Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS - kill it

Options
  • 25-11-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

How many jobs does Fas create per year?

We have approx 500,000 people on the dole in Ireland.
    We pay them €206 p/w or €9,600 p/a

Fas costs us €1billion per year.

If you killed FAS and redirected that money into Employment subsidies, you could have upwards of 100,000 people back in work (20% of the dole queue), with an employment subsidy of €9,600 p/a.
    You could double up on that and let them keep their social welfare, so they would be paid €19,200 p/a.

Take over the old Dell plant in Limerick, create a new semi-state company, bring in some outsider to run it like a private firm.
    5000 people back in work, exports, profits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yes, absolutely, close it down and start something afresh with no former Fas employees, its a joke and a thorn in our side that we dont need.

There are loads on the dole with degrees, masters who would love to get a job in something like this and they'll accept contributary pension, accountability, no overtime etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Take over the old Dell plant in Limerick, create a new semi-state company, bring in some outsider to run it like a private firm.
    5000 people back in work, exports, profits

For Limerick only?

You seem to forget that FAS has brought skills people who now can emigrate because of the trades they have learned.

Do not tar FAS with the infamy due to its incompetence due to the likes of McLoone (Head of IMPACT)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Do not tar FAS with the infamy due to its incompetence due to the likes of McLoone (Head of IMPACT)
    As an organisation its done a pretty great job of doing that itself dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

For Limerick only?

Dell was just an example.
    There were multiple companies that relied on Dell's business, who went bust.
    They would have a chance to start off again.
    (not to mention Shannon etc.)
    You seem to forget that FAS has brought skills people who now can emigrate because of the trades they have learned.
    That may be the case, but it won't offer a solution to our problems here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think we all know what F.A.S. really stands for, so no further elaboration should be needed. €1 billion Euros a year in the hands of Muppet's! That would make a nice start to the €4 billion Euro in cuts the Muppet's in government want to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Not a bad idea in principle, 1bn is a hell of a lot of money to be spending on job training, especially during the boom years when we were near full employment, staggering really

I suppose the question is if the government were prepared to spend 1bn as grants to new (or established) companies to keep them above water would they get a better return for their money than from FAS? If the money was spent correctly I think we all know the answer

Where would they focus on? renewable energy could be 1 area, agriculture still produces 10% of exports (although some will argue about subsidies already), create a mini silicon valley???

Knowing Ireland it would probably be wasted on back handers and brown envelopes though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

FAS,IDA, Enterprise Ireland, County enterprise boards, local development corps.

do we really need all these agencies (i'm sure there are loads more these are the ones that spring to mind)

if youve ever had to deal with any of them (well just dont get me started ) the whole system needs reorganising, the problem is the same people will get the same jobs.

i live in a small town of 5000 people and what struck me with the strike yesterday was how empty the car parks were, considering we have few obvious public sector jobs that dont have there own car parks (i guess people too days off to look after kids etc - but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Way back in the late 80's when I was out of work I did a Fás training course in computer maintenance, the trainer was a mainframe COBOL guy from the 70's without up to date skills. Fortunately there were a few quys on the course who knew stuff I didn't and we managed to train each other in what we knew.

A few years later myself and 2 others had set up an internet services company and saw the potential in this new fangled cross platform Java language that was comming along, Fás were supposed to be handing out training grants to companies to upskill and so we applied for a training grant to do the Sun Java programming course. We had an interview with the head of IT training in Fás on Baggot St. where we were informed that Java was a passing fad and not a real programming language and they couldn't fund the training.

Today, 15 years later, I still work with Java.

Oh and the fscking "Safe Pass" carry on, all those Fás trainers with nowt to do due to the boom decided to parasitise the building industry with this new qualification you had to have to be allowed on site, the thing was a joke and anyone who failed it would never have survived a week on a site anyway.

We do need to retrain a large cohort of people who have construction trades and no jobs, however Fás as currently constituted is not the vehicle to do it.

While I realise the "The plural of anecdote is not data" I have heard many other horror stories basically they need total re-organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

needs organisation, it needs to be compleatly dismantled and properly rebuilt, just like the PS

Advertisement