Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving techniques

• 25-11-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into this lately (the theory I mean, I don't have access to a car in Australia) and there are a lot of things I never thought of with regards to handling. Understeer and oversteer for instance, they get a lot of people into trouble because they don't expect it to happen. Mainly boy racers, but it's still relevant to an everyday driver. Another thing is weight transfer, meaning less grip during acceleration and braking in a FWD car.

Knowledge of these things seem to contribute to driving safety, especially in the wet. So do you know of any driving techniques that could help the average Irish motorist drive more safely?

Note: I'm not talking about sticking to the ROTR here, which would certainly contribute to better driving safety, I'm talking about specific driving techniques you find useful on the road.

Some useful techniques and explanations here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The section on racing lines is very interesting.
    Cheers for the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I actually notice that I 'use a racing line' when I'm driving, you know, hitting the apex etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I actually notice that I 'use a racing line' when I'm driving, you know, hitting the apex etc.

Eh? How do you do that on a two way road?

Ok, then, while keeping within the lines like.

Ok, then, while keeping within the lines like.

;)

• Advertisement

It's actually the truth -.-

It's actually the truth -.-

I think I'll stop using smileys so much, they're easily misinterpreted. I believe you. On with the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Roadcraft (the book). End of. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

esel wrote: »

That's the wheel-shufflers manual, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think a very important thing is to know what your actual car does in given situations.
    How it brakes wet & dry, how it handles itself braking hard on a bend in emergency, does it tend to let go at the back or just push on straight ahead.
    Be aware of which wheels are driven and how this is actually pushing or pulling car ( The number of people who dont know this is surprising )
    Learn how it loses grip under exceleration and how to control it.
    Learn how to position the car on entry to bends to create the best route through the corner in relation to carrying effortless safe speed while also being aware of oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This is why you should all go up to somewhere like the Sallygap and throw the car around as much as possible and see what you can get away with learn how it reacts

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

esel wrote: »

Agreed...

[FONT=&quot]and, a racing line on a public road not necessary the 'best' line to take around a bend.. 'casue there are no guys waving yellow flags for you.. :)

[/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

im a fan of left foot braking... can go through a set very quick tho if your pushing for a while..

Also as my new car has very soft suspension im getting used to throwing the weight of the car around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Slow in, Fast out.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/rev-matching.htm

I read about rev matching a while back, gave it a try and now I use it all the time. Just makes the drive seem smoother.

Later tried to move on to heel and toe, disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    Eh? How do you do that on a two way road?
    There are times when it's actually safer to be on the wrong side of the road.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

galwaytt wrote: »
    Slow in, Fast out.

Thats a Myth :) Fast in, even faster out :D

There's good books to be read about the basics. Also, doing a course at Mondello for example. Please dont pr1ck about with understeer, oversteer etc on the road ;)
    glaston wrote:
    Later tried to move on to heel and toe, disaster!
    Keep trying, in a safe place of course. Some cars pedal layouts arent ideal. Smaller cars tend to be easier, aside from the pedals being closer together, the bite point for the brakes usualy conincides roughly with the accelerator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

only brake ( and accelerate sharply) on the straight....keep those feet to yourself on the bends....

Oh and dont buy front wheel drive....:):rolleyes:

corktina wrote: »
    only brake ( and accelerate sharply) on the straight....keep those feet to yourself on the bends....

Oh and dont buy front wheel drive....:):rolleyes:
    Would you like all us death-bound 18 year old chung fla rapid animal drivers driftin round the N7 on-ramps in high powered skylines and silvias?

Or can I stick to my civic and enjoy the noise it makes while I sit in comfort in a recaro seat while sticking to the speed limit, going straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As far as safety is concerned, the most important driving techique is to learn to look (and think) ahead. Expand your field of vision beyond the numberplate of the car in front, keep your distance and keep an overwiev of the situation.
    Recognise and anticipate what is going to happen next and be prepared for it.

Try to drive as smoothly as possible, avoiding sharp acceleration and panic braking or hectic steering maneuvres. Not only is that safer, it's also more economical.

(and if Gaybo reads this ...smooth doesn't neccesarily equate with slow :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Would you like all us death-bound 18 year old chung fla rapid animal drivers driftin round the N7 on-ramps in high powered skylines and silvias?

i thought i said the opposite to that...try using the pedals IN MY CAR and you'll be facing back the way you came....:D:D

corktina wrote: »

i thought i said the opposite to that...try using the pedals IN MY CAR and you'll be facing back the way you came....:D:D
    What car is that? I've probably driven one, but your original post made it sound like we should all avoid FWD cars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Slow in, Fast out.

Where have I hear that before?

Oh, yes - an ex-girlfriend used to say that to me. :D

There is a lot you can learn about how your car handels in different situations.

Oh, and what peasant said.

Advertisement