Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games others loved but you thought 'meh'.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

scange01 wrote: »
    Why can't you see it's an under appreciated gem!

Because it's shit. It's a shameless cash in on the FFVII hype with Sony trying to jump on the money train and missing the point. The storyline is garbage and uninteresting with one of the worst localisation jobs ever. The battle system is atrocious. Battles take forever and every time you attack you have to play parappa the rapper with the fun removed. Other than the backgrounds it's also a terrible looking game.

Why can't people see that it's absolute scutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Goldeneye: While this game was revolutionary when it came out but has aged really badly since it came out 10 years ago. It's an unplayable mess now but some people just can't remove the rose tinted specs.

I cannot agree with Goldeneye in the context of this thread

You are dead right it has aged badly but the thread is not called "Games that have aged badly"

At the time this game was amazing on a console. Fair enough if you didn't like it at the time then it suits this thread, but if you liked it at the time and so did your friends then it doesn't really fit here imho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People still think it's one of the best FPS games of all time when it really isn't. I'd take something like Doom or shadow Warrior over it now because they are at least still fun in this day and age. People still think it's great but it isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Gran Turisimo - so so boring

Metal Gear Solid - always thought it was clunky and just irritating to play. the PS pad doesnt help its case either. liked the story though, even though yer man Hideo Kojima is a mentalist.

Donkey Kong Country - what retr0 said

Call of Duty genre - boring and frustrating multiplayer. far too slow and basically the poor mans CS... and that must make you a homeless bum :pac:
    pixelburp wrote:
    Quake: I never really took to that game & found the necessity for razor-sharp twitch reactions so off putting. It was too easy to find yourself out-classed by some antisocial 12 year old bunny hopping about the place, I couldn't play the game for more than an hour or so before giving up.

dont get ya here. they are anti-social because they are good? it is possible that they copped to how the game works faster then you. fact is, as far as depth and game mechanics go and skill curve too - there is no other shooter out there that even comes close :) a game isnt bad because you are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

All football games (Its still the same game 10 times over ffs)
    Bioshock I thought it was very boring and pointless
    The Forza franchise boring as hell even with a steering wheel its nowhere near driving Grid is way better
    PGR same as forza
    Burnout Paradise destroyed the Burnout games for me found it no fun what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Evolute wrote: »
    Burnout Paradise destroyed the Burnout games for me found it no fun what so ever.

totally. No offline multilayer? they had a great formula, all they had to do was transport it to the next gen, instead they gave us a need for speed clone :(

wow, im driving around a city.... great :rolleyes:

Jazzy wrote: »
    Gran Turisimo - so so boring

Agreed. It's Pokemon with cars but without the fun. Give me something fun like F-zero over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tman wrote: »
    Having said that, I didn't think much of the demo at all, not really my cuppa...

Despite what you'll be told, it doesn't get better. It actually gets worse.

I'd have to agree with Mousey-, it takes everything that is clichéd and cookie cut from pop anime and balls them up into one sickening package. It's the kids from Beyblades when they hit puberty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MGS series - played the second one on xbox I think but did nothing for me.
    SF/tekken etc - meh
    Fallout 3 I'm struggling to like as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Im shocked at ppl not liking mass effect - not because its "like the best game evar" but the reaons people are giving for it being bad are the exact things that kept me playing - its one of the first games where I didnt skip my way through all the dialogue ala "yeyeye who do i have to kill?" really got wrapped up in the storyline like a good book - even tho the combat system was a bit pap I played it through.

for me the games that I thought were meh are:
    Any champ manager/football manager: - its like fantasy premier league but it costs money + I spend the whole day playing with spreadsheets in work why would I want to come home and do it again zzzz - people in school used to always waffle about where they took their teams or what players they got - its just a load of bloody numbers!

Call of Duty 2: constantly respawning enemies in SP + no sprint + no pb at launch = absolute agony, I bought a new PC to play this game only for it to be a dumbed down version of CoD1 with sluggish movement, hitblips and regenerating health.

Halo: Pretty much the most uninspired and boring FPS i have ever played - the level following that f***in robot around put me to sleep - if it werent for that soundtrack + fun pistol to use I would have never gotten thru it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dont get ya here. they are anti-social because they are good? it is possible that they copped to how the game works faster then you. fact is, as far as depth and game mechanics go and skill curve too - there is no other shooter out there that even comes close :) a game isnt bad because you are

Well it's not a hard game to figure out how it "works" and can hold my own with anyone I have played, so it's not a question of throwing a huff cos I can't win every game; I have just found the game immensely limited & boring after an hour or so's play. Playing Quake Live now is an odd feeling because it just emphasised how shallow the game feels. To be fair to it, its matchmaking service makes it easier to avoid the obsessive types.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Despite what you'll be told, it doesn't get better. It actually gets worse.

I'd have to agree with Mousey-, it takes everything that is clichéd and cookie cut from pop anime and balls them up into one sickening package. It's the kids from Beyblades when they hit puberty.

This man liked Sonic Unleashed and Legendary. :P

While I see it probably isn't some peoples cup of tea I loved every second of it. If you are put off by games like fire emblem, shining force or can't stomach anime then you won't like it. Otherwise it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The Project Gotham Racing games for me.
    Seem to be quite popular but I cant see
    the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

all the Halos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Assassins Creed: Very very repetitive and bored me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Oblivion: Worst leveling system in a game. Ever. Look at me, I have to jump every where so I can level. I'm also repeatedly casting a spell to level even faster. And it's ugly too.

Gears of War: (or any game that makes a big deal out of a "cover system"): This really pisses me off. In any normal fps, you go find a rock or a barrel or something and you crouch behind it and you are in cover. In Gears of War you have to glue yourself to the wall to protect yourself from incoming fire? Wtf? This is such a step backwards and yet I've heard people complaining about games not having cover systems.
    Also the multiplayer is dire. Counter-strike style dead until the end of the round in a deathmatch game? Ok...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it's not a hard game to figure out how it "works"

so no then, you don't actually know what you are talking about. it is in fact one of the hardest games on the planet to figure out how it 'works'. id put quake and starcraft on similar levels for that. and to call quake limited is like saying natalie portman is unattractive. life is unbelievably simple, there is right and there is wrong.. opinions are just volume

This man liked Sonic Unleashed and Legendary. :P

Hey I never said I liked Legendary, I just played it through to completion ;), and Sonic: Unleashed is a game that's reputation largely rests on the shoulders of people who've never played it nor completed it. I've yet to find someone who didn't find that ending amazing. I still come back to it even now to try and beat my time trial scores in the day stages. It also has one of the best soundtracks in a game.... I digress

If we are going to take into account a persons taste here when listening to what they think of games, there is an image floating around that, imo, is a lot worse than admitting to liking Legendary :pac:

Also, my reasons for disliking Valkyria Chronicles are more than just to do with the story or type of game (I loved advance wars). Above all else the AI is simply atrocious. At one point I literally just ran 1 scout around the perimeter of the map and captured their flag by the second turn. The AI could see what I was doing, but because they where programmed to move on rails, they completely ignored the scout, wasted their turn moving a few units forward (actually away from him and out of firing range), and allowed me to just walk into their camp, undefended, and end the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

so no then, you don't actually know what you are talking about. [...]

the thread is called "Games others loved but you thought 'meh'" you know, I'm allowed not to fall at the feet of a game supposedly loved by all :) I've spent enough time in LANs playing the thing to come away with a great big "meh" & yeah, I find it repetitive and limited. It doesn't whet my whistle, sorry that disturbs you.

And as for Natalie Portman? I'm no big fan of her either, but then beauty, like opinions, is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

life is unbelievably simple, there is right and there is wrong.. opinions are just volume

Dude this thread is "Games others loved but you thought 'meh'", he's entitled to not like a certain game and form his own opinion on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

- No More Heroes (I wanted to like it but couldn't bring myself to play it beyond defeating the first boss).

- Fallout 3 (*Change outfit* lockpick door, *change outfit* defeat enemies, *change outfit* hack a terminal, *change outfit* buy/sell some items, *change outfit* more enemies, *change outfit* negotiate with NPC, *change outfit* repair trousers).

- Metal Gear Solid
    series.

If we are going to take into account a persons taste here when listening to what they think of games, there is an image floating around that, imo, is a lot worse than admitting to liking Legendary :pac:

Touche :)
    Also, my reasons for disliking Valkyria Chronicles are more than just to do with the story or type of game (I loved advance wars). Above all else the AI is simply atrocious. At one point I literally just ran 1 scout around the perimeter of the map and captured their flag by the second turn. The AI could see what I was doing, but because they where programmed to move on rails, they completely ignored the scout, wasted their turn moving a few units forward (actually away from him and out of firing range), and allowed me to just walk into their camp, undefended, and end the game.

You have a point. I noticed it as well but I didn't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the game. I'm probably used to Strategy RPGs that have bad AI activated with triggers since they all have it. I kind of enjoyed exploiting the AIs dumbassery though.

