Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Liverpool go all out to win the Europa League?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

redout wrote: »
    I reckon Valencia are the biggest threat then possibly Bayern. Nobody else there is even worth a mention to be frank.

Disagree. Hamburg, Werder Bremen, Shakhtar and Galatasaray all have massive chances in this and would be a lot better than some of the crap in this years CL. I mean Liverpool wont win it anyway whether they go all out to win it or not. Any team that struggles to beat the worst team in the CL i.e. Debrecen havnt a hope. The only team Liverpool beat in an average group were Debrecen and that was 2-0 on aggregate.

I reckon Valencia are the biggest threat then possibly Bayern. Nobody else there is even worth a mention to be frank.

Are you joking? 1st of all have you watched Liverpool lately? And second of all, every team I have highlighted there is capable of beating Liverpool over a 2 legged cup tie. And I'm sure ones that aren't highlighted are also capable (don't forget how badly Barca struggled with Rubin Kazxan for example). The Europa League is a tough competition to win.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    some pretty good sides likely to be in it tbh!
    Ajax
    Lille
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Sporting Lisbon
    Basel
    Galatasary
    Red Bull Salzburg
    Fenerbache
    Benfica
    Shakhtar
    PSV
    Werder Bremen

Europa Runners up

Anderlecht
    Valencia
    Hamburg
    Hertha Berlin
    Roma
    Panathinaikos
    Villareal
    Twente
    Everton
    CLub Brugge
    Sparta Praha
    Athletic Bilbao

CL Dropouts

Bayern Munich

CSKA moscow
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid
    Liverpool
    Rubin Kazan
    Stuttgard
    Standard Liege:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought it was disgraceful that Martin O'Neill undermined the competition last season and I'll say the same if Benitez does it.

Silverware is silverware, and it is the second biggest European club competition so we're talking Intertoto or anything.

More poor league form and an early defeat in the FA could mean this is the only thing to look forward to come February anyway.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I thought it was disgraceful that Martin O'Neill undermined the competition last season and I'll say the same if Benitez does it.

Silverware is silverware, and it is the second biggest European club competition so we're talking Intertoto or anything.

More poor league form and an early defeat in the FA could mean this is the only thing to look forward to come February anyway.

That was stupid alright and I think it was the 1/4 finals or the round before it. Totally backfired on him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

This thread gives the impression that Liverpool are capable of winning the Europa League which on current form is not being realistic.

Going all out to win it means fielding Gerrard and Torres together from the start of every match.

Not worth the risk (particularly away from home) if Liverpool want champions league football next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You would think so wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I think they have to have a decent run to balance the books and finance the debt. Also a team of Liverpools stature should be expected to at least compete at the latter stages of the competition even with a slightened weakened squad.
    Question though - if they do win it would they not have to defend it next year? Even if they do manage to make the top 4 and qualify for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rob113 wrote: »
    Question though - if they do win it would they not have to defend it next year? Even if they do manage to make the top 4 and qualify for the CL.

No

How long before we get a proper European League. Which could be run concurrently along Premiership.
    Two divisions of lets say eight teams in it. Division one would comprise of Barcelona, United, Pool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid and Milan.
    Bottom team would play top team in Division two in a play off for spot next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How long before we get a proper European League. Which could be run concurrently along Premiership.
    Two divisions of lets say eight teams in it. Division one would comprise of Barcelona, United, Pool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid and Milan.
    Bottom team would play top team in Division two in a play off for spot next season.

Why would Pool be in it? :confused:

Surely a team in the latter stages of the most recent Champions League should be in there first, and there are another 9 of them on top of the ones you've listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

And so the rich would just get richer.

I hate the idea of a european super league. I am happy with my national league and want it to stay that way. I also like having the Champs League as it is.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would Pool be in it? :confused:

Co-efficients? I think pool would be in the top 8 over the last few years performances, certainly better than Inter/Juve and probably others mentioned.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    And so the rich would just get richer.

I hate the idea of a european super league. I am happy with my national league and want it to stay that way. I also like having the Champs League as it is.

Co-efficients? I think pool would be in the top 8 over the last few years performances, certainly better than Inter/Juve and probably others mentioned.
    Yes Pools overall record in champions league is good enough to put them in division one. I name those eight teams because they are still more or less the top eight teams in Europe. I know we play chelsea and united in the league but I think the chance to play them in Europe would be good.
    I mean when was last time we played United in Europe. Know there are probably issues in relation to crowd control and all that but would love to see it happen.

Yes Pools overall record in champions league is good enough to put them in division one. I name those eight teams because they are still more or less the top eight teams in Europe. I know we play chelsea and united in the league but I think the chance to play them in Europe would be good.
    I mean when was last time we played United in Europe. Know there are probably issues in relation to crowd control and all that but would love to see it happen.

I would have thought you would be sick of playing Chelsea in Europe by now (although I assume this year Pool fans would jump at the chance :D).

What do ya mean with crowd control issues?

I would have thought you would be sick of playing Chelsea in Europe by now (although I assume this year Pool fans would jump at the chance :D).

What do ya mean with crowd control issues?
    Never grow tired of playing chelsea. Re the crowd control issues, games with United are lunch time kick offs. Would assume thats down to crowd safety issues.

Never grow tired of playing chelsea. Re the crowd control issues, games with United are lunch time kick offs. Would assume thats down to crowd safety issues.

