Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the muppets picketing at Distillery Road, Newcastle (NUIG) today....

Options
  • 25-11-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

You are going to get run-over. You are picketing on a public ROAD that is open to traffic.

1) As said already, you are picketing on a PUBLIC ROAD, crossing and stopping in-front of traffic, blocking it (Are you trying for a Darwin?)
    2) There are many private houses BEHIND your picket line, aswell as a boat club and a rowing club. There is a right-of-way on this road. Not everyone on this road is going into NUIG
    3) Are you looking for the public's support, or merely to p1ss off drivers?

Next time you're picketing and one of you idiots decides to walk out in-front of me in an attempt to stop me when you clearly can see me approaching, i'm not stopping.

Out of principle, I will do my best to avoid crossing a picket line, BUT, don't try to stop people who are going about their daily business, who are NOT going into the organisation which you are picketing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One of the nurses got hit by a taxi while picketing Inside the hospital today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Oh the irony.

At least she didn't have far to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Gawd, I listened to some of them on the Vincent Browne programme tonight and they were so self righteous and arrogant that they made me sick. Patricularly the teachers. Fcuk it, I have taken a 12% pay cut from a fairly low base and have to grin and bear it in the private sector and hopefully will keep the job. I accept their right to strike but their argument doesn't hold much water to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

dec25532 wrote: »
    Gawd, I listened to some of them on the Vincent Browne programme tonight and they were so self righteous and arrogant that they made me sick. Patricularly the teachers. Fcuk it, I have taken a 12% pay cut from a fairly low base and have to grin and bear it in the private sector and hopefully will keep the job. I accept their right to strike but their argument doesn't hold much water to be honest.
    i watched that program aswell and didnt vinny do well with the questions,concidering how agressive everyone was to him.i had a wee gigle whwn he was asked how much he earned per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The long letter in last week's Indo said it all, IMHO.

JohnCleary, I hear where you're coming from, but be careful. Back home a few years back, a truck driver hit a woman on a picket line. He was going very slowly, but she died anyway. Very messy. I worked with the truck driver's son years later, and there were still repercussions going on.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    The long letter in last week's Indo said it all, IMHO.

JohnCleary, I hear where you're coming from, but be careful. Back home a few years back, a truck driver hit a woman on a picket line. He was going very slowly, but she died anyway. Very messy. I worked with the truck driver's son years later, and there were still repercussions going on.

OK maybe I shouldn't exagurate (sp?) - I'd never drive into/over someone! (intentionally anyway :pac:)

But seriously - where do these idiots get off thinking they can picket on a public road, blocking traffic? If I was 40 years older i'd be on the phone to Keith Finnigan! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I don't understand how u let your political bias be swayed by being held up for two-three seconds for something that is a good cause

PomBear wrote: »
    I don't understand how u let your political bias be swayed by being held up for two-three seconds for something that is a good cause

It's not the 2/3 seconds that i'm held up. It's the arrogange of them, the fact that they think they have the right to stop traffic that has no relationship with the organisation they are picketing against, and finally, that they have the stupidity to purposly walk out in-front of traffic.... How can people of such idiocy be allowed to work in our country's education factilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Good cause me hole. Ungrateful basta*ds, they should be locked out - Christmas on bread and water would sort them out (or a week in the private sector).

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's not the 2/3 seconds that i'm held up. It's the arrogange of them, the fact that they think they have the right to stop traffic that has no relationship with the organisation they are picketing against, and finally, that they have the stupidity to purposly walk out in-front of traffic.... How can people of such idiocy be allowed to work in our country's education factilities?

I don't think they arrogant. They were using an extremely common form of protest. They walked in front of cars to let them know they were crossing a picket line.

They're getting pay cuts and redundancies like the rest of us

• Advertisement

We actually had lecturers tell us that they were doing it for our benefit and not their own as if it was some selfless act.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Good cause me hole. Ungrateful basta*ds, they should be locked out - Christmas on bread and water would sort them out (or a week in the private sector).

So they cannot protest against pay cutsand redundancies because you get paid less? I'm on less than €150 a week and think they have every right to protest

So they cannot protest against pay cutsand redundancies because you get paid less? I'm on less than €150 a week and think they have every right to protest

I'm sorry so you think that they have a right to protest something which at the minute is only being proposed. Why should teachers and public sector workers not do their part like the rest of the country. Every other sector is taking the hit so why should they be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Intimidator

I was at Distillery Road picketing. Try it man, you'll see where it gets you.

I'm sorry so you think that they have a right to protest something which at the minute is only being proposed. Why should teachers and public sector workers not do their part like the rest of the country. Every other sector is taking the hit so why should they be any different?

because like many others are being treated unfairly in terms of pay cuts and redundancies by a mediocre government and are gonna get screwed over in this budget. It's not a question of doing you're part where Fianna Fail are basically letting their super rich buddies keep tax evading

I hope it gets him a medal. There is no excuse for holding up traffic on a basic public road especially for people who unlike yourself are trying to get to work.
    because like many others are being treated unfairly in terms of pay cuts and redundancies by a mediocre government and are gonna get screwed over in this budget. It's not a question of doing you're part where Fianna Fail are basically letting their super rich buddies keep tax evading

Blame FF all you want and believe you me I do but at the same time I public sector workers have to take a hit just like everyone else. What most people are over looking is that at this stage it's only a proposed cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Exactly.

