Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games others loved but you thought 'meh'.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i also disliked the first prime game actually. but loved the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

i also disliked the first prime game actually. but loved the other 2.

I love the Metroid games apart from those damn boss fights which ruin them for me.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Weird. I thought the common consensus was that Metroid Prime was far and away the best of the series. I certainly enjoyed it the most.
    I know, I just didn't like the first and I'm not really sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Oblivion and Assassin's Creed.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Halo 1&2:
    Bored me senseless.

More recently, Prototype: I traded it in after a week, just didnt seem worth the effort.

There's a lot of Metal Gear hate here, I love that series although I will concede that it is a bit like Marmite in the love/hate stakes, you either get it or you dont.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats really weird. Was it because the game was a slow burner? It took ages before the action started to pick up. I still much prefer it to the other gmaes in the series. For me nothing in those games tops the moment you come across the crashed freighter underwater and first fighting with the space pirates. The other two games threw you into space pirate battles much too quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Assassins Creed - boring after the first two assassinations. Wasted opportunity by Ubisoft as crusade period was lovely.

OT question, but does the Metroid Prime Trilogy for wii have to use the wii controller or can you use the classic/gamecube controller intead? I saw it for €40 in gamestop today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

morrowind: I've tried this game maybe 3 times. I keep thinking I should like it. But I find it boring when I give it a try. I like those sorts of games. I liked oblivion a lot. I liked Might & Magic 9 a lot, which gets slammed. Fallout 3 was brilliant.

bioshock: On normal, it gets far too easy pretty quickly if you level sensibly. On hard, it's too hard at the start.

x2: boring

civilization 4: Not as good as civilization 3. Not nearly as good as any total war game I've played. Seems pointless.

company of heroes: I only tried this against the computer. The couple of levels I played were stalemates for ages, which was boring, and the requirement to manage stuff all over the map in real time was more of a headache for me than it was fun.

stalker: Played it for an hour and put it down. First impression of it is that it's ok, but a bit boring. Might go back to it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

pwd wrote: »
    morrowind: I've tried this game maybe 3 times. I keep thinking I should like it. But I find it boring when I give it a try. I like those sorts of games. I liked oblivion a lot. I liked Might & Magic 9 a lot, which gets slammed. Fallout 3 was brilliant.
    Bit of a contradiction here since they are both pretty much the same game with all the same flaws.
    pwd wrote: »
    company of heroes: I only tried this against the computer. The couple of levels I played were stalemates for ages, which was boring, and the requirement to manage stuff all over the map in real time was more of a headache for me than it was fun.
    And you expected what exactly from a real time strategy game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Mostly war games like CoD. I can never get into them. Also I dislike games where I have to lead an entire group of people in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Seifer wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction here since they are both pretty much the same game with all the same flaws.

And you expected what exactly from a real time strategy game?
    Not a contradiction. I found Morrowind very slow to start. Oblivion gets your interest right away.

Regarding COH, I find that aspect of RTS games in general offputting to an extent. I much prefer the system in total war games, where the logistical side is abstracted from the battle, and is turn based. The combat itself is rts.
    I liked other rts games, such as starcraft and warcraft 3. They have the same requirement to manage resources etc, but you could choose the protoss/night elves, which reduced this aspect of the play I think. Also, the battles tended to move along quicker when I played them. Also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

saw the thread title and immediatly thought, retro will bring up mgs4
    MGS 4: Too many cutscenes that were all so boring and the storyline was retarded anyway and didn't make a lick of sense. However when the game let you play it which really wasn't very often at all it wasn't even that great a game. I can't see how the series went from MGS3 which was amazing and did everything right to this absolute mess of a game.

and I was right

And I agree MGS4 was ****e in comparison to the rest of the series and is a subpar game overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Bioshock: Remember when it was touted as a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2? I spent the entire game comparing it to SS2 and, consequently, hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VII: Don't get me wrong, FFVII is an excellent game. However it really should be no where near the top of best game ever lists. It's far from the best game ever. It's not the best JRPG ever. It isn't even the best in the FF series.
    #

If you put this in your signature you save yourself about a quarter of your total boards.ie posts count!

I completed VC a while ago but I have to say that the 'leg it to the target' with a scout strategy' does exist but it wasn't apparent to me during my first playthrough. It makes sense though - I mean how else are you suppossed to get the S/A ranks?

Did you get to the Tank mission? That was pretty hard the first two times I played it.

Little worried about all the Bioshock hate becasue i am looking forward to playing it.

Also, I must add my name to a list of people who loved Fallout 3 (GOTY edition over xmas to play through again for me) but found/finds Oblivion very difficult to get into - have barely touched the story - just been doing Assassin missions nonstop.

