Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the muppets picketing at Distillery Road, Newcastle (NUIG) today....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sf13

Guys dont get me started. Watched prime time last night & they gave 3 specific cases from the public sector that just vex'd me. They were on alright money. The teacher was on €50k, I mean come on 9-2, 5 day week, get over it. He was complaining that after he pays his big mortgage that theres damn all left for heating, esb, etc. Bu hu if you don't have any money for holidays or whatever, not many do now.
    €50k is a pretty good salary if you ask me (NOT TO MENTION SUMMERS OFF):pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Tbh I think the teachers are far too easy a target in all of this. I think you can equate them with the frontline workers in the pulic sector; they have a tough job despite the holidays and they don't deserve the stick that they get; kids are a nightmare nowadays.

(I'm a private sector worker btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I was at Distillery Road picketing. Try it man, you'll see where it gets you.

wow, and internet iron-man.

I hope that this individual isn't representative of the typical person in the public service.

If s/he is, then it's little wonder that we're in such state.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh I think the teachers are far too easy a target in all of this. I think you can equate them with the frontline workers in the pulic sector; they have a tough job despite the holidays and they don't deserve the stick that they get; kids are a nightmare nowadays.

(I'm a private sector worker btw)

I know I couldn't teach in a secondary school, would strangle the little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Webbs wrote: »

I am usually in work before 8.30 and leave somewhere around 6ish quite often leaving after 7 (and no I dont get any overtime). Which departments open the hours you describe?

Council IT Dept...33 hour week
    Core hours are 10.30- 12.30pm and 2.30-4.30pm.
    People are required to do the core hours every day (basic start is 9am-5pm) but can do extra hours on days so some days they only have a 4 hour day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Magnus wrote: »
    I know I couldn't teach in a secondary school, would strangle the little bastards.

Exactly. It's more of a vocation than a job tbh. I know that I couldn't do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Berkut wrote: »
    Council IT Dept...33 hour week
    Core hours are 10.30- 12.30pm and 2.30-4.30pm.
    People are required to do the core hours every day (basic start is 9am-5pm) but can do extra hours on days so some days they only have a 4 hour day.

I have worked in the private sector and had pretty much the same thing granted hours were a bit longer (37.5 per week and core hours of 10 - 4) but thats pretty normal working practice in lots of places, I used to be able to take most of Friday off as had built up hours over the week, isnt that just called flexi-time?
    I was taking issue with JackDaniels saying hours of 9 or 10,going for an hour or more break and then closing at 2 or 3 - thats only about 20-25 hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm going to close this thread as it's going off-topic (distillery road being blocked, right-of-way etc.).

The general strike topic is being discussed on the relevant fora.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement