Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Couch to 10K... Part 2!

• 25-11-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

So this time last year I set myself the challenge of running a 10k event..... It didn't exactly go to plan! But hey... that's life!

I fell short of my goal of running the 10k... and only managed 8k. However, I ran and I think that was kind of more important overall....... :rolleyes:

So, Along with the announcement of the Great Limerick Run, I have decided to start a fresh new log with a fresh new goal........ The Limerick Half Marathon!

I've joined the gym (again!)..... I started training again today for the first time since August and was only able to manage about 4 mins of jogging before I nearly died from the lack of air to my lungs!!! :eek: But, I'm not letting that hold me back. I managed it before so I'm going back for more punishment tomorrow. I start my training program then (going back to the Non Runners Marathon Trainer for guidance) so I'll be logging my progress here and hopefully clocking up a lot more miles over the next 6 months than I did over all this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Munster gal. Great to see ya back in action.

Can't wait for this ... it will be great!

Best of luck with your log and training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hey Munster gal. Great to see ya back in action.

Can't wait for this ... it will be great!

Best of luck with your log and training.

Thanks Kiddo! We might actually get around to that run that we planned about 6 months ago this time :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back! :)

Nothing too exhausting today.

Did my fitness test in the gym (did better than I thought) and had a program done up to deal with mainly toning and core. My cardio is going to be sorted with my training for the half marathon.

So for today I did 10mins fast walk on the treadmill at various inclines (as part of the fitness test):

2 mins at 2.5%
    2 mins at 5.0%
    2 mins at 7.5%
    2 mins at 10.0%
    2 mins at 12.5%

I then did some light weights, more trying to figure out what I would be doing as part of my program than anything! Also did a few core exercises followed by 10 mins on the cross trainer.

Spent just under 1 hour in total in the gym today - probably the most exercise I've done since August!

Going to give tomorrow a break and the plan is to be in the gym for 7am on Friday morning to start the hard core training (well....semi hard core maybe :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck with it all. Once you've a few weeks done you won't know yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck with it and by the title of your post from today welcome back from the future, the session you did tomorrow looks great. :pac:

Good luck with it and by the title of your post from today welcome back from the future, the session you did tomorrow looks great. :pac:

Oops :o
    Thanks for that RQ

Rest Day

Classing today as a rest day even though I haven't done much over the last few days.
    Just did some core work and that was about it for this evening.

The plan is to get into the gym tomorrow morning at 7am before work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Welcome back munster gal, best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Catchmeifucan

Hi the Great Limerick Run sounds fantastic...its just brilliant for Limerick...this is such a fantastic palce with great people...its about time we showed it off on more than just the rugby front...it has so much to offer.
    The weekend of the Great Limerick Run will bebuzzing...with the Riverfest and all else..I can't wait

• Advertisement

Well...a totally crap start to the training!
    However, I think my right arm is a bit stronger from lifting glasses of red wine to my mouth yum yum!

22 weeks to the Great Limerick Run so the training officially starts tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome back MunsterGal, delighted to see you back. Best of luck with the training.

30 mins on the treadmill - only covered about 2.5 miles. Longest jog was about 4 mins.
    1000m on the rower.
    10 mins on the cross trainer.
    10 mins on the bike.

came home and done my core exercises.

Pilates now tomorrow night for the first time! :rolleyes:

Attended my first ever Pilates class....... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My poor tummy didn't know what was going on! But I felt good afterwards. Gonna try and stick to this once a week now :) Roll on bikini season :pac:

I didn't do anything yesterday. My ole tummy muscles were a bit sore and tired from Pilates on Wednesday night. I didn't make it to the gym due to long hours at work today but did manage to do 5 mins of what I picked up in Pilates. My tummy is sore again :rolleyes: But in a good way.

Gym tomorrow morning to try and make me feel better about the drinking session i'll be having in Dublin on Sunday night!!

Working in Galway then Tuesday and Wednesday so no gym access so I might just try to fit in a little bit of pilates instead just so that I'm doing something.......

20 mins on the treadmill - about 7.5 mins of that jogging - finding it hard to build up again :rolleyes:

10 mins on the cross trainer

10 mins on the bike

did a 2 sets of 10 crunches on one of the weight machines followed by 5 mins of pilates exercises at home.

Away now from tomorrow until Wednesday night so I won't get any cardio done but I'll keep going with the core exercises anyway.

Right so... Not much done so far this year!
    I've given up parking in the work car park again and i'm walking about 1 mile into town and back again (not much but it's the most exercise I've had since before Xmas)
    I join the fit4life group next week to start my training for the Half Marathon in May.
    I'm watching my diet and kicked the booze again :D 3lbs gone since the 1st of Jan so going well so far :D:D

Ok so training hasn't started at all!
    Work has been so mental busy that i'm completely exhausted! Working between 10 and 12 hours a day and once the weekend comes I just don't have the energy!
    On the plus side though.. My weight at the start of the month was 10st and I'm down to 9st 6lbs just from watching my diet! I could probably drop another 6lbs if I can get back into my runners! :rolleyes:

So what should have been my first day back training ........

4 miles walked in total today followed by a job offer, bottle of miller and me trying to type up my notice and figure out what to say to my boss in the morning.

not a great start to the week but I feel like celebrating... I'll worry about the exercise tomorrow instead :D

Nothing outstanding done over the last week. Just walking.
    I've dropped 4lbs in the last week so I'm delighted with that!
    Finishing in my job tomorrow so I have the rest of the week to get a bit done before starting my new job on Monday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with the new job Munster_Gal

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new job Munster_Gal

Thanks Bally8! Don't think it's really hit me yet that today is my last day here! :eek: Although I'm really excited about starting with the new company on Monday! :D
    Now if I could just shake this headcold and get my left eye to stop watering for not apparent reason I'd be sorted!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement