Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

1967 - Boston Marathon

In 1967, women are barred from entering the marathon. Kathrine Switzer enters that years Boston Marathon under the name "KV Switzer". During the race, race director Jock Semple spots Katherine, gives chase and tries to physically throw her out of the race yelling "Get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers".

67BosIncidentCORBIS_web.jpg

Kathy-Switzer-Boston-Maraton-1967_c.jpg

cKathy-Switzer-Boston-Maraton-1967_a.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Few chat posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

For the day that's in it
    6vPVKk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I was living in Germany at the time. It was first up on the news that evening, recognised Newlands Cross atraight away as I'd stood there hitching so many times before, still very shocking.

90305443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

The U.S. locks up children at more than six times the rate of all other developed nations. On any given night in the U.S., there are approximately 60,500 youth confined in juvenile correctional facilities or other residential programs.

x_juvy00.jpg

x_juvy06.jpg

x_juvy05.jpg

x_juvy03.jpg

x_juvy042.jpg

PageImage-510800-3660841-juvenile_in_justice37.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Unfortunately, that doesn't shock the world...which is in itself shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Unfortunately, that doesn't shock the world...which is in itself shocking.

'murica.

Oil Crisis October 1973, shook Europe into the fact that we don't control the oil tap and we could be held hostage to the whims of a few people in OPEC.

Changed the geo political policy of the USA in that they stepped up their policy of controlling oil producers and routes to the US.

1973-oil-crisis-motorists-008.jpg

ELT200801080052171695329.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh1M6F0sQhfh0Gah1FUFmwj-CUF4RncUIJy9liwIMVIJCZXq870Q

0asorrynogass.jpg

0,,16342698_303,00.jpg

1433-autofrei_7_ap.jpg

historical-photos-pt6-1973-oil-crisis-picnic-highway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Famous photo with an interesting back story.

karsh_churchill.jpg?w=700
    It was one of the most famous portraits ever made. Some say it is the most reproduced image in history. It was on the cover of LIFE magazine when WWII ended. The photo was taken by one of the most famous portrait photographers, Yousef Karsh–known as Karsh of Ottawa–on 30 December, 1941, after Churchill gave a speech to Canadian House of Commons in Ottawa. [On the 60th anniversary of that famous speech, Canada honored Karsh and Churchill with a commemorative stamp featuring above photo.]

Karsh was hired by the Canadian government to do this portrait and knew he would have very little time to make the picture. He began by researching Churchill, taking notes on all of the prime minister’s habits, quirks, attitudes and tendencies. When he finally got Churchill seated in the chair, with lights blazing, Churchill snapped “You have two minutes. And that’s it, two minutes.” The truth was that Churchill was angry that he had not been told he was to be photographed; he lit a fresh cigar and puffed mischievously.

Karsh asked Churchill to remove the cigar in his mouth, but Churchill refused. Karsh walked up to Churchill supposedly to get a light level and casually pulled the signature cigar from the lips of Churchill and walked back toward his camera. As he walked he clicked his camera remote, capturing the ‘determined’ look on Churchill’s face, which was in fact a reflection of his indignantcy. Karsh recounted: “I stepped toward him and without premeditation, but ever so respectfully, I said, ‘Forgive me, Sir’ and plucked the cigar out of his mouth. By the time I got back to my camera, he looked so belligerent he could have devoured me. It was at that instant I took the photograph. The silence was deafening. Then Mr Churchill, smiling benignly, said, ‘You may take another one.’ He walked toward me, shook my hand and said, ‘You can even make a roaring lion stand still to be photographed.’”

