Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress and Bra Emergency

• 25-11-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies,

I got a new dress for an important event next week, it's really nice. The dress is back less and is not a halter neck type either if you know the type I mean.

Anyway given that it's strapless and backless etc I went into La Senza to get one of their strapless/backless bras. They let me try it on there with the plastic covers on so I could only guess if it would do the trick or not. Unfortunately, it's a big load of crap!!

Possibly the worst waste of €38 ever. The adhesive just isn't strong enough to stay in place and because I'm taking a D size in La Senza's backless bras I can't get away with it, it's frumpy looking and too noticeable. Seam free my eye!!

Anyway with only a few days to go until the big night I'm freaking out. The bra just isn't going to work unless I literally tape it on or something. And because of my bust size I can't really get away without a bra underneath. :(

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No idea where you'd find one of these right now or if they'd be suitable for a D cup but maybe something like this : http://www.strappybras.com/Diamante_Underwear/Splendour_Diamante_Strapless_Bra

Not backless but the back is attractive and would be nice with black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Awh they're so pretty, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'd never be able to get one before the weekend.

Here's a pic of a dress I seen online with a similar back. My dress looks nothing like this one but the back is almost as open as this one. So it is very difficult.

image1xl.jpg

The strapless one I bought would be perfect if it would just stay in place. But it's so unstable and it moves out of place if I even walk, it's just not sticky enough. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ultimo do a lowback strapless bra that might work with a dress like that as it's not too low. They definitely do D cup. As quite a few shops stock Ultimo maybe you could ring around and find out if any place has one. There's a pic of it on the site here :
    http://www.ultimo.co.uk/shop/low-back-strapless-d-g-820?clid=985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If there's a Heatons or a Debenhams near you, pop in and see what you think of those... kinda stick on cup things! I've no idea what you call them but they are pretty much like a bra cup and you just stick it onto your boob! My friend got them for her Debs and everything stayed up and in place and no peanut smuggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I used to see these extender straps you could buy that would clip onto the clips of your bra. Kind of like a bra strap onto the bra strap, which you brought around and fastened over your stomach. They allowed your bra to go down very low on your back but still gave support.

You might see them in la senza or debenhams.

Sorry that is all very vague!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    If there's a Heatons or a Debenhams near you, pop in and see what you think of those... kinda stick on cup things! I've no idea what you call them but they are pretty much like a bra cup and you just stick it onto your boob! My friend got them for her Debs and everything stayed up and in place and no peanut smuggling!

That's the sticky kind of one I got. I got mine for my debs in Debenhams (in a different colour years ago) but it's the same idea as the one I just bought.

Unfortunately, I've gone up two sizes since then and it just doesn't seem to work for me now. I should have known! :(

This may sound very, very weird but I remember reading about some sticky tape you could get for this kind of thing but I've no idea what it's called or even where I could get some..OR even if it'd work?!

It's just not sticky enough to hold my bust in the dress. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Tit tape. La senza do it but try in any good underwear department

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you use double-sided sticky tape in conjunction to the bra cups, it should keep them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Would something like these work? r543726-p657663-back.jpgr488316-p641256-front.jpg

links -
    http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product=Ultimo-D-G-Miracle-Collection-low-back-strapless-bra&product_id=UD-1170&size=&colour=Black
    http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product=Ultimo-Miracle-Collection-U-shaped-body&product_id=UO-1850&size=&colour=Black

I hate strapless bras, so always go with a basque as I know it wont slide down or fall off me. You might be able to find more examples of backless basques elsewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I saw a photo a while ago (sorry can't find it again) of a woman wearing a backless. She was in a similar position to yourself, unable to get a suitable bra. Her solution was to bind herself in a few turns of bondage tape.
    Now wait, hang on a sec, bear with me here... I'm not suggesting thats your solution. I'm suggesting that the old addage might hold true - If you can't hide it then flaunt it. Perhaps finding a stunningly pretty bra and displaying it with flair MIGHT be a way out of your predicament.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

chilly wrote: »
    Ultimo do a lowback strapless bra that might work with a dress like that as it's not too low. They definitely do D cup. As quite a few shops stock Ultimo maybe you could ring around and find out if any place has one. There's a pic of it on the site here :
    http://www.ultimo.co.uk/shop/low-back-strapless-d-g-820?clid=985

I have this bra, it's fantastic. I'm a C cup and it works just fine for me...so I don't see how a D cup would be a problem. Although, OP, if your cup size has gone up then surely your rib measurement has too and you need to buy a bigger size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

debenhams do a JML bra but believe it or not it does work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

OldGoat wrote: »
    I saw a photo a while ago (sorry can't find it again) of a woman wearing a backless. She was in a similar position to yourself, unable to get a suitable bra. Her solution was to bind herself in a few turns of bondage tape.
    Now wait, hang on a sec, bear with me here... I'm not suggesting thats your solution. I'm suggesting that the old addage might hold true - If you can't hide it then flaunt it. Perhaps finding a stunningly pretty bra and displaying it with flair MIGHT be a way out of your predicament.

I noticed once or twice in Sex and the City that Carrie wore very obvious bras under backless dresses. It was always unnecessary in her case because she could have easily gone braless, but it's a solution that has potential!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Although, OP, if your cup size has gone up then surely your rib measurement has too and you need to buy a bigger size?

I was measured (ribs and cup) in La Senza before buying their backless bra so I think I got the right size for their store. Ordinarily though, I'd buy a C in M&S, Ann Summers etc. La Senza's just a bit weird IMO.

I think I'll give that sticky tape a go!!

If that fails there's always masking tape :p jk!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

i had to get a strapless bra for a dress I was wearing whilst being bridesmaid. I ended up supergluing the sides to my skin to get it to stay in place because the adhesive strips were useless. Not highly recommended but there is a last resort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I'm a 34 G/H so often have the same problem as you. And those stick on cup things don't work for me so have never been able to use them :(

My top 3 tips for this style dress are...

Those cup things with a really good double sided tape behind them and be sure to bring some spare. You can get 'tit-tape' anywhere but in my experience it's not 'industrial' enough for bigger boobs. Go to Easons or a hardware/B&Q type shop for double sided tape.

Or..and bear with me here...get parcel tape. Tape your boobs up into positon with it. I know it sounds a bit medieval but if you take your time and do it right it really works. The tape should only cover your boob and surrounding area's not your back if you know what I mean?

Or my favourite, go to M&S or the lingerie department of Arnotts or Debenhams and buy a low back bra extender. This hooks onto your normal bra and does up around the waist and in doing so pulls the hook and eye bit down to just above your bum. I have three of these and they are invaluable. I think they cost about a tenner but all of the shops I mentioned sell them.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Back-Extender/dp/B002I68CU4?ie=UTF8&qid=1259239796&categoryNodeID=&ref=sr_1_1&page=&node=42966030&sr=1-1&mnSBrand=core&rh=

Can you see this has been a lifelong battle for me and my boobs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I got a smilar dress a backless scoop neck lacey navy dress.
    The shop asistant say get a good bra wit halter neck then cut off the back straps and sew the cup to the dress.
    Did i try that - nah. but worth a go.
    Or get one of those bras that clasp at the front shoulder staps are halter neck but the part strap part is a jelwellry type strap.
    Or a matching colour halter neck bikini top or those low back swimsuit with support cups like they did in pennys pity no navy. cheaper.

I'm a 34 G/H so often have the same problem as you. And those stick on cup things don't work for me so have never been able to use them :(

My top 3 tips for this style dress are...

Those cup things with a really good double sided tape behind them and be sure to bring some spare. You can get 'tit-tape' anywhere but in my experience it's not 'industrial' enough for bigger boobs. Go to Easons or a hardware/B&Q type shop for double sided tape.

Or..and bear with me here...get parcel tape. Tape your boobs up into positon with it. I know it sounds a bit medieval but if you take your time and do it right it really works. The tape should only cover your boob and surrounding area's not your back if you know what I mean?

Or my favourite, go to M&S or the lingerie department of Arnotts or Debenhams and buy a low back bra extender. This hooks onto your normal bra and does up around the waist and in doing so pulls the hook and eye bit down to just above your bum. I have three of these and they are invaluable. I think they cost about a tenner but all of the shops I mentioned sell them.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Back-Extender/dp/B002I68CU4?ie=UTF8&qid=1259239796&categoryNodeID=&ref=sr_1_1&page=&node=42966030&sr=1-1&mnSBrand=core&rh=

Can you see this has been a lifelong battle for me and my boobs :D

Yay I'm delighted to see that someone else found them useless too. It can be hard to explain sometimes. I went into town today to buy some tape but guess what I forgot to buy?.. :rolleyes:

I'm working until Sunday and I need to wear the Dress Monday so I'm hoping I get some tape Sunday evening and that it will work. I'll try the double sided stuff in Easons rather than the 'tit tape'. Fingers crossed it'll all come together at the last minute!! :o

Advertisement