you'd also put this on the calendar pls

That's extemely tame stuff in an adventure racing thread, just so you know! (although the swim would kill me).

There's a huge amount of clashes this year... which is mostly a good sign as the number of races is growing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

The number of races might be growing but they're all road biking races and what not.
    Very few hardcore seriously technical races - in both nav and mtb around.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

OcNoc,

Check out the ballyhoura beast/blitz/challange. i did the blitz last year and it was super. A bunch of us are debating whether we will go for the beast this year.

I survived the beast last year. Epic race, should be more of them imo.
    If you tackle the beast make sure you are mentally strong and have at least one navigator. The course is usually tough enough without adding an extra few clicks to it

• Advertisement

ocnoc wrote: »
    The number of races might be growing but they're all road biking races and what not.

Kilbroney Challenge - some of the best mountainbiking the Mournes has to offer with a few good runs in the hills thrown in for good measure. Only about 3km on the road the rest is off road.

www.kilbroneychallenge.com

Oh and you get a map too!!

Kilbroney challenge - the best jerseys too :D

ocnoc wrote: »

Very true unfortunately. A lot of the new races are very tame affairs. Still, there are quite a few genuine adventure races (as opposed to souped up triathalons) around, as has been mentionsed (Beast, NAM, CLEC, Causway Coast races, Kilbroney). The Beast and NAM do standout for me though as being the most challenging (and the best, IMHO). There are a few good endurance navigation events too, particularly the Rogaine and the Mourne Mountain Marathon.

The other thing that is missing in a big way in most Irish races is a genuinely challenging kayaking section (As opposed to a token dip in the water on SOTs). Kayaking has always been one of the big 3 events in AR, and remains a very important and significantly competitive part of most of the world's most prestigous adventure races.

I'd love to know why the vast majority of Gael Force / WAR / ROAR type racers don't try their hand at the more traditional ARs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

Well we are hoping to have a go at the beast this year. I suppose the reason is there is a pretty big jump from something like GF/WAR to something like the beast. I have never abseiled, done proper kayaking or navigation. These are all things that you can't just go and do. Maybe thats why people are slower to sign on for the full on AR.

Glad to hear you're stepping up to the beast. Enjoy the training and the race itself.

You're right of course that its a big leap from GF style events to the Beast... but then the Beast is probably top of the pile in this country in terms of difficulty. There are easier steps, like the CLEC, or the Causeway Coast run ARs (particularly the one day versions).

I hear what you're saying WRT abeiling, kayaking and nav, all things I had to pick up myself over the years. It's a pity if what you say is the case, but you're probably right. Maybe its fear of the unknown, or lack of ambition that holds people back. For team events only one out of four people needs to be able to navigate, so a lot of people can and do race these events with no navigational ability. Abseiling takes very little skill, and can be picked up in minutes. It's more a fun interlude than anything else in most ARs.

Longer distance kayaking on SOTs takes just the same (lack of) skill as short kayaking on SOTs, and I think all the races in Ireland supply kayaks for racers. The simple idea of allowing people/teams to use their own kayaks in races (like in the WAR) would be the easiest way to encourage people to improve their kayaking, without eliminating anyone's ability to complete the race (keep the current system for those that don't have them).

Enduro wrote: »
    Very true unfortunately. A lot of the new races are very tame affairs. Still, there are quite a few genuine adventure races (as opposed to souped up triathalons) around, as has been mentionsed (Beast, NAM, CLEC, Causway Coast races, Kilbroney). The Beast and NAM do standout for me though as being the most challenging (and the best, IMHO). There are a few good endurance navigation events too, particularly the Rogaine and the Mourne Mountain Marathon.

Don't forget to include the Coolyraid.com in the above list. This is fast becoming one of the main races to take part in, in Ireland.

The other thing that is missing in a big way in most Irish races is a genuinely challenging kayaking section (As opposed to a token dip in the water on SOTs). Kayaking has always been one of the big 3 events in AR, and remains a very important and significantly competitive part of most of the world's most prestigous adventure races.

I'd love to know why the vast majority of Gael Force / WAR / ROAR type racers don't try their hand at the more traditional ARs.

Don't forget the www.Diamondquestirelreand.com
    Glad to hear you're stepping up to the beast. Enjoy the training and the race itself.

You're right of course that its a big leap from GF style events to the Beast... but then the Beast is probably top of the pile in this country in terms of difficulty. There are easier steps, like the CLEC, or the Causeway Coast run ARs (particularly the one day versions).

I hear what you're saying WRT abeiling, kayaking and nav, all things I had to pick up myself over the years. It's a pity if what you say is the case, but you're probably right. Maybe its fear of the unknown, or lack of ambition that holds people back. For team events only one out of four (In some cases only one out of 2) people needs to be able to navigate, so a lot of people can and do race these events with no navigational ability. Abseiling takes very little skill, and can be picked up in minutes. It's more a fun interlude than anything else in most ARs. (the CCAR events are all covered by folks who know what they are doing, so you'll be in good hands the whole way)

Longer distance kayaking on SOTs takes just the same (lack of) skill as short kayaking on SOTs, and I think all the races in Ireland supply kayaks for racers. The simple idea of allowing people/teams to use their own kayaks in races (like in the WAR) would be the easiest way to encourage people to improve their kayaking, without eliminating anyone's ability to complete the race (keep the current system for those that don't have them).

Good idea but it'll be interesting to see how it works during the WAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

A couple of reasons of mine are as follows :
    1. navigation - not sure I have the time to learn about this and dont want the guys from the coastguards helicopter or the mayo/mourne etc mountain rescue teams explaining this to me !!
    2. Knowledge - GF/Roar are all well advertised. If it wasnt for boards I wouldn't know about 70% of whats out there.
    3.Mountain bike - only have 1 road bike bought last year for tris, again not sure if I can learn this as its a skill , not that road racing is not a skill but its a little more black and white.
    4.Preception : GF/Roar/WAR rightly or wrongly seem to have a place for every Tom/Dick or Harriet . the events you guys enter seem hardcore and expectation would be that to participate you need to be at a high end level of fitness .
    This is my preception but I know from these forums that you guys are very welcoming .(no good to me when I am 4hrs behind and the guys are waiting to dismantle the tents!!).

GF/Roar are a huge gateway into the AR's and should be embraced , eventhough they are not for the purists . Roar was advertised at GF last year (flyer) and this was a huge success.
    Am planning to get a few more of these in over the next few months/years so you may have 1 more to add to to your camp.

Thanks for the input there toomuchdetail. That's all good information to hear (particularly for the race organisers I would imagine). Just to follow up:

(1) Would you (or others) not consider finding a teammate who can navigate and let them take care of that particular problem (even the top teams in the world do this!).

(3) Just a personal note... the biggest gain I made out of doing ARs was discovering Mountainbiking. Give it a go... its the most fun you can have in Ireland!!

(4) That's an interesting point, and not one I'd have picked up on. The likes of the causeway coast races are pitched at a very beginner friendly level, whereas I would percieve GF and WAR as pitching themselves as harder races than they actually are (Like WAR making a claim in their advertising that its the toughest AR in Ireland (Obviously nonsense to anyone who knows the scene)). Like I say... definitely interesting to hear the perception on this.

Couldn't agree more with you that GF and the like ARs are to be embraced as gateway races for the other ARs, and I know most of the race directors also think this.

Good to hear you're planning to give some other races ago... as ever fire away here or on sleepmonsters with any queries or issues you come accross in your training/planning.

Causeway wrote: »
    Don't forget the www.Diamondquestirelreand.com

Good idea but it'll be interesting to see how it works during the WAR.

Whoops.... Should definitely have mentioned the Cooley Raid alright... another good challenging AR.

It's another huge mystery to me as to why Diamond Quest doesn't get the same numbers as GF/ROAR/WAR, as its exactly the same style of race in a super location, with plenty of effort put into marketing.

This is all way off topic and could maybe be hived off into a separate topic but anyway;

A big reason why multi day AR racing struggles is the marketing.
    If you continually promote your events as the toughest, the hardest, the longest and so on you cannot be surprised when people avoid them. (generic "you" by the way)
    GF12 is a classic example, it died a death whereas the happy friendly easily achievable GF6 is now massive.
    another big reason is the commitment, equipment and training required for an AR race.
    Some sports are niche, that's just the way of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Narrowlad

Nobody has spoke of the Total Experience Adventure Race.
    Dose this race not rate with experienced foke?

• Advertisement

it should be a great race, the weather gods should still be smiling come Saturday. It might be getting less advertising as it's a team event and thus possibly less folk will be doing it.
    solo events such as ROAR are easier to get yourself organised for.

It would be a natural progression from the likes of ROAR to this race in that;

you need 3 friends
    One of ye should be able to read a map

Apart from those caveats it will possibly be more fun:)

Narrowlad wrote: »

Did this event last year and couldn't rate it high enough.

Paul McArthur sums it up well here in his blog.

If you're already in for it you enjoy it.

Thanks Peter and Causeway,
    I saw you on Saturday Peter you looked Savage!

Narrowlad wrote: »

Just to add another vote, its a superb race, and well balanced enough to be good for both experienced and beginner racers.

Peterx wrote: »
    It would be a natural progression from the likes of ROAR to this race in that;
    you need 3 friends
    One of ye should be able to read a map

Go to any orienteering event and ask is anyone interested in giving up their weekend for a day in the mountains - you'd be surprised how many would be up for it. Kinda like hill runners but without the need to follow tapes, in fact I know many that get confused when they see tape :P

Thanks Enduro. Will you all come back next week and tell me how it went on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MteeBBiker

The beast is back for 2010!!

The Beast of Ballyhoura Adventure Weekend takes place over the August Bank Holiday Weekend, Jul 30th–Aug 2nd 2010 www.ballyhourabeast.com for more details.

Have a look at the website and there is also a blog on http://ballyhourabeast.wordpress.com/.

Advertisement