Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games others loved but you thought 'meh'.

Options
  • 25-11-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

There's a few for me:

Mass effect. Not sure why so many worship this title. I found it a buggy repetitive mess. I tried to get into twice, but each time I drifted away. Meh.

Fallout 3. I loved oblivion but in their attempts to fix the flaws I found fallout lacking in something, not sure what. Lost interest eventually. Meh.

All turn based RPG. The lost odyssey was BORING. I absolutely forced myself through the first few hours on it before I could play no more. Meh meh meh.

I'll think of a few more...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I agree with the 3 of the above, all bored me to tears and I just left them, Oblivion I put in 8-10 hours, Mass Effect about 3-4 hours and Fallout 3 less than 2 before uninstalling. I guess Rpg's just aren't for me, although I loved The Witcher and fps based rpgs like the S.t.a.l.k.e.r. games and Borderlands

Bioshock, the atmosphere was ok'ish but the clunky controls just annoyed me, could never figure out why people raved about it. Meh from me.

Gotta include the second half of the first Crysis. The first half was the most exciting and graphically beautiful game I've ever played, totally thrilling, but the second half was so much of a letdown, ruined the game for me. I did persist and finished it, but didn't enjoy it from the aliens on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Skate

Can't see how anybody could enjoy that exercise in frustration... One of the worst control schemes I have ever witnessed!

I loved all of the above suggestions though (apart from Crysis...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

World of Warcraft.. destroys peoples souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Totally agree with Bioshock.

Killzone 2, very overhyped and unresponsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Grand Theft Auto 4 - bored.to.tears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Half Life 2

*awaits Jazzy's scathing....again*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

condemned... glad I only paid a fiver for it

on an aside though.. how does someone not like half life 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Any of the Metal Gears...as boring as watching paint dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Borderlands,easily the most boring game i have played in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Half Life 2

you sicken me.

Bioshock, audiosurf, TF2, CoD4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

condemned... glad I only paid a fiver for it

on an aside though.. how does someone not like half life 2

because i just dont. i didnt get sucked into the atmosphere and found the whole game a drag and a bore from beginning to end. like a fool i invested in the episodes that followed, but wasn't impressed by them at all. i'm sorry if my taste offends you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Super Mario Galaxy. It was okay nothing special.
    Bioshock --> bad controls = bad game period.
    Dead Space --> See above, (bizzarre camera position....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Metal Gear Solid 4

I finally bought a playstation 3, got this game and boy was i disapointed. I love all the other games, but this one is much more tedious. There really is more cut scenes than gameplay. I dont know how a series can go from fantastic gameplay (in metal gear solid 1) to this... sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Valkyria Chronicles: Retarded AI, asinine dialogue, horribly complicated menu system, clogged with mundane cut scenes, clichéd plot... did I mention how rubbish the AI is? Plants vs. Zombies has better AI! They are basically moving on rails, with predetermined movements per turn, once you realise this it is pretty simple to exploit it as the AI won't adapt if you don't play the level as the game needs you to play it.

Oh, and they also managed to get characters reminiscent of the paper clip in XP that pop up to irritate you ever time you have to enter 1 of the plethora of menus... and, brilliantly, there is no way to disable them.

OVerall, I can't understand the hype behind this game. I feel as let down as when I let a bunch of Whedonites convince me to watch Dollhouse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS 4: Too many cutscenes that were all so boring and the storyline was retarded anyway and didn't make a lick of sense. However when the game let you play it which really wasn't very often at all it wasn't even that great a game. I can't see how the series went from MGS3 which was amazing and did everything right to this absolute mess of a game.

Final Fantasy VII: Don't get me wrong, FFVII is an excellent game. However it really should be no where near the top of best game ever lists. It's far from the best game ever. It's not the best JRPG ever. It isn't even the best in the FF series. People were blown away by the visuals and what seemed to be great storytelling at the time but really wasn't. I was one of those as well but have since realised I was wrong about it. The game has a lot of problems that can't be ignored and there's lots of better but lesser known games in the genre.

The Darkness: Don't see were the good reviews were coming from, this game is a mess. The storyline isn't that good, the AI is laughably bad and it's just not fun running around shooting out lightbulbs.

Goldeneye: While this game was revolutionary when it came out but has aged really badly since it came out 10 years ago. It's an unplayable mess now but some people just can't remove the rose tinted specs.

Halo 2 and 3: Halo on the original xbox was a great game for it's time and did introduce a lot of new mechanics to the genre. Halo 2 however is a complete and utter mess. Graphically it pushes the xbox like no other game. However it pushes it a bit too far and the framerate is terrible. The storyline has gone from simple but good sci-fi to absolute nonsense. Also almost every level has the flood making the single player game an abomination. Multiplayer is very basic as well to anyone that played PC games.

Halo 3 was basically Halo 2 with better graphics and thankfully a lot less flood. It's a decent game but nothing special and brought not nothing new to the table which is why I don't understand people talking about how original it is. Forge is a poor excuse for a level designer.

Donkey Kong Country: More rose tinted glasses here. DKC looked great when it comes out but the bad CGI looks grainy and terrible now. Also it's a slightly better than average platformer and kind of dull. Compared to the best 2D platformers at the time DKC isn't great.

Star Wars KOTOR: While I can see how people liked this it's a case of bioware RPGs not being for me. It bored me to tears with the amount of inane dialogue.

Legend of Dragoon: If you like this game you are an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Mass effect: Got it on recommendation from this forum, put 20 hours in and wasn't mad on it. Combat is tricky at best, too much time spent traveling and story line that bores me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Counter strike. Jesus I was bored trying to get into that game. And I hate custom game types with everybody only having knives. How gay.

Sega Rally. Always thought it was the worst rally game. But so many think it's the best one for some strange reason.

Little big planet. I pick it up now and again to try get into it. But never played it for more than an hour in the four months I've owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS 4: Too many cutscenes that were all so boring and the storyline was retarded anyway and didn't make a lick of sense. However when the game let you play it which really wasn't very often at all it wasn't even that great a game. I can't see how the series went from MGS3 which was amazing and did everything right to this absolute mess of a game.

Yeah I found those cut scenes unbelievable. What a never-ending pile of ****. I ventured onto the MGS forums after completing the game to voice my rage, didn't see many with the same opinion so I decided against that.
    And the loading........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yeah I found those cut scenes unbelievable. What a never-ending pile of ****. I ventured onto the MGS forums after completing the game to voice my rage, didn't see many with the same opinion so I decided against that.
    And the loading........

iirc, I ran through it twice - second time skipping all the cutscenes, and I completed it 16 hours quicker :confused:

Wossack wrote: »
    iirc, I ran through it twice - second time skipping all the cutscenes, and I completed it 16 hours quicker :confused:

completed it in an hour then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quake: I never really took to that game & found the necessity for razor-sharp twitch reactions so off putting. It was too easy to find yourself out-classed by some antisocial 12 year old bunny hopping about the place, I couldn't play the game for more than an hour or so before giving up.

Ditto Counterstrike. Most games for me consisted of walking around a corner only to get killed in one shot by a sniper & sit out the rest of the round. Borrrrring.

Fallout 3: It tidied up some of the gameplay mechanics of Oblivion, but Fallout 3 I found to be drab, dull & too short. I know it's an apocalyptic wasteland, but compared with Oblivion the experience was vastly reduced (even the map was 1/5 the size of Oblivions) & totally lacking in variation. The Point Lookout add-on solved some of that, but not enough to make me go back any time soon.

CoD4: Multiplayer: Ok, there's a trend here with the hate towards twitch-based FPS games, but I genuinely cannot "get" COD4 Multi. You have the instantaneous kill frustration of Counterstrike, the bland & (imo) imbalanced maps that didn't suit some of the game modes, the grenade spamming, the "perks" like martyrdom, the (generally) very immature and douchebag'y players, I just don't enjoy the Multiplayer at all. Single Player was a blast though

Left 4 Dead: A Limited but fun premise, but not enough meat in the game to warrant a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Has to be Bioshock.

Maybe because i love Fallout and played that to death before finally seeing what all the fuss was about with Bioshock, and just found it to be too copycatish of Fallout...regardless of which came out first.

Still haven't completed it, cant be bothered killing little girls or big 30's scuba diver things with drill arms.

Also Gears Of War 1 & 2...i mean they're good but there not as good as everyone makes them sound. its cover, shoot, maybe the odd chainsaw kill....repeat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

koHd wrote: »
    Sega Rally. Always thought it was the worst rally game. But so many think it's the best one for some strange reason.

It's an arcade racer, not a rally simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Half Life 2

I thought I was the only one *sob*

:P

I thought it was a grand game, but I've played better.

I never really understood the hype around the Halo series. I kind of understand that since I'm mainly a PC gamer, I've seen loads of FPS's done a hell of a lot better, but consoles haven't had as many, but there's an almost cult like following for it that I find bizarre.

And MGS4 was such a pile of crap. The main problem is that the creator fancies himself a film director and wanted to make some profound masterpiece. You've got to admire his chutzpah, but his talents definitely lie elsewhere. And the fanboyism that surrounds it is insane. Halo fans are simply dedicated. I wrote a review of MSG4 that outlined all of it's shortcomings (ie everything about it) and I got a load of death threats because of it. They're just mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Valkyria Chronicles: anime = sh!te.

Black no skipping videos and fairly **** game imo

red alert 3 complete ****e,....perfer original anyday

you dont tebd to remember bad games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

It's an arcade racer, not a rally simulator.

Yes. But it's an arcade rally game. And when on a console, people group with other console rally games.

But, I also enjoy arcade games. But Sega Rally really bores the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mousey- wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles: anime = sh!te.

A very well rounded opinion there...
    Broaden your horizons a bit and you might actually find yourself enjoying anime.

Having said that, I didn't think much of the demo at all, not really my cuppa...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

The FIFA games.... talk about polishing a turd ;)

koHd wrote: »
    Yes. But it's an arcade rally game. And when on a console, people group with other console rally games.

But, I also enjoy arcade games. But Sega Rally really bores the crap out of me.

You talking about the latest one or the old arcade one? There's no faulting the old arcade/saturn game, it's genius.

I can see how people don't like the latest one. It really shouldn't be grouped in with other console rally games, it isn't trying to be Colin McRae and if thats what you are looking for you will be disappointed. It's an arcade game with silly but fun driving physics. I enjoyed it but i don't think it's as good as some of the reviews made it out to be.

Actually I hated Black as well. It just felt like a painfully average shooter. Can't understand the hype behind it. It did nothing special and didn't do anything particularly well. It was just dull and over well before the 4 hour mark. Waste of money imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

Legend of Dragoon: If you like this game you are an idiot.

Boo hiss!

*Sigh*

Why can't you see it's an under appreciated gem!

Advertisement