Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Rights in the USA

Options
  • 25-11-2009 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I'm in New Jersey on an internship for a year. Before I went over I was offered in my offer letter a certain amount of money and hours per week, neither of which I ever get. I came over with quite a bit of money I had saved up however it's running dry now as I'm subsiding the cost of living here. I've talked and written to my employer and sponsor to no avail, all they say is it's due to the economic climate. It is likely I am going to have to go home soon.

Does anyone know if the employer is liable for damages? I'm slightly peeved that I've been taken for a ride, after all they offered me this pay in April when there was already a downturn. I was looking into it online and read somewhere that employers in the state of NJ have the right to alter or terminate a contract unless the contract specifically states that both parties have to agree, and thus I don't have a true contract of employment.

Does it make any difference that the company came over to Ireland to interview? Also they still stick to other parts of the contract that suit them, such as not getting time and a half on national holidays.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're asking for legal advice for a foreign country which you can't get here. In general though the answer is yes, they can stick it to you in general and you have no come back about it. Interviewing you in Ireland has no impact on anything as the contract is in the US based on US law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Nody wrote: »
    Interviewing you in Ireland has no impact on anything as the contract is in the US based on US law.

Yeah, same with me. I am working in Bahrain, the interviews were held in Dublin, but it was made clear that as we are working in Bahrain, we are subject to Bahraini labour laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Workers rights in the USA are virtually non-existent. If you keep asking them about it they can just turn around and sack you at the drop of a hat, and you have absolutely no come-back.

Advertisement