Source: http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/winston-churchill-by-yousef-karsh/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

g7ZfjIf.jpg
    Then 18-year-old Keshia Thomas of Ann Arbor shields a man wearing a Confederate T-shirt from an angry crowd during a Ku Klux Klan rally on June 22, 1996, outside Ann Arbor's city hall. Thomas, who won national attention for her act, later said: “People don’t have to remember my name. I just want them to remember that I did the right thing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24653643

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL2hVcVRrNOJ5J_kFGGIn-H-RFDcLHLMeB7pG-ZOT9mR4n9-AZ8NMUoYu9

waco-murders-2.jpg

Waco%20Siege.png

Which in turn inspired this guy

TimMcVeigh.jpg

To do this

oklahoma_city_01.jpg

okcitybomb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What I hate is that I know both of their names, yet I couldn't tell you the names of any of the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

PirateShampoo, pardon my ignorance, but can you explain those pics or post a link to stories? Context people :o

Top couple are David Koresh and the Waco Siege.

Bottom ones are Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma Bombing.

Both of them huge stories at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PirateShampoo, pardon my ignorance, but can you explain those pics or post a link to stories? Context people :o

Oklahoma Bombing, terrorism on US soil before it was cool.

the other is the waco siege
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_Siege

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cheers, I thought the bottom one was the Oklahoma bombing. I vaguely remember when it happened (I was 9), but I've never really read much into it. Didn't know anything about the top one, I'll have a read now :)

The whole Waco incident was a clusterf*ck of immense proportions. If you're interested, you should try and track down a great book called Them: Adventures with Extremists written by Jon Ronson, who wrote Men Who Stare At Goats. One of the people he interviews is a guy called Randy Weaver, whose wife and son was essentially slaughtered at a place called Ruby Ridge in a very similar style to Waco.

relief-map-ruby-ridge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Sure, i'll use wiki because it explains it better ;).

The first set of pictures is the Waco Siege in Texas:
    The Waco siege was a siege of a compound belonging to the religious group Branch Davidians by American federal and Texas state law enforcement and military between February 28 and April 19, 1993.

The Branch Davidians, a Christian sect led by David Koresh, lived at Mount Carmel Center ranch in the community of Elk, Texas, nine miles (14 kilometers) east-northeast of Waco. The group was suspected of weapons violations and a search and arrest warrant was obtained.

The incident began when the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) attempted to raid the ranch. An intense gun battle erupted, resulting in the deaths of four agents and six Branch Davidians. Upon the ATF's failure to raid the compound, a siege was initiated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the standoff lasting 51 days. Eventually, the FBI launched an assault and initiated a tear gas attack in an attempt to force the Branch Davidians out. During the attack, a fire engulfed Mount Carmel Center and 76 men, women, and children, including David Koresh, died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

And in the second set the young man pictured is Timothy McVeigh, who is responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, he claimed he did it because of what happened at Waco (which he visited while the siege was going on) and has boneyarsebogman posted above Ruby Ridge:
    Timothy James "Tim" McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was an American domestic terrorist who detonated a truck bomb in front of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. Commonly referred to as the Oklahoma City bombing, the attack killed 168 people and injured over 600. It was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the September 11 attacks, and remains the most serious act of domestic terrorism in United States history.

McVeigh, a militia movement sympathizer and Gulf War veteran, sought revenge against the federal government for their handling of the Waco Siege, which ended in the deaths of 76 people exactly two years prior to the bombing, as well as for the Ruby Ridge incident in 1992. McVeigh hoped to inspire a revolt against what he considered to be a tyrannical federal government. He was convicted of eleven federal offenses and sentenced to death. His execution took place on June 11, 2001, at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana. Terry Nichols and Michael Fortier were also convicted as conspirators in the plot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Large crowds celebrate the Red Sox World Series victory on the exact same spot of the Boston Marathon bombings a couple of months earlier. Fcuk the terrorists, they will never win.

Boston Strong

BYE1Bx2IAAACW4s-15273.jpg

davis_parade3_spts[1].jpg

13699516-essay.jpg

jeff.jpg

BYE9LUiIUAA8-dq-480x640.jpg

BYE_aY4IQAAxzWG-480x437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Taken from Imgur:Incredible colorized historical photos
    I know they may not all be 'photos that shook the world' but they are cool and definitely worth a post!

