Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9qQRkQXXrRaKJ9u3mE8zbhVYX_q46GRol_BCsctawK0VN5eHq
    Mohamed Bouazizi, a 26-year-old graduate, doused himself in petrol and set himself alight on December 17 in Sidi Bouzid, central Tunisia, in a protest against unemployment that sparked days of rioting by jobless young people.
    Paris-based rights group, CRLDHT, said in a statement that Bouazizi died at a burns hospital in Ban Arous near Tunis.

He was forced to sell fruit and vegetables on the streets to make ends meet but police confiscated his produce because he did not have a proper permit, prompting his suicidal protest which sparked a wave of violent riots.

And Ben Ali took this moment as a photo opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

rebel10 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9qQRkQXXrRaKJ9u3mE8zbhVYX_q46GRol_BCsctawK0VN5eHq
    Mohamed Bouazizi, a 26-year-old graduate, doused himself in petrol and set himself alight on December 17 in Sidi Bouzid, central Tunisia, in a protest against unemployment that sparked days of rioting by jobless young people.

MORE photos of the Tunisian riots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Mousey- wrote: »
    t32_26695081.jpg
    This one says it all really doesn't it??!!

Amazing photos, cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Horrific to look at najva - but thank you.

I really think that Israel is one of the most evil regimes around at the moment. All the worst because of the support of the West.

I often wondered are they not pulled up on their behaviour because the Holocaust. What happened to them was so horrific - the West probably still feel guilty about - hence they are let get away with what they want. It is something that is never brought up in debates.
    The failure of the British army in Iraq (?) in the 1920s has often been cited as reasons why the US will never succeed in Iraq... But the Holocaust is never brought up in debates.

Maybe I am completely wrong - there is no link whatsoever, but I have often wondered.

I didnt read the next few pages to see if anyone responded to you, but hang on for a second. "The West" didnt do anything to support the holocaust! Nazi germany did! Everybody else in what you call "the west" was fighting against the holocaust!

Look on page 58 people to see what isreal did to the Palestinian people. I am from Ireland, what some people would call "the west", and I dont support isreal or its actions. The opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

America supports Israel. England follows America.

America + England are the guts of 'The West'.

I spend a lot of time in Israel with work, and the feeling I get is that the way they act is inextricably linked to the Holocaust, regardless of whether any of their distant relatives were even invovled. Everything they do is 'justified' in their eyes by their persecution in the Holocaust.

Obviously not a generalisation of all Israeli's, but you have to remember that they all have to do their three year's army service (usually 18-21), where they become very regimented and for want of a better word 'narrow minded'. Nobody I talked to saw any problem with intercepting an aid flotilla in international waters, as they saw it as 'protecting their sovereignty). And the wall they have built around the Gaza strip to stop Palestinians getting into Israel. All part of everyday life over there.

The Irish cannot be considered to be part of 'the West' with regards to Israel, you only have to see how much we are questioned before entering the country to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

roryc wrote: »
    And the wall they have built around the Gaza strip to stop Palestinians getting into Israel. All part of everyday life over there.

There is no wall around Gaza. And the wall which was erected around, and unfortunetely through parts of the West Bank was built to keep terrorists out of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I really wish this thread was updated more... its the best thread on here.

It is hard to find 'Photos that Shook the World' - many of the photos/news have been posted already. And then the photos have to be truly international. I have spent hours trawling through the internet looking for photos for this thread. And then to find the perfect photo(s) to represent an event.

It is one of the best threads on boards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

There is no wall around Gaza. And the wall which was erected around, and unfortunetely through parts of the West Bank was built to keep terrorists out of Israel.

Apologies obv meant West Bank.

I was at this wall in Jeruslaem a few weeks ago and you're right, it was built (and is still being built) to keep out suicide bombers.

A short term solution to a long term problem imo.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    It is hard to find 'Photos that Shook the World' - many of the photos/news have been posted already. And then the photos have to be truly international. I have spent hours trawling through the internet looking for photos for this thread. And then to find the perfect photo(s) to represent an event.

It is one of the best threads on boards though.
    I agree it is hard to find images on a specific event that hasnt been previously covered. I tend to post several photos and links to information on a certain event/youtube videos if availible, as i know it annoys me when people post a photo with no information.
    Beslan School siege
    some of my better posts have been on the last few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

1556534-vlarge.jpg

draft_lens10920021module100351091photo_1273728219bradford_fire.jpg

bradford_fire_dude_on_fire.jpg

VP3a.jpg

The bradford stadium fire of 1985 that took 56 lives. This changed football in that wooden stands were no longer accepted in grounds.
    The man in the 3rd picture thats on fire didnt survive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Folks can we keep chat to a minimum

Posts with info about pictures are informative and appreciated but if it turns into a conversation beyond 3 or 4 post we will probably just delete them to try and keep the thread flowing

Thanks
    Rec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Yeah because terrorists don't come the apartheid neo fascist state of Israel pity the wall did not keep the state funded terrorist(IDF) out of Gaza

sabra_shatila_massacres2-790173.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

512px-I%27ll_Miss_You_Dad_by_Cecilio_M._Ricardo_Jr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Brisbane 2011 before and after (slide your mouse across)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter2.htm

(Yes you need to click on links).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

PK2008 wrote: »

A similar one is this one. Not earth-shaking, but fairly moving. Deployment ceremony for a bunch of Pennsylvania reservists.
    Little+Soldier+Girl+-+Paige+in+Formation.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Morlar wrote: »
    Brisbane 2011 before and after (slide your mouse across)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter2.htm

(Yes you need to click on links).
    Worth the click as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Those links were extremely good!

<SNIP>
    May I suggest you have a read of the charter before back seat modding again, Thanks
    Moscow Opera Siege 2002
    this ties into another post
    chechnyan rebels terrorist attack.
    a great sucess for the russian goverment with a excellent rescue, but one which soon turned bad. to raid and rescue the hostages in the theater the police and army used a gas which knocked out nearly all that inhaled it, both terrorists and hostages, this lead to the bombs worn by terrorists not being used and for the terrorists to be subdued and hostages to be rescued, the resounding sucess soon backfired when hostages began to simply die of lack of oxegen as they swallowed their toungues and asphyxiated when the antidote wasnt administered in time.

there has also been reports of long term health effects on the hostages but most of them still praise the actions of the police and army.
    Wikipedia
    4OD documentry includes footage shot by a terrorist

Terrorist footage

BBC report 1

BBC report 2

The leader
    1520102.jpg
    Female terrorists
    3FBBADAF-DFDC-4FAB-8640-8FA02EA383A5_mw800_mh600.jpg
    these were the bomb carriers and were mostly widows of men killed in the war in chechnya.
    terror%20in%20moscow.jpg
    its believed the main reason the bombs werent detonated was the simple fact that an order wasnt issued in time
    _41018372_chechentheatre_afp203b.jpg
    Hostages gathered outside
    moscow.jpg
    hostage on a bus to hospital
    the-moscow-theatre-hostage-crisis.jpg

its been a hard one to get images of, I recommend watching the documentry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Unfortunately I found the end of this thread :(

Spent a long time on here looking at photos and then researching on wiki... Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^ Jesus Christ!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

^^^^

Errie how you posted them a day before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662

allanb49 wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Errie how you posted them a day before
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662
    I thought so too, I've been looking for images on the latest attack but they seem scarce so far, less than 16 hours between the bomb blast and my post.

Chechnyan wars
    bit a reading on the whole chechnyan subject:
    largly unreported war, at least i dont remember it, as it was amid the fall of the soviet union where countless new countries were formed and broke up (yugoslavia break up etc...)

First chechen war
    Second chechnen war
    the war illustrated AKA pictures
    More photos each of the 47 pages contain more....

compilation video of the war in checnya

compilation video of the war in checnya

BBC Report

IRA GUNGIRL

June 1975 Belfast
    scan0002t.jpg

Schools Out

May 1981 Belfast
    scan0004gi.jpg

SEARCH

April 1984 Falls Road, Belfast
    scan0003mq.jpg

Symathy for the enemy West of Saigon- 1968
    These GIs had captured a vietcong fighter only to discover that his belly had been blown out. He had dropped his intestines into a little washing up bowl, put the bowl over his wound and wrapped a cloth around it to keep it in place. He kept fighting for two or three days like this until he was captured.

He was very thirsty which often happens with a stomach wound, the vietnamese interpreter said "Let him drink paddy water" to which an American GI said "Anybody who can fight like this for three days can drink out of my canteen anytime"

68392588.jpg

on the subject of northern Ireland,
    if the size of these two photos is an issue please let me know. thought
    it would be best to post them in their original size than to resize them.

World Press Photo award winner 1969
    an Northern Irish catholic stands with a gas mask on infront of a wall with grafitti
    saying "we want peace". teargas was apparently used moments later by the Police.
    t4x8n.jpg

British soldier arguing with resident
    found this on the net a while ago. I'm not sure of the original caption but its
    a great photo. (note the graffitti "victory to the Hunger Strikers")
    8mQlD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

0verblood wrote: »
    So many thank whore cry baby pussies on this thread :rolleyes:

Banned for a month for being a dick in a sensitive thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

nanking_massacre_11911575.jpg

nanking_massacre_119143881.jpg

There is a whole series of photos that were taken.
    it is denied (well sort of) by Japan. to be honest the above photos are the least offensive ones. The Japanese military went on a rampage and orgy of murder, looting, rape over a period of weeks. Apparently this is not an isolated incident either. Its one of the reasons why Korea, China etc are still very wary of Japan.

1945_Japanese-surrender.jpg

Japanese unconditional surrender

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Went from start to finish through this thread and has to be the best thread I will or have ever read.

I now believe it is my duty to contribute so here goes.

(Hopefully it hasn't been posted before)

Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt

c1426-19.jpg

That's all I can think of for know, most of the other iconic photos have been posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Link very NSFW. Contains nudity.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1188/1453634082_3f0edf7e4c_o.jpg

Dunno if anyone else remembers this, saw a documentary on this girl, shes still starving herself apparently. Given the amount of pictures people have posted from famines, I think this says a lot...

Just googled her. Wikipedia says she died in November and her mother killed herself 2 weeks ago because of the guilt :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Advertisement