Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

More iconic - at 11:30 on the morning of May 29, 1953, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reached the summit of Everest - 29,028 feet above sea level, the highest spot on earth.

r211851_814563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Egypts president Anwar Sadat addressing the Israeli Knesset in 1977, the first Arab leader to officially visit the country.
    sadat-707108.jpg

Sadat, Carter and Begin in 1979 after signing the Camp David peace agreement between Israel and Egypt.
    carter_sadat_begin_1978.jpeg

Sadat's assassination in 1981
    1123129753844_Assassination_of_Sadat_Picture.jpg

Pol Pot after dying of natural causes a free man (albeit on the run), a fate that wasn't affored to his countless victims.

polpot-2.jpg

Rasputin alive
    755px-Rasputin_Photo.jpg

Rasputin not so alive (although it took a while and a fair bit of effort to get him from one state to the other).
    rasputin.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK Football stuff removed as it does not shake the world. Folks do me a favour and drop me a PM or something if you see something which does not belong here. The infighting is getting very tiresome to delete. The list of deleted posts grows ever longer :D.
    Please continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/the_decade_in_news_photographs.html

50 amazing photos here from the last decade

003_21300419.jpg
    Air France Concorde flight 4590 takes off with fire trailing from its engine on the left wing from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, in this July 25, 2000 file photo. The plane crashed shortly after take-off, killing all the 109 people aboard and four others on the ground. (AP Photo/Toshihiko Sato, File) JAPAN OUT

Some of course posted earlier in thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

^^ Great link there !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

HammondDragBBC_468x311.jpg
    TV presenter Richard Hammond broke the British land-speed record shortly before his near fatal 288 mph crash.
    As it was revealed that a single nail was responsible for the horrific accident, a BBC report has claimed that, on the penultimate run before the smash, Hammond touched speeds of 314mph.
    This is well in excess of the previous high of 300.3mph - set by Colin Farrows at the same airfield in Elvington, North Yorkshire, with the same jet powered drag racing car in July 2000.
    Hammond, who made a miraculous recovery and has returned to presenting, cheated death when his car span off the track and flip over several times.

1490176.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

A former FIANNA FAIL Minister for Justice going to JAIL.

A picture that represents the nadir of politics in this country.

Ray_Burke008029_display.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

French riots 2005

french_riots.jpg

ap_france_riots3_071127_ssh.jpg

SNN2620D2G_682_394818a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

It has taken me a while to get through but this is a remarkable thread.
    If I missed any of these ones my apologies.

This was a pretty shocking image from a shameful story. (Sorry there isn't a bigger pic)
    jerry-mc-cabe.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_McCabe

Also, this sequence from t'internet was the first image many of us saw of meth abuse:
    10yearsmethuse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

42-17750971.jpg?size=67&uid=389C7B1E-9AF5-4121-AB30-7DBE7D646A80

bsasmadresdemayo.jpg

The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo.

Every Thursday for over 30 years The Mothers of the disappeared have protested in the Plaza de Mayo, Buenos Aires. The "disappeared" refers to the 30,000 men and women abucted and murdered by agents of the Argentine government during the "Dirty War", 1976-1983.

This week, following an overturning of an amnesty, 19 former soldiers appeared in court charged with carrying out the killings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8409311.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Here are a few from Stalingrad
    Some Helmets

38.JPG

Some of the men

41.JPG

The Saddles

50.JPG

The horses hooves

19.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've just spent my sunday reading this thread, excellent, top marks to all who contributed.
    Oh, I have to ask,why where the hooves cut off the horses in the last pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

95430.png
    Puerto Cabello naval base, Venezuela, 4 June 1962. A soldier who has been mortally wounded by a sniper clings onto navy chaplain Luis Padillo. About the image Braving the streets amid sniper fire, to offer last rites to the dying, the priest encountered a wounded soldier, who pulled himself up by clinging to the priest’s cassock, as bullets chewed up the concrete around them. Rondón Lovera, who had to lie flat to avoid getting shot, later said that he was unsure how he managed to take this picture.
    1588a.png

Saddam Hussein Excutation

aa7c1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Morlar wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I thought that picture was from a protest against an Orange order parade through dublin ???

The caption was photoshopped from 'No to Sectarian Parades' to say that instead ?

no wasn't photoshopped, I cut the pic out of the herald I believe, it's stuck on my wall to this day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

dubtom wrote: »

There was massive food shortages in Stalingrad, so I would imagine the rest of the horses ended up in the cooking pot.

I watched a documentary on Stalingrad last night estimating that at least 1,000,000 russian soldiers died defending the city.
    It was illegal under communism to even try to gauge how many died at Stalingrad.

dubtom wrote: »

Yes in Stalingrad the Germans and locals had to eat horses - the hooves were the leftovers. I have seen documentaries about the russian front showing German soldiers discusing how, especially when on the move, they would keep an eye out for cats and dogs to supplement their diet. From Stalingrad there was also reports of cannibalism and also children going missing presumed to have been killed to be eaten. I have also seen photos taken there 2 years later where they were using camel drawn carts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Excellent thread! Some fantastic photos there guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Jeege wrote: »
    Visit this site to see the real victims of war.
    http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html

Warning: Images are very graphic, not for the faint hearted
    Bloody hell he wasnt kidding....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Bloody hell he wasnt kidding....

Kind of wish i hadn't wondered what you were talking about....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

article-1055660-02a87a8d00000578-263_468x7052.jpg
    The only house that remained in the area after Hurricane Katrina.

343.jpg
    Sorry if this was posted already.

TranThieHetNhanny_wideweb__430x306.jpg
    A pic from the Vietnam war

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Just thought this may be of interest to you lot;

It is an american newspaper so keep in mind that some of the pictures will be more relevant to the states, but there are some amazing pictures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The only house that remained in the area after Hurricane Katrina.

Thats amazing or complete BS, not sure which.
    We wrote: »
    Just thought this may be of interest to you lot;

It is an american newspaper so keep in mind that some of the pictures will be more relevant to the states, but there are some amazing pictures :)

Thanks We, those photos are amazing, thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

The Lynching of Young Blacks -

Iraq POW with Child -

Nothing can sum up this decade better than this photo.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Nothing can sum up this decade better than this photo.

20010911ny456.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Obi_Wan

358365-aptopix-norway-strange-light.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

pong.png

Well, it did

f63d0d774ec5ac193d43806d79d1.jpeg

• Advertisement

Chilling video to watch neda_agha-soltan_died_in_tehran_iran.jpg

Advertisement