Abandoned boy holding a stuffed toy animal. London 1945
    JzK67uO.png

Hindenburg Disaster – May 6, 1937
    EdospOk.png

Japanese Archers circa 1860
    4SAjbko.png

View from Capitol in Nashville, Tennessee During the Civil War, 1864
    4SxWbq7.png

Unemployed lumber worker, circa 1939
    dqkFEyT.png

Audrey Hepburn
    CFy6DZ4.png

Albert Einstein, Summer 1939 Nassau Point, Long Island, NY
    EuEZmAG.png

Joseph Goebbels scowling at photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt after finding out he’s Jewish, 1933
    2j7theS.png

Young boy in Baltimore slum area, July 1938
    Q8ZziQp.png

British troops cheerfully board their train for the first stage of their trip to the front – England, September 20, 1939
    LTV300D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

massy086 wrote: »

Photo 4 has been updated since this article was written.

Maybe should be in the feels thread.

It's a large image so I'll link it:

http://i.imgur.com/4n9hTo6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

"The Tenerife airport disaster occurred on Sunday, March 27, 1977, when two Boeing 747 passenger aircraft collided on the runway of Los Rodeos Airport (now known as Tenerife North Airport) on the Spanish island of Tenerife, one of the Canary Islands. With a total of 583 fatalities, the crash is the deadliest accident in aviation history."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Probably not world shaking but certainly sports shaking...

Probably one of the most horrific fatal crashes in motorsport history, Gordon Smiley, 1982. Its on youtube, but it is pretty hard viewing. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Smiley

Gordon-Smiley-crash-2.jpg

378482d1342386995-gordon-smiley-original-abc-broadcast-5-15-82-hq-video-pictures-smileyearlyincrash.jpg

Also, Swede Savage's crash at the Indy 500, 1973 (crash on youtube also):

"The right half of his rear wing had come loose, causing his car to twitch back and forth, then slid across to the inside of the track at nearly top speed, hitting the angled inside wall nearly head-on. The force of the impact, with the car carrying a full load of fuel, caused the car to explode in a 60-foot-high plume of flame. Savage, still strapped in his seat, was thrown back across the circuit. He came to rest adjacent to the outer retaining wall, fully conscious and completely exposed while he lay in a pool of flaming methanol fuel. Longtime Indy 500 spectators who witnessed the crash called it the most spectacular single-car accident in the history of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    ....he died in the hospital 33 days after the accident
    . It is widely reported that Savage died of kidney failure from infection...."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swede_Savage

380932d1343210198-art-pollard-salt-walther-swede-savage-armando-teran-tragic-1973-indy-500-1973swede041qr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Gordon Smiley's accident is one of the most violent and horrifying things I've ever seen. I read some medical reports about how he was essentially liquified within his own skin due to the force of the impact. Apparently, Gonzalo Rodriguez's crash at Laguna Seca 99 was very similar, along with the basalar skull fracture, the effects on his body were very similar.

Sickening crashes. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Harcourt Street Station - 1900

The 9.55am service from Bray crashes through the station wall

train_crash.jpg

Harcourt+St+Feb+1914.jpg

138.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Taken aboard the International Space Station after landfall from the Typhoon that is causing havoc through parts of Asia.
    BYt6SakCMAALrpU.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Filibuster wrote: »
    Harcourt Street Station - 1900

The 9.55am service from Bray crashes through the station wall
    http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/138.jpg

The "present day" picture has the train coming out in the wrong direction - it burst through the wall onto Upper Hatch Street - about 90 degree angle from what the mock-up picture shows.

If you go there now you can still see the repaired brick-work (over the door of Tripod)

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-6.262593!3d53.334075!2m2!1f166.74!2f105.49!4f75!2m7!1e1!2m2!1sP7bpkTULLKWFnXlXPQ0_Zg!2e0!5m2!1sP7bpkTULLKWFnXlXPQ0_Zg!2e0&fid=5

Advertisement