Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thiniing of upgrading Canon 40d to 5dMkii or 7d...

• 25-11-2009 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Most of the stuff I shoot is landscape. They end up predominantly being B&W. So, after jumping from 300d to 400d to 40d I now feel the need for more pixels as I print to A3+ sizes regularly.

My lens set-up is...well, moderate. I have the following:

Sigma DC 17-70 f2.8-4.5 Macro
    Sigma EX 10-20 f4-5.6
    a Canon 50mm 1.8 MkII (updating this also, may go Canon 1.4 or the Sigma)

So, I'm wondering which/what to do.
    Should I go for the 5dMkii and dive head first into the full frame world? or should I take a smaller 'step' and go for the APS-c 7d?

all comments welcome :-)

There's basically €500 in the difference now between the both.

Will the 5d Mkii show up my lenses?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not being into Canon (other than the G9)

The 40D has enough resolution for A3+ Prints.

For Landscape work I really fail to see what you will gain from this upgrade. Where is the 40D limiting you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not being into Canon (other than the G9)

The 40D has enough resolution for A3+ Prints.

For Landscape work I really fail to see what you will gain from this upgrade. Where is the 40D limiting you now?

It's not just down to the pixels, it's more the sensor. With the full frame I'll get more out of the wider angled lenses. I should get less noise too and generally sharper images with more detail. I guess, that's what i'm looking for really, more detail.

I know a few pros and those that are on Canon rate the 5dMkii far higher than the 40d. Guess i'd like to see what all the fuss is about :-)

I'll be working on a couple of exhibitions over the coming months and want to get the best i can afford, that's capped at about 2k at the moment, just about fit a 5dMkii or I could go for better lenses instead. Maybe like a 24-70 f2.8 L from canon and a 70-200 F2.8 L has my interest also.

But I'm not sure i'm going to see as much an advantage over the Sigmas I currently use. I may see a better advantage with the full frame camera.

Why i'm posting the query really :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The 10-20 wont work on full frame and full frame needs good glass to make the most of, so perhaprs the 7d will be your best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Seen an 5d with 1k off in Berminghams the other day, I would have thought getting a few L lens which work with both F/F + cropped bodies is a better buy for when you want to take the plunge into the F/F world. Cameras will come and go but a good lens well can last upto 10yrs (maybe?) that would be my thinking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

5D II is far superior on IQ compared to the 7D, for what you want it for it's also exactly what you want.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=33772396

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Sigma DC 17-70 f2.8-4.5 Macro will not work on the 5D as it was designed for APS-C.

As mentioned above the the Sigma EX 10-20 f4-5.6 will not fit either.

You would be left with a cheap lens to mount on a 2k body........ (Im not putting the 50mm 1.8 down in any way)

Build up lenses first as you will keep them longer than a camera body. (Usually)

Also i would recommend buying EF mount lenses from now on and not EFS if you are thinking of moving to FF some day.
    e.gif

Borderfox wrote: »
    The 10-20 wont work on full frame and full frame needs good glass to make the most of, so perhaprs the 7d will be your best bet

Ah OK, just did a search on that. The lens will work on the 5dMkii but it suffers from severe vignetting. Really like that lens, so i guess I'd need a replacement

Any suggestions for a replacement for the 17-70 / 10-20?

I see there's a 24-70 f2.8L on Adverts for 990

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The 24-70mm on a 5D is equivalent to the 18-55mm on a 40D. A similar option to your 10-20mm on a 40D would be a 17-40mm on a 5D.

17-40mm should cost you €4-500 second hand and the 24-70 should be about €8-850 second hand. That price on Adverts is daft. You'll get one much cheaper on ebay or on Fred Miranda. I got mine there for €800 delivered.

OK, great, thanks for all the advice people :-)

• Advertisement

there's a 70-200 f4L on adverts also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

give me a shout when you're getting rid of the 10-20, I'll take it off your hands

ok, will do.
    here's the type of stuff im doing btw

http://www.markjgriffin.ie/portfolio/photography

Advertisement