Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 weeks looking for work, what to do?!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread is disheartening :( Most people seem to be in Sydney though, so perhaps when I go over I'll have a look in other cities instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Forget about cities, live in a small town, its way easier to get a job. I spent the winter in Queensland, getting work was a piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

CiaranC wrote: »
    Forget about cities, live in a small town, its way easier to get a job. I spent the winter in Queensland, getting work was a piece of piss.

Yeah, seems to be the way to do it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Been in Melbourne 36 hours and been put forward for 3 jobs. Granted the recruitment agents could be bluffing but lets hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Number_8

I'm in melbourne at the moment and there seems to be no real shortage of work.

I found two jobs within the space of a week and although they're both no brainer gigs they're perfect for any backpacker looking to save withouth any real long term commiment.

I'm living with quite a few people in a share house and everybody that has come through the doors has found something with a couple of days effort. That said things will probably change a little over the summer months, possibly for the worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Number_8 wrote: »
    I'm in melbourne at the moment and there seems to be no real shortage of work.

I found two jobs within the space of a week and although they're both no brainer gigs they're perfect for any backpacker looking to save withouth any real long term commiment.

I'm living with quite a few people in a share house and everybody that has come through the doors has found something with a couple of days effort. That said things will probably change a little over the summer months, possibly for the worse
    What field are all these jobs in?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Been in Melbourne 36 hours and been put forward for 3 jobs. Granted the recruitment agents could be bluffing but lets hope not.
    To be honest, put forward mans little, try cut out recruitment guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Number_8

CiaranC wrote: »
    What field are all these jobs in?

I'm a temp in a typical mind numbing data entry job. I signed with an agency and they landed me the job within 7 days, (maybe I was lucky) that was back in September and its starting to look likey that I can stay put in this role for another few months yet.

I had another offer at the time for a part time sales role with a view to becoming permanent which I turned down because I didnt fancy working 7 days a week.

Neither of these jobs would be any use for anybody serious about coming over to make a living but as a backpacker who wants to save for a year or more of traveling its perfect.

My house mates that arrived after me have all landed full-time work in restaraunts and bars after looking around for a few days and being proactive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Xavi6 wrote: »
    To all those using agencies - stop now. They are a bunch of cowboys and will tell you all sorts of tall tails to get you on board. I went through two different ones when I first got here and all they cared about was their commission. They put your CV in for jobs you have no chance of getting but fill you with false hope. My advice is to do it all yourself. Approach companies directly and cut out the crap in between.

In fairness, in 2 years in Oz and NZ all my jobs were got through agencies, and some paid really well, so you can't really tar them all.
    All IT contract jobs go through agencies, AFAIK, and they were keen to get me interviews with companies as soon as they met me. Maybe it's to do with the CV you send them though, if you are in demand they'll want to send the best candidates to interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murm57

hey every1, if ur lookn 4wrk in sydney,its 2hard-every1 is ther,u need 2move 2other cities like brisbane or perth.way better jobs there.my cousin is in oz wrkn at the mo;was in sydney 4ages lookn 4a job,moved 2perth and is wrkn away full time mon-fri.good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

murm57 wrote: »
    hey every1, if ur lookn 4wrk in sydney,its 2hard-every1 is ther,u need 2move 2other cities like brisbane or perth.way better jobs there.my cousin is in oz wrkn at the mo;was in sydney 4ages lookn 4a job,moved 2perth and is wrkn away full time mon-fri.good luck.
    futurethink-text-speak.png?w=288&h=430

sorry couldn't resist

Advertisement