Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Jazeera Buys out ART Sports

• 25-11-2009 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

ART confirms Al Jazeera sports sale

It has been reporting for some weeks on the sale of most of Arab Radio & Television's sports assets to rival Al Jazeera. The deal is now confirmed.

ART, in a statement fro m Al Jazeera's offices in Doha, Qatar, says the deal was signed November 24.

"Al Jazeera Network acquires ART's sport content and associated ART sport trademarks," said the statement. "ART shall continue to act as host broadcaster for the Saudi Football Federation competitions and to transmit the matches on ART Sport 7 jointly with Al Jazeera Sport Channels until the end of the 2010-2011 season. ART Sport 7 will be available on Al Jazeera Sport Channel bouquet."

Terms of the deal were not revealed but they are believed to be close to $2bn.

"Al Jazeera Sport Channel will add a wide array of sport events to the span of its exclusive right portfolio including the FIFA World Cup 2010 and 2014, the African Cup of Nations from 2010 to 2016, several football national league championships from the MENA region and all Saudi League and national team matches," said the statement.

"Al Jazeera Sport Channel will continue transmitting the exclusive rights of La Ligua, Italian Football Seri A, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Euro Cup 2012 & 2016 and many other sports events."

"ART will distribute Al Jazeera Sport Channels +1 to +8 only on a non- exclusive basis as part of the new ART bouquets," added ART. "ART Sport and Al Jazeera Sport subscribers will be able to access free sports channels from both ART Sport and Al Jazeera's Sport bouquets, for a period of one month starting from December 1, 2009."

ART Sport channels 1 to 6 will cease to be transmitted on December 31st 2010. "ART subscribers will be able to continue to enjoy their sports programmes on Al Jazeera Sport channels as part of the ART bouquet."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

if this is true its great news :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes its true. Seems Al Jazeera is one of the big boys now. Im hoping they will give Mr greedy a run for his money. So far what ive seen coming out of Al Jazeera has been superb! Yes a few techincal hitches, but weve had some great coverage so far, plus they have a lot of English coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

snaps wrote: »
    Seems Al Jazeera is one of the big boys now. Im hoping they will give Mr greedy a run for his money. So far what ive seen coming out of Al Jazeera has been superb! Yes a few techincal hitches, but weve had some great coverage so far, plus they have a lot of English coverage.
    Easy to be a big boy when you are being bankrolled by a Sheikh.:D
    Al Jazeera havent made a profit since they started broadcasting in 96.
    Good channel though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This is intersting!

So, us JSC subscribers will access ART for all December... and then we will be able to watch all the ART content afterwards, when it's moved into the 8 JSC channels?

I'd expect that the Showtime Maghreb channel was not part of the deal, since it's not owned by ART. Maybe Showtime is next on Al Jazeeras list of compulsory purchases :D

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    Easy to be a big boy when you are being bankrolled by a Sheikh.:D
    Al Jazeera havent made a profit since they started broadcasting in 96.
    Good channel though.

I actually think that they are a non profiting broadcaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

A superb package that will get better - lets hope for EPL in the future.

so are they saying that I will be able to get al jazeera channels on my art card for 1 month on Dec 1 ?

Pal wrote: »
    so are they saying that I will be able to get al jazeera channels on my art card for 1 month on Dec 1 ?

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't open JSC with your Art card after Art is closed down.

There would be war over that

byte

As of a short while ago, I've lost JSC +1 +2 +3 and +4. The other 4 are still working.

Anyone else with JSC Viaccess card having similar issue?

• Advertisement
    byte

Update: they're back on now, down for about an hour or so.

I was thinking it might have had something to do with Dec1 being tomorrow, and them working on getting ART working on JSC cards or vice versa. However, I still don't have ART on my JSC card.

Neither cards are clearing the other package at the moment. Ive left my art card in the tm6900 by itself on AJ+2 to see if it updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hagi_complex

I was about to buy an art card for EPL football. Can anyone clarify what this buyout means in terms of this? I'm assuming that I will still need an art card, rather than just the Al Jazeera one?

Or, put simply, which card should I now be looking at buying? It'll be going into a TM-6900.

Id hold off if i was you. Showtime maghreb is nothing to do with art sports.

Anyones ART card update / change ? I haven't been able to try yet as my Dreambox had a 'woopsie' so I am currently rebuilding it!

byte

ART Sports not clearing here.

cannot open JSC channels with my ART card

everything exactly as before

BOO

:(

Al Jazeera Sport to publish new sports prices
    by John Parnell on Dec 2, 2009

Al Jazeera Sports will publish the new prices for its bouquet of sports content, which was recently expanded greatly through the purchase of ART’s own slate of sporting broadcast rights, according to Khaled Abu Namous, general manager of MultiChoice Middle East.

Among these newly acquired rights are the next two FIFA World Cups and a host of regional football leagues.

“The sport content of Al Jazeera will be available to ART subscribers and new prices will be published in the next 48hrs,” said Abu Namous of MultiChoice, which provides subscriber and technical services to a number of pay TV operators in the region, although it is owned by ART.

Confirmation of the deal last week has been received positively in the industry with one local broadcast veteran describing it as “incredibly good news”.

Namous expects the deal to impact positively on consumers as well as the Middle East’s pay TV operators continue to consolidate their programming and move towards a unified single platform.

“The main advantage for pay TV subscribers in this region is giving them the option to have all content available to them through one platform, I believe this is the biggest benefit for the subscriber," said Namous.

Also Al Jazeera started to broadcast ESPN, ESPN Classic & ESPN America on Nilesat.

And on another note, there seems to be widespread problems now with viaccess cards and this is causing problems with us being able to view art sports and vice versa

And on another note, there seems to be widespread problems now with viaccess cards and this is causing problems with us being able to view art sports and vice versa

Bugger, where did you read that Snaps? Hopefully they can get it sorted out.

It came up on a google search. Also been reported on other forums.

• Advertisement
    byte

By "publishing new prices" does that mean yet a further fee to pay JSC for the new materials, just like we had to do for JSC +3 to +8?

ART channels still open on ART card.

Showtime maghreb too.

any news on what happens next please ?

in regards to hotbird nobody seems to have answers. Showtime maghreb is not part of art sports, so again no answers there. The changeover is working ok on Nilesat along with their new channels espn sports. But like i say art will cease broadcasting from the 31st dec, if al jazeeras new channels will apear where art sports were remains to be seen

art channels are now clearing with my Al Jazeera viaccess card but not the other way round.

byte

art channels are now clearing with my Al Jazeera viaccess card but not the other way round.
    Thanks for the heads up. ART now working here too (on JSC Viaccess).

No showtime maghreb though with Al JAzeera cards. Im wondering what will happen when the art sports close? Will prime and 1-6 be new al jazeera channels? Wondering why al jazeera channels wont clear with my art card? Thats a bit worrying.

byte

Yeah, it's strange. I had originally thougth that ART Sports would cease at the end of the month, and all sports integrated into the JSC bouquet, but rereading the article, ART Sports doesn't cease til December 2010.

So, it's anyones guess what'll happen in January. I'd guess JSC subscribers pay another premium to access the ART Sports channels....

My ART card is clearing the JSC channels ....

still open

all JSC and ART

• Advertisement

ALL my ART and Jsc gone but that is thanks to my dreambox 5620 melting itself :( Hope the surge didn't damage the card!

Going to put a spare DVB PCI card into a spare PC until I can afford a new rxr.

ALL my ART and Jsc gone but that is thanks to my dreambox 5620 melting itself :( Hope the surge didn't damage the card!

Going to put a spare DVB PCI card into a spare PC until I can afford a new rxr.

Oh dear! Al Jazeera have just announced 2 new channels starting 2010. +9 and +10 which will enable them to show all the African nations cup games and all the world cup SA games.

byte

Oh dear! Al Jazeera have just announced 2 new channels starting 2010. +9 and +10 which will enable them to show all the African nations cup games and all the world cup SA games.
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to get my wallet out again so :/

Art sports 1-6 have ceased broadcasting. Only Prime sports there now

Art sports 1-6 have ceased broadcasting. Only Prime sports there now

That was the first package I ever got outside of Sky for the EPL, picture was cack but by god was it great for seeing all Utd games.

Lets hope JSC acquire some EPL & go widescreen, apparently some serious dough there now.

Al Jazeera sports +9 & +10 now on hotbird 11296H 27500 3/4

• Advertisement

anybody having reception problems on JSC ?

well +5 kept freezing earlier during the old firm so i switched to +3 and all was fine

+3 freezes for me but +5 is working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi guys,I notice You's never use the thanks button! Surely the OP deserved it?across many of the 'serious' forums this seems to be a trend:(

even if the information comes from other web sources surely the poster who brings it to the 'one stop shop' of boards 'foreign satellite' should be shown appreciation?.

My reason for posting is to ask that people not use acronynms all the time and try remember that some people are developing an interest in FS.

I know plenty about fixed dish pointed at28'2/5 east but as a potential hobby 'pulling in' FS,s leaves many questions unanswered.

May'be there is links to good affordable steerable/quad Lnb dish,s and receivers,Cams and how to get cards for them(legally)etc etc,but i cant find them!

So my humble request is may,be a sticky to the acronyms or a link to same?

receivers that are future proof and good value,prices of steerable dish's and installation {in R.O.I}

basicly that you's don't forget that a 'new' hobby of a thousand miles has to begin with a single step!:)

cheers

we set up here to discuss foreign sat.

I for one am happy with the status quo.

If you feel urges to go about thanking people then feel free.

We don't have a noobie section but I'm sure your questions can be answered if you care to post them.

I don't know or care what an acronym is unless it is something to do with sat in which case I am surprised to have never heard of it. If +3 or whatever confuses you, please ask. we will gladly explain.

anybody notice showtime maghreb still open ?

• Advertisement

Showtime Maghreb opening here and transmitting as normal.

Pal wrote: »
    we set up here to discuss foreign sat.

I for one am happy with the status quo.

If you feel urges to go about thanking people then feel free.

We don't have a noobie section but I'm sure your questions can be answered if you care to post them.

I don't know or care what an acronym is unless it is something to do with sat in which case I am surprised to have never heard of it. If +3 or whatever confuses you, please ask. we will gladly explain.

anybody notice showtime maghreb still open ?

You are a real Pal,Pal,
    I will get the information i need on the web anyway,just not through boards.

Like You do realise that even it not a lot of jobs at boards,boards survives by the amount of 'hits' it gets?
    thank you for Your rudeness anyways and i'm sure you "will be ok jack"

ynotdu wrote: »
    You are a real Pal,Pal,

Like You do realise that even it not a lot of jobs at boards,boards survives by the amount of 'hits' it gets?

If a question is being asked there are plenty of really good guys on here that I'm sure will help....

Out of interest what receiver are you running on?

Manc-Red wrote: »
    If a question is being asked there are plenty of really good guys on here that I'm sure will help....

Out of interest what receiver are you running on?

Hi Manc,erm well i am running a very old Panasonic for sky{UK epg}
    also have UPC.
    always had more fun finding obscure TV/Radio channels than actually watching them! It is the tech bits that interest Me and wanted a 'start from the beginning guide':)

Wanted a new to me hobby{over a year since i got myself a 'new toy':)}So i am thinking within what i can afford what to go for!

Cheers for the reply,I just love tech,upgrading satellite is just one option i am considering:)

Hi Manc,erm well i am running a very old Panasonic for sky{UK epg}
    also have UPC.
    always had more fun finding obscure TV/Radio channels than actually watching them! It is the tech bits that interest Me and wanted a 'start from the beginning guide':)

Wanted a new to me hobby{over a year since i got myself a 'new toy':)}So i am thinking within what i can afford what to go for!

Cheers for the reply,I just love tech,upgrading satellite is just one option i am considering:)

Well if its Foreign I suggest you get a dish about the size of an 88cm with dual LNB for Astra 19e & Hotbird 13e.

I got my first system like that about 4 years ago & I haven't looked back. If you need any detailed info please pm me & I'll help as best I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

Just like myself and the thought of free tv and 3pm KO's never hurt anyone;). I got mine installed about 2 months ago and ive had fun playing with it since:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

What effect will this have on League of Ireland coverage next season?

May'be there is links to good affordable steerable/quad Lnb dish,s and receivers,Cams and how to get cards for them(legally)etc etc,but i cant find them!

So my humble request is may,be a sticky to the acronyms or a link to same?

receivers that are future proof and good value,prices of steerable dish's and installation {in R.O.I}

basicly that you's don't forget that a 'new' hobby of a thousand miles has to begin with a single step!:)

cheers

Ive used this crowd many times and i have a simular setup as this great value package. http://www.wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_69_86&products_id=199

If you look through this section "Foreign Satellite" you'll find info about getting offical foreign subs. There should be offical cards and stbs thread still here that has been used to discuss this.

I have offical Cyfra+ HD (Polish), Art/Al JAzeera subs.

You are a real Pal,Pal,

:confused:

ART 1-6 closed
    JSC 1-8 open
    JSC 9-10 nothing happening yet
    ART Prime testcard
    Skowtime open

thats correct pal. there may well be an art sports 7 appear instead of prime sports, which will carry the saudi league as al jazeera were not allowed that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement