Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

--paul-- wrote: »
    Em, how exactly does this shake the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Em, how exactly does this shake the world?

Made me shake a bit. ugh!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Not political in the slightest, just remember these photograhs and events vividly that illustrated for me the hatred that existed and still does no doubt.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milltown_Cemetery_attack
    miltown.jpg
    MilltownCemetery.jpg
    milltown3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings
    soldier3.jpg
    SOLDIER.jpg
    soldier2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

derra wrote: »
    Not political in the slightest, just remember these photograhs and events vividly that illustrated for me the hatred that existed and still does no doubt.
    Shocking times indeed. But it wasn't just the loyalists and republicans who had the hatred that existed, here's some pics of brit ' peacekeeping ' on the nationalists of the six counties.

derry51.jpg

dsc07993.jpg

OliversArmyChapt011Pic18.jpg

Bloody_Sunday_memorial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭md23040

A BRILLANT FAKE OR A REVERRED AUTHENTIC RELIGIOUS OBJECT

leonardo-da-vinci-shroud-of-turin-negative-view.jpg

In the 1980's this image shook the world after being proven a fake through carbon dating technology determining its date of origin to around 1390.

However the original Shroud investigator, Ray Rogers in 2005 acknowledged the radio carbon dating performed in 1988 was flawed since the sample used for dating may have been taken from a section damaged by fire and repaired in the 16th century.

To add to the controversy Vatican researchers have recently uncovered evidence that the Shroud had been kept and venerated by the Templar’s since the 1204 to the late 14th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=USRTXRYG2#a=1

A lot of photos displayed here in this slideshow...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Amazing Tread! Not sure if this was posted.

This baby wooly mammoth a female estimated at six months old when she fell into a river and died, has been almost perfectly preserved for 40,000 years.

frozen-woolly-mammoth-baby-23068-1241115613-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Amazing Tread! Not sure if this was posted.

This baby wooly mammoth a female estimated at six months old when she fell into a river and died, has been almost perfectly preserved for 40,000 years.

frozen-woolly-mammoth-baby-23068-1241115613-8.jpg
    I had to read this at least 4 times :o

I thought the wooly mammoth had been somehow brought back to life after being preserved for so long, then fell into a river and died after 6 months :o

The Boys of the Old Brigade

Hogan%27s_Flying_Column.gif

This surely shook the world, Dustin representing Ireland at the Eurovision !!!!

Dustin_171629t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Jesus, just look at some of those pictures...
    Lord forgive us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

haiti-palace_1558165c.jpg

alg_haiti-earthquack-victims.jpg

haiti-7.jpg

haiti_1559159c.jpg

chaos_1559202i.jpg

As an aside, Dustin the Turkey, come on FFS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

0002ef9d10dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Morlar wrote: »
    0002ef9d10dr.jpg

I knew someone would beat me to it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

I want to thank everyone for this thread, I've spent the last couple of days going through the photos and looking up things that I didn't know about, it has also been a history lesson :) I've laughed, cried and been genuinely sickened and heartbroken at what, we as humans, can do to each other.

I don't think there was any need for those who criticised other's posts as being silly or irrelevant just because they were about football or Dustin the Turkey. It's a very subjective thing, just because it didn't have an effect on you doesn't mean it didn't have one on someone else, please be mature and open-minded enough to see that and don't add to the growing number of 'nah-sayers' and people who like to knock you down in Ireland...

Keep posting guys, by far one of the best things I've seen on boards or on the web for that matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

photo-journalism.jpg

This isn't a photo that shook the world. But it is shocking in it's own right. So much wrong with it - it beggars belief, a lovely place to go sightseeing :confused::confused:

photograph depicts a group of affluent-looking young Lebanese driving through a South Beirut neighbourhood devastated by Israeli bombings. The image was taken on 15 August 2006, the first day of the ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah when thousands of Lebanese started returning to their homes.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/16170/photo-journalism/

This news story did shock the world though. Incredible photo.

00016216-INN-001.JPG

A supporter of slain former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is overcome with grief after a suicide bomber set off his charge in an assassination attack that killed Bhutto and many of her supporters December 27, 2007 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. The opposition leader’s death sparked days of nationwide rioting, left the country in a state of shock and cast serious doubts on the possibility of democracy in Pakistan.

http://bop.nppa.org/2008/still_photography/winners/?cat=INN

All the obvious photos have been posted already on this thread - some of the more modern ones will become classics in time, I believe. This photo just shows how much that man lost - all his hopes and dreams in the murder of Benazir Bhutto..

r.jpg

2007_09_27t230805_319x450_us_myanmar_japan.jpg

Kenji Nagai, the photographer killed in Burma holds his camera willing to continue taking pictures… of his killer.

This was Kenji Nagai, a 50-year-old photojournalist killed working for the Tokyo-based APF News who, The Guardian said, had years of experience covering danger zones.

Kenji was fatally wounded in Yangon on Thursday, and pictures smuggled out of the country showed him clutching a camera as he lay dying

There is a really good piece on the below link about the suppression of journalists reporting news to the world below.

http://www.innovationsinnewspapers.com/index.php/category/photojournalism/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 najva

Israeli soldiers denouncing Gaza war crimes, describe “the use of ‘permissive’ rules of engagement that cost civilian lives during the recent military campaign in Gaza.

pic.php?f=gaza-dod_263290b.jpg

gaza-children-israel-war-crimes.jpg

Gaza_cluster-bomb-victims.jpg

gaza-massacre09-20.jpg

• Advertisement

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There is a really good piece on the below link about the suppression of journalists reporting news to the world below.

http://www.innovationsinnewspapers.com/index.php/category/photojournalism/

Here is another photo of the same killing, a different perspective

adreeslatif460.jpg

najva wrote: »

Horrific to look at najva - but thank you.

I really think that Israel is one of the most evil regimes around at the moment. All the worst because of the support of the West.

I often wondered are they not pulled up on their behaviour because the Holocaust. What happened to them was so horrific - the West probably still feel guilty about - hence they are let get away with what they want. It is something that is never brought up in debates.
    The failure of the British army in Iraq (?) in the 1920s has often been cited as reasons why the US will never succeed in Iraq... But the Holocaust is never brought up in debates.

Maybe I am completely wrong - there is no link whatsoever, but I have often wondered.

<snip- fake photos are fake> Iraq.1.jpgpoor Iraqi mothers1700ir.jpgiraq_children_tortured_66.JPGpoor iraqi child

The best kept secret of the Bush's war crimes is that thousands of children have been imprisoned, tortured, and otherwise denied rights under the Geneva Conventions and related international agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

What an amazing thread! I have just sat for the last 2 hours looking at every single picture in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

iran_execution-thumb-510x446.jpg

12_te.jpg

publichanging.jpg

Or how about getting sentenced to death by stoning under Sharia law..

stoning_468x1017.jpg

Woman%2520Stoning%2520Iran.jpg

And these people try tell us the west is barbaric!.

Woman%2520Stoning%2520Iran.jpg

And these people try tell us the west is barbaric!.

Pretty sure I have seen the video footage of that one. I will never forget arguing with a boards moderator (islamic forum) who maintained that stoning adulterous women to death was acceptable in his view. Animal behaviour.

I am not the better for having looked at the pictures on this page.

Good point on them calling us barbaric - it reminds me of Europe during the medieval ages. All they need now is to burn a few witches..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    All they need now is to burn a few witches..

CampQuadroANC_Exiles_learned_murder_rape_as_terrorism_tools%5B5%5D.jpg

This is a website showing communist crimes against humanity by soviet russia in east europe

Pretty much all of the photographs are disturbing

http://www.lietuvos.org/istorija/communism/

Pt 2 is 1945 - 1980 -Soviet & Chineese communist warcrimes

http://www.lietuvos.org/istorija/communism/communism_2.htm

(Very nsfw).

This is one of the more viewable ones (of Katyn)

21Katyn.jpg

NKVD prison in Vinnitsa

22Vinnitsa.jpg

• Advertisement

I think at the moment the warning on this thread - 'Contains graphic images, may cause distress', just isn't strong enough at the moment with the last couple pages on this thread.

By god humans are a barbaric species. Man's inhumanity to man beggars belief sometimes.

Advertisement