I'm probably used to Strategy RPGs that have bad AI activated with triggers since they all have it. I kind of enjoyed exploiting the AIs dumbassery though.

This is the thing though. Advance Wars really tested my ability to form an effective strategy. I was amazed at how difficult that game was and how quickly the AI would shut me down if I didn't use the right strategy. I felt the AI adapted to how I tried to move and countered it, like playing a PC in a game of chess. It was that kind of challenge that I was looking forward to in Valkyria Chronicles which is why I was so let down when I realised how predictable the game was. The tedium of micro managing my squad between playable areas just poured salt in the wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gears of Wars. There are lots of games which I don't like or find boring personally, but can see why other people might like them. But the mega-success of this game leaves me baffled. A plotless, comically-homoerotic tale of steroid abusers hugging mindnumbling dull grey walls with tiny peashooters for weapons.

(And the standard reply is "Oh, but it's fun in co-op", but I tried it once on XBox with a mate for 20 minutes, and we just gave up. Stuck for other games, I ended up playing with the character creator in a Tiger Woods games. I hate golf with a passion. _That's_ how boring I found GoW.)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

God of War series:, just a standard hack and slash game. Don't see the greatness at all.

Black: very average shooter, whats all the fuss over.

Infamous: what makes it a great next gen PS3 game. Very meh. Been there done that with Crackdown.

Left 4 Dead series: just don't see the appeal myself.

As for games that are getting walloped here. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed series and Fallout 3 are up there in the some of the best games I ever played list.

pixelburp wrote: »
    the thread is called "Games others loved but you thought 'meh'" you know, I'm allowed not to fall at the feet of a game supposedly loved by all :) I've spent enough time in LANs playing the thing to come away with a great big "meh" & yeah, I find it repetitive and limited. It doesn't whet my whistle, sorry that disturbs you.

And as for Natalie Portman? I'm no big fan of her either, but then beauty, like opinions, is in the eye of the beholder.

i think its more your reasoning. the whole "if you are good you must just be some anti-social nerd". that doesnt wash with me as to why you dont like a game. and if you find quake repetitive and limited then by gholly, i wonder what awful games you are playing at lans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Left 4 Dead
    A good bit of fun sure but definitely doesn't feel like a full game despite the price. Gameplay wise, there's the odd good moments but I felt the whole experience was mostly repetitive and I don't think it's the most polished looking of games either. Would only buy it if it were cheap and could never see myself getting more than a few hours out of it.

Half-Life series
    These games are fairly decent but I'm not in love with the series like some people are. Half-Life 2 felt like a chore to play at certain points, not really sure why.

Counter-Strike
    Game just isn't very easy to get into, I was a bit turned off by it at least. I just couldn't see it being worthwhile to keep playing after the 20th time I turned a corner and was knocked out for the round.

Modern Warfare 2
    The single player experience was really lacking in my opinion. Not only was it short, the story really felt like it was trying too hard and it seems like they put all the work into making multiplayer more shiny. For all the hate that Treyarch gets, I thought World at War was a lot more fun in the single/co-op department even though it lacked any decent narrative. That and it had Sgt. Reznov.

The multiplayer also feels a little lacking at times. I was never too into CoD multiplayer and rarely get past rank 20. The game feels solely focused around getting killstreaks so that the good team will steamroll. It doesn't help that instead of simply fixing the spawn placements so that you don't die instantly, they decided to give you spawn protection every 3 times you die to the horrible spawns.

Halo
    Game is very average and very overrated.

Metroid Prime
    Just couldn't get into the first. Thought Echoes and Corruption were brilliant though.

Diablo
    Bores me ****less.

Red Alert 3
    Does anybody love this? The over-the-top silliness just turns me off it and the campaigns felt a bit empty. It's probably a bit more balanced than the previous games but it doesn't do much for my nostalgia over the previous games' units. :P

Davidius wrote: »
    Metroid Prime
    Just couldn't get into the first. Thought Echoes and Corruption were brilliant though.

Weird. I thought the common consensus was that Metroid Prime was far and away the best of the series. I certainly enjoyed it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Davidius wrote: »
    Metroid Prime
    Weird. I thought the common consensus was that Metroid Prime was far and away the best of the series. I certainly enjoyed it the most.

Didn't enjoy any of the Prime series. I just got sick of switching visors to scan stuff the whole time. I felt, surely, there must have been a more elegant and streamlined way to incorporate that mechanic.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people dismissed the prime series because they thought it would be an FPS like Halo when in fact it was basically zelda in the first person right down to the z-locking.

Advertisement