Well yeah i think the issue is that they dont want fans in the pub all day. As the champs league games are on weekday evenings (i.e. people at work) it would be much less of a problem i think. Or at least i'd like to hope anyway. People would get home from work and only have an hour or so before KO obviously not the case for the early KO's at the weekend if left at 3.

edit: think we've gone wayyy of topic though

• Advertisement

A European Elitist League would ruin football and it would become boring after a while seeing the same teams play each other over and over again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea a little exclusive league would be a disaster anyway,
    I think keep people keep on missing that it's around 3 or 4 months until we will have a game to play, approximately 1/3 of the league season will be played between now and then if we were to pick up say 10 wins or more in that period it would be a very different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, its like winning the league cup, but I'd actually say the League Cup is harder to win imo.

PHB wrote: »
    Personally, its like winning the league cup, but I'd actually say the League Cup is harder to win imo.

Ya right - how in Gods name is the League Cup harder to win? If you cant beat the Arsenal U-18 team or the Utd/Chelsea rejects then you havnt got a hope of winning the Europa League where you have to travel to the ends of the earth on a Thurs evening encountering monsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this made me laugh. thanks.

i know it's fun to kick a club when they're down, but at least stay within the realms of realism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Bandit12 wrote: »
    They need to forget about this joke europa league and concentrate on winning the league.

good luck with that eh...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

i always laugh when people knock down the Europa league as being "mickey Mouse" etc. Lets see how Liverpool fans are reacting when/if theyre in the final stages come April and May.

Its a tough tournament IMO, obviously not the glitz and glamour of the Champions league but lets look at some the teams who should be there come the latter stages.

Ajax, Valencia, Sporting Lisbon, Galatasaray, Roma, Villareal, Fenerbahce, Atletico, Lazio, PSV.

There are potentially some big ties for Liverpool in there.

Well yeah i think the issue is that they dont want fans in the pub all day. As the champs league games are on weekday evenings (i.e. people at work) it would be much less of a problem i think. Or at least i'd like to hope anyway. People would get home from work and only have an hour or so before KO obviously not the case for the early KO's at the weekend if left at 3.

edit: think we've gone wayyy of topic though
    No we are talking about the Europa league and Im talking about a proper European league. And remember Dalglish previously put forward the idea of a European league. Thats the way it will probably go. European league will replace champions league in terms of importantce, Champions league will replace Europa league, and Europa League will some day be won by some pub team from Donegal. Opposition team wont be able to handle the arctic conditions and will just head off to the local pub where Andy Reid will entertain them on the guitar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Eirebear wrote: »
    i always laugh when people knock down the Europa league as being "mickey Mouse" etc. Lets see how Liverpool fans are reacting when/if theyre in the final stages come April and May.

Its a tough tournament IMO, obviously not the glitz and glamour of the Champions league but lets look at some the teams who should be there come the latter stages.

Ajax, Valencia, Sporting Lisbon, Galatasaray, Roma, Villareal, Fenerbahce, Atletico, Lazio, PSV.

There are potentially some big ties for Liverpool in there.

big ties but **** money

CR9 has earned more money sitting on his ass out injured than the winning team will get for euro success...

and Liverpool 'need' CL money. NOT **** euro league money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

big ties but **** money

CR9 has earned more money sitting on his ass out injured than the winning team will get for euro success...

Is this like a **** sock but for rich people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

big ties but **** money

TBH im not too informed on Liverpools cash situation, so im purely talking from a football perspective.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is this like a **** sock but for rich people?
    End of the day, Clark (sorry Flahavaj) champions league tv money is where its at. And dont think we will get much change from Channel 6 or sky one or whoever is showing the Europa league. Rafa will be focusing solely on getting a top four place. That will be his priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

End of the day, Clark (sorry Flahavaj) champions league tv money is where its at. And dont think we will get much change from Channel 6 or sky one or whoever is showing the Europa league. Rafa will be focusing solely on getting a top four place. That will be his priority.

That is the number one aim. There is, however, absolutely no reason not to be able to get top 4 as well as giving a damn good showing in the Europa League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

^^^^^^^^^^^

Didn't get it. Having a bad off night I think.

Chelsea will play a full strength team in the league cup. Combined with United playing a pretty much full strength team towards the end. Then with every club outside hte top 4 playing their best teams. Yeh I'd say it's tougher than the UEFA Cup. Although on the plus side, it doesn't take up as many games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea will play a full strength team in the league cup. Combined with United playing a pretty much full strength team towards the end. Then with every club outside hte top 4 playing their best teams. Yeh I'd say it's tougher than the CL. Although on the plus side, it doesn't take up as many games.

:eek:

Que calls from ferguson that his League Cup winning team is in fact superior to Barca's CL winning team by virtue of competition strength! ;)

Chelsea will play a full strength team in the league cup. Combined with United playing a pretty much full strength team towards the end. Then with every club outside hte top 4 playing their best teams. Yeh I'd say it's tougher than the CL. Although on the plus side, it doesn't take up as many games.

You are right - the Carling Cup is harder to win than the Champions League.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sarcasm? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I see you have your European League facts right man.

Currently both - Werder and HSV - are wiping the floor with Bayern in the league. Also both of them played last years European League semifinal.

Hardly worth mentioning alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Villareal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Dont think itl be that easy for Liverpool to do well in it. They struggle to beat mid table premiership sides each week and theres alot of good teams in the Europa. If they pick up more injuries(Gerrard and Torres) there really fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The whole thread baffles me.

It's like as if Liverpool were a near certainty to win the Europa League if only they'd be bothered to take it seriously.

News for you guys. English teams have been dominant lately because thats where the bucks are, fair enough. But no matter what, they are NOT the be all and end all. Especially when they're struggling not to drift into mediocrity like Liverpool are right now.

Advertisement