I have zero sympathy for the public sector workers. Those of us working in the private sector who are lucky enough to still have a job, have for the most part taken savage pay cut of up to and including 25%, job security is non-existent across all levels of the private sector.

To date the public sector has incurred a 10% pension levy, on a pension which I as a taxpayer contribute towards. Why should I have to take a cut in my wages, contribute towards my own pension and then contribute towards a pension fund for an over staffed, over payed, wholly inefficient public service who's employees have felt nowhere near the pain of the private sector.

The utterly corrupt unions continue to sabre rattle talking about equality and we should all shoulder the burden equally. I agree. We should all share the pain equally. To date this has not happened. The dog on the street knew 18 months ago that massive pay cuts were necessary given the untenable 20bn public sector wage bill however this has not happened due to an incompetent, impotent government unwilling to tackle the problem of the unions head on due to the tradition of FF's acquiescence to the demands of the Social Partners year in year out for the guts of fifteen years. The unions were quick to demand the ugly monster that has become benchmarking when times were good, why now can't public sector pay be benchmarked down the way? It was afterall introduced as a mechanism to create some sort of parity between public and private sector pay. Why now when average private sector pay has fallen well below public can't benchmarking work the other way?

This country has a long way to go before it even starts testing the bottom.

[/rant]

I hope it gets him a medal. There is no excuse for holding up traffic on a basic public road especially for people who unlike yourself are trying to get to work.

Blame FF all you want and believe you me I do but at the same time I public sector workers have to take a hit just like everyone else. What most people are over looking is that at this stage it's only a proposed cut.

Public Sector wokers have already been taking the hit just like the rest of us
    My mother is employed by HSE and has got 15% cuts and a bonus of €5000 thats she's not getting now.
    My father has had PhD for 20 years and it took him 2 years to get work as a lecturer and he had to move to England to get work recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

i have zero sympathy for public sector workers.ive had savage tax increases and have no job security..i cant plan my future.the whole public system is a joke.departments opening at 9 or 10,going for an hour or more break and then closing at 2 or 3!!schoolkids work harder than that for christ sake.its so inefficient from top to bottom.FAS is an absolute disgrace for example all the money they have wasted.i work in an industry with lean six sigma as the core basis.this is basically eliminating any waste from a business or manufacturing process.we could use this for cost reduction, improved cycle time and delivery right across the entire public sector.yes its not pretty but it means these guys will work for their wage.the easy ride is over guys.its time to muck in like the rest of us.i work 12 hour shifts and from start to finish its hammer and tongs.this is how wil get this country going again,hard work.yu guys make me sick and watch out for me at the picket lines in my car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I have some sympathy for the public sector workers in so far as it is not nice for any employee to take paycuts.

The private sector has been badly impacted through redundancies and savage salary drops (e.g. if I was to move job now I would be looking at a 25-30% pay cut). Pay cuts don't happen as much in the private sector as the media makes out, a lot of companies prefer the redundancy route.

Public sector workers need to realise that the Govt is an employer too who just cannot keep paying the salaries. By rights there should be redundancies but in lieu of that pay cuts have to happen.

Everyone has a right to protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

qwytre wrote: »
    Everyone has a right to protest.
    But not by walking in front of traffic on a public road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

Sponge Bob wrote: »

How did the taxi get into the building???? Does anyone have a video/pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Firstly i agree with the point being made by the OP as a picket should not block the access to areas/businesses other than those being targetted by their dispute. but on the point of proposed public sector cuts, the problem is that there needs to be a serious overhaul of how the public sector is run and not a blanket paycut across the sector which in fairness will hurt those on the lower rungs of the system alot more than those further up. the government took the same (stupid) stance during the boom years when the same percentage pay rises went to those on ridiculous salaries as those earning a few hundred euros a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

How did the taxi get into the building???? Does anyone have a video/pics?

I think it should say hospital grounds, not hospital. There's a large carpark and road up to the door of the hospital's main entrance to take into account, he didn't launch the cab John McClain-esque into the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

majiktripp wrote: »
    I think it should say hospital grounds, not hospital. There's a large carpark and road up to the door of the hospital's main entrance to take into account, he didn't launch the cab John McClain-esque into the building.

Are you sure? The original statement seems pretty clear to me. I'm surprised that there is not more about an incident of this nature in today's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

A bulldozer might make things easier for this lad OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Careful now...

lolintvm4.jpg

/moderation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

majiktripp wrote: »
    I think it should say hospital grounds, not hospital.

Yes or level with the footpath on the newcastle road maybe , not out on a PUBLIC ROAD was the real point if you look at the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yeah John you'll regret it, It'll take days to get all the splatter off the car.
    Only the power hose at the filling station is a winner here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why aren't the unions calling for a sliding scale of paycuts?

ie. an administrator on 200,000 takes a 25% paycut, a cleaner on 20,000 takes a 2% cut?

As for frontline staff, I have every sympathy for them. I wouldn't do their job, couldn't put up with the stuff they face day in, day out.
    Compare board meetings with cutting kids out of wreckage.

This thread is in danger of being locked.

John, did you wind down your window and tell em where you were trying to go?
    Or did you communicate via morse-horn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement