Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Obi_Wan

airfrance_1419731c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

This photo is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on the internet, but I'll put it up anyway because it shows the kind of thing that really goes on in war (Don't click unless you're sure you have a strong stomach):

Japanese soldiers at the Nanking massacre, December 1937 - January 1938

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Obi_Wan wrote: »
    358365-aptopix-norway-strange-light.jpg

What's this photo about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What's this photo about?
    It was a Russian rocket that went out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

This photo is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on the internet, but I'll put it up anyway because it shows the kind of thing that really goes on in war (Don't click unless you're sure you have a strong stomach):

Cheers for that site. Some very powerful pics

76129653.jpg
    It's possible the placement of the hand/arm was staged....still a powerful pic

88079706.jpg
    Description

Civilian victims of a bombing raid on a german major city.

64809143.jpg
    Description

Dead german soldier during the Battle of the Bulge, next to him the christmas greeting card of his family

16302459.jpg
    Description

Jesse entered the 1936 Olympics, which to many are known as the "Hitler Olympics." These games were held in Nazi Germany, and Hitler was going to prove to the world that the German "Aryan" people were the dominant race. Jesse had different plans, however, and by the end of the games even German fans cheered for him. Jesse was triumphant in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the broad jump. He was also a key member of the 400-meter relay team that won the Gold Medal. In all but one of these events Jesse set Olympic records. Jesse was the first American in the history of Olympic Track and Field to win four gold medals in a single Olympics.

jesusstatuerubble.jpg
    Description

Still standing in the rubble of a church in the war-blasted town of Dulag, a statue of the sacred heart appears to gaze in quiet sorrow on the destruction wrought by battle's fury seething over Leyte Island, Philippines, 1944. (Coast Guard) Exact Date Shot Unknown NARA FILE #: 026-G-3577 WAR & CONFLICT BOOK #: 1331

weddingringsjewsholocau.jpg
    Description

A few of the thousands of wedding rings the Germans removed from their victims to salvage the gold. U.S. troops found rings, watches, precious stones, eyeglasses, and gold fillings, near Buchenwald concentration camp. Germany, May 5, 1945. T4c. Roberts. (Army) NARA FILE #: 111-SC-206406 WAR & CONFLICT BOOK #: 1130

18776771.jpg
    Description

The severed head of a napalmed Japanese soldier is propped up below the gun turret of a disabled Japanese tank in the Solomon Islands in 1943.

90534533.jpg
    Ghosts
    Description

German POWs

87303877.jpg
    Description

Ghastly view of the charred body of a Erla Work Camp #3 prisoner twisted in the grotesque position of his last agonizing moments, after being burned alive by the Nazis.

Happy Christmas everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That pic reminds me of a book "Ghost Soldiers" In it the author explains that he was forced to march from the Bataan peninsula to a labour camp in extreme heat. A pregnant Filipino woman came out an offered a tray of glasses of water to the American POWs, a Japanese soldier knocked her down and used his bayonet to cut the unborn bacby out of her and then stabbed the baby, horrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Fvck me. I didn't think I could be shocked anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The_Edge wrote: »
    Cheers for that site. Some very powerful pics

76129653.jpg
    It's possible the placement of the hand/arm was staged....still a powerful pic

I am going to disagree with you there. If a photograph is faked then it is fake, not 'powerful' or moving but fake, false, bogus etc. Could I ask what site you found that on ?

The Cottingley 'Fairy photographs' - fooled a lot of gullible people. Conan Doyle is also said to have fallen for it

cottingley%20fairies.jpg

cottingley.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

i seen something about this before, apparently they were just cardboard cutouts:D Hard to believe people could fall for something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Morlar wrote: »
    I am going to disagree with you there. If a photograph is faked then it is fake, not 'powerful' or moving but fake, false, bogus etc. Could I ask what site you found that on ?

http://www.ww2incolor.com/dramatic/20090208.html

The_Edge wrote: »

That picture belongs on this site imo ;

http://zombietime.com/reuters_photo_fraud/
    or maybe this one
    http://blogs.photopreneur.com/worlds-most-infamous-staged-photos

Here are a couple more;
    Original
    20060806BeirutP.jpg
    Blinged up one
    20060805BeirutP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Obi_Wan

What's this photo about?
    there was a huge thing about it only a few weeks ago , people thought it was a UFO , turned out it was a missile that lost control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I despise mankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Hope this hasnt been posted yet, sorry if it has :o

March_on_Washington_edit.jpg

1963 Civil Rights March on Washington. Incredibly powerful stuff given the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Charles Manson
    charles_manson.jpg

The murdered body of the visibly heavily pregnant Sharon Tate and another victim of Manson's "family"
    Sharon-Tate-murder-scene.jpg

The Manson Family murders are widely claimed to have caused the demise of the peace,love and harmony of the hippy movement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

katex.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

nedtheshed wrote: »
    The Manson Family murders are widely claimed to have caused the demise of the peace,love and harmony of the hippy movement.

That and the killing of Meredith Hunter by a member of the Hells Angels who, where acting as security at the free The Rolling Stones Concert in Altamont, San Francisco 1969.

hells-angels-knife.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

xzanti wrote: »
    katex.jpg

Who's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Blisterman wrote: »
    Who's this?

The wonderfully sexy Kate Moss. Up to no good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

great thread

had a good look through and i dont think this was posted

muss3.jpg

Mussolini hung in the street caught me by surprise years ago.
    more here http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ILDUCE/Mussolini.htm

image004.jpg

Dont know why but of all the holocaust photos out there there was the room of shoes that i always remembered. shoes for men,women, small for children, boots, and clogs, all piled up to reach the ceiling.

passchendaele-2.jpg
    from the battle of passchendaele

hurricane-katrina-victims.jpg
    one of the many signs on the rooves of houses and streets from katrina.

3118129.jpg
    more recently its monroe havin a toke.

also the boston globe do a good compilation.

heres the link to part 3 which has a bunch from the year that werent mentioned.
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_3_of_3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

preview_600_463.jpg

One of them has been confirmed as being from Galway and they're investigating the possiblity of a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The genocide itself hasn't been covered itself on this thread - bar one photo of a person after been attacked by a machete.
      Rwandan genocide (1994) - The Rwandan genocide occurred over the course of one hundred days in 1994, when more than 800,000 members of the minority Tutsi tribe were murdered by members of the majority Hutu tribe. The roots of this conflict go back to the fifteenth century, when much of what is modern-day Rwanda was ruled by the Tutsi tribe. Since the Tutsis were herdsmen and the Hutus were farmers, the tribal distinctions may have originally been used to designate different occupations; indeed, one could become a Tutsi by accumulating enough wealth to become part of the ruling hierarchy. Rwanda was colonized, first by the Germans and later by the Belgians, after the former's loss in World War I. The Belgians considered the Tutsis, whose physicial appearance was more European than the shortier, stockier Hutus, to be superior. The two tribes were classified as being different races and the Tutsis were treated better than the Hutus; they received higher quality educations and jobs from colonial administrators. This caused resentment from the Hutus, which sometimes led to violence.
      After Belgian rule ended in 1962, the Hutu majority took control of Rwanda. The Tutsis became scapegoats for the country's various economic and political problems. Some Tutsis fled to neighboring countries such as Burundi, Tanzania, and Uganda. Some of these exiles, along with some Hutu allies, formed the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) to overthrow the Rwandan government. By the 1990s, the RPF was engaged in guerilla warfare against the Rwandan government. Although a tentative peace treaty was signed between the rebels and the president, Juvenal Habyarimana, the environment was ripe for violence. When a plane carrying Habyarimana, the president of Burundi, and a number of high-ranking Rwandan officials was shot down by an unknown party, members of the Hutu majority embarked on a campaign of retribution that would lead to genocide. The presidential guard immediately began slaughtering members of the Tutsi political opposition. Impromptu anti-Tutsi militias formed within hours of the crash, encouraged by exhortations from government-sponsored radio broadcasts. Ordinary Hutus were encouraged to kill their Tutsi neighbors by promises of land, food, and money. In many instances, military officials forced civilians to take part in the killings. The genocide finally ended when the RPF overthrew the interim government that had encouraged the slaughter. It is estimated that over two million Rwandas were active participants in the genocide and more than 800,000 were murdered.
      The international community was largely apathetic to the Rwandan genocide; the United Nations pulled out its troops after ten peacekeepers were killed. The United States was wary of interfering in the affairs of another African country after a recent disasterous military operation in Somalia. The role of the French had also been criticed, as French soldiers in Rwanda reportedly trained anti-Tutsi militias and provided arms to the genocidal government.

Rwanda_genocide_wanted_poster_2-20-03.jpg

http://thewe.cc/weplanet/africa/rwanda/living_among_the_dead.htm - This is an absolutely incredible website, with so much information on the atrocity - from all angles and using reputable sources.
    Rwanda: Legacy of genocide By Photojournalist Jonathan Torgovnik
    (Filed: 06/10/2007) During the genocide that began in 1994, Rwandan women were subjected to widespread and unrelenting sexual violence perpetrated by members of the Hutu militia groups known as the Interahamwe. Among the survivors, those who are most isolated are the women who have borne children as a result of being raped. Their families have rejected both them and their offspring.

joseline_ingabire.jpeJoseline Ingabire with her daughter
    Leah Batamuliza 12, in Gishari, Rwanda

An estimated 20,000 children were conceived during the genocide in Rwanda, and many of their mothers contracted HIV during the same brutal encounters that left them pregnant. These women feel they have lost their dignity, are alone and utterly powerless. Many of them were raped only after being forced to witness the murder of their families. ‘You alone are being allowed to live,’ some were told, ‘so that you will die of sadness.’ They have lived through unimaginable suffering, yet the future of Rwanda is largely in their hands as the population is now 70 per cent female. The photojournalist Jonathan Torgovnik, who has spent two years tracking down, photographing and interviewing these women and their children, started the charity Foundation Rwanda in response to what he found. Joseline Ingabire aged 38, HIV+ with her daughter Leah Batamuliza 12, foreground in Gishari, Rwanda ‘When he came to rape me, I was pregnant. He told me I was not the first that he had raped. He was ruthless, he put a spear in my leg then raped me for four hours. I stayed in that place for six days, and they raped me every night until one of them who had been a friend of my husband pretended to be kind, and said he was going to take me to his house. He asked his wife to let me sleep on the bed because I was pregnant and had gone through difficult things and his wife allowed it, but whenever she was out he raped me. ‘I never loved Leah. I love my first daughter because I gave birth to her as a result of love. Her father was my husband. My love is divided — I love the other girl only now that I am beginning to appreciate that even she is my daughter. But before, even when she was a baby, I left her crying and put the other one on my back. When it came to feeding, I fed the older one more than the younger one, until I was here and people in the neighbourhood told me that it was not the proper thing to do, and indeed I could see that. Slowly I am beginning to appreciate that this other one is innocent. But even when I get clothes for them, I give priority to the older one.’ ‘I had two sisters and three brothers — they all died, I am the only survivor in my family. My mother and father and five grown children died.’

child_rwanda_1994.jpe

rwanda_genocide_memorial_1_1_.jpg

This picture is taken of a memorial from the Rwandan Massacre.

rwanda-dead.JPG

09gate600.jpg

A scene from Michael Caton-Jones’s “Beyond the Gates,” a film about the 1994 Rwandan genocide that centers on a schoolhouse where 2,500 desperate Tutsis tried to seek refuge from rampaging Hutu militias.

http://www.thebreman.org/exhibitions/online/1000kids/genocide.html

The above website is also excellent. I could have quoted any of 50 or so different parts from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

May have been posted before but with 51 pages I don't know.

Flower Power
    flowerpower.jpg

Nagasaki
    NG30.jpg

Platoon scene + Original photo.
    Platoon_greenspon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Queen-Mise wrote: »

A scene from Michael Caton-Jones’s “Beyond the Gates,” a film about the 1994 Rwandan genocide that centers on a schoolhouse where 2,500 desperate Tutsis tried to seek refuge from rampaging Hutu militias.

[/font][/color]
    I believe it was 'Shooting Dogs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I believe it was 'Shooting Dogs'.
    SHOOTING DOGS IN THE U.S.

SHOOTING DOGS is coming to theatres in the U.S. under the title BEYOND THE GATES. It is opening in New York City on March 9th and rolling out to more cities in the following weeks!

http://www.shootingdogsfilm.blogspot.com/

The film is known by both names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

One of the most chilling things I have ever seen is the giant pile of human hair in Auschwitz. A photo doesn't do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ddg-67_cole-hole-close_usnavy01.jpg

Bombing on the USS Cole off the Yemen coast in October 2000 in a sign of what was to come less than one year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Iranian Protestors Saving Prisoners from Hanging

It's not a video, it's a series of pictures... with sound
    <<
    >>

More Info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

Advertisement