Started Jean D'arc today, I think the PSP will get alot more love over the next few weeks because I dislocated my knee cap last night - needless to say I am enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Davidius wrote: »
    Red Alert 3
    Does anybody love this? The over-the-top silliness just turns me off it and the campaigns felt a bit empty. It's probably a bit more balanced than the previous games but it doesn't do much for my nostalgia over the previous games' units. :P

I haven't played it in some time & no idea where the balance is at the moment, but RA3 multiplayer is where the meat is for this game. In terms of RTS games, it's actually one of the better balanced & more polished out there. There seemed to be some decent community & developer support. The single player campaign is utter balls & a totally wasted opportunity, but the multiplayer's decent

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't played it in some time & no idea where the balance is at the moment, but RA3 multiplayer is where the meat is for this game. In terms of RTS games, it's actually one of the better balanced & more polished out there. There seemed to be some decent community & developer support. The single player campaign is utter balls & a totally wasted opportunity, but the multiplayer's decent

I am the same, first time I never finished one of the campaigns in a C&C. Found the game boring as hell SP-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Modern Warfare 2:

Singleplayer:

Haven't finished the singleplayer yet but have all of Act I and II done and watched my brother finish it on his profile and it just doesnt click for me like the first Modern Warfare did. In the first one i finished it in a day and a bit and with 2 i havent finished it yet in 2 and a bit weeks.

Multiplayer:

The multiplayer again just doesnt do it for me like the first one did. I mean yes it can be fun when playing with friends but then when they go off i just swap the game because i get so bored. E.g Shoot, kill, die, spawnkill, die, spawnkill, die, enemy AC130 in the air, Game over. :confused:

Spec-Ops:

Spec Ops is what does this game for me. I have really good fun with it when playing it with my friends or brother and on the harder difficulties it just gets better as the enemy's are alot smarter and use differing tactics on you(from what I've seen).

So to sum up Modern Warfare 2: MEH!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

red alert 3's campaign was useless, it had stupid difficulty spikes uninteresting missions and boring cutscenes.

Its multiplayer is fantastic though. very diverse sides with probaby the best micromanagment/macromanagment classic rts gameplay this side of starcraft. And considering every other rts is moving away from this formula it will probably be one of the last (the other being starcraft 2)

Haven't played much of multiplayer. I held off on it after finding a bunch of King Onis rampaging my base by the time I was getting my first few units built. Decided I'd complete the campaign before I'd venture online again but the campaign turned me off. I'll have to look into it over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Quake is definately one of those games that are overly meh to me. Speaking purely on the multiplayer aspect, I never enjoyed the whole run, jump, rocket, jump again, rocket etc etc .

Another one is the halo multiplayer, just never grabbed me. It just feels messy.

Counter strike also, the idea always appealed to me, and i'd often go back and play it but I always feel it was an hour or two wasted.

Oh now that I think of it, the whole "nintendo brigade" with the exception of Zelda never did it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Halo series.

COD

Guitar hero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

oblivion played it for a while then got bored might it again.

and the loading took ages (xbox 360)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Davidius wrote: »
    Metroid Prime
    Just couldn't get into the first. Thought Echoes and Corruption were brilliant though.

Did you only play it recently, or on release?
    MP was far and away my favourite of the series, but I wasn't massively blown away by it on my first playthrough... Playing through it a second time, when you know where you're going and aren't as phased by the combat is a lot more enjoyable, and the third, fourth and fifth playthroughs just get even more pleasurable... Trying to complete it with 100% items in the quickest time possible is a great test of memory and skill.
    MP2 and 3 were both good games, but MP1 towers above them imo. They broke the feeling of isolation with the sequels, which is what the Metroid series is all about (MP2 wasn't as bad as 3 in that respect)
    Retr0 also hit the nail on the head when he said they throw the space pirates into the mix too early in the sequels.

Think I might plug my Wii in for the first time in 2 years when I get home today actually:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'll second Metroid Prime. After the 10/10 review that GamesTM gave it I went out and bought a Game Cube straight away. Was utterly disappointed in it (althought I did play it until the bitter end). The only thing that did it for me in the game was the outstanding soundtrack.

Little Big Planet. Nothing more than a demo as far as I'm concerned.

MGS Twin Snakes. Never played the original, only the remake on the Game Cube. Probably the most boring game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bioshock - The setting and gradual exposition of the story are cool but the meat of the game is a pretty dull and by the numbers FPS.

tman wrote: »
    Did you only play it recently, or on release?
    MP was far and away my favourite of the series, but I wasn't massively blown away by it on my first playthrough... Playing through it a second time, when you know where you're going and aren't as phased by the combat is a lot more enjoyable, and the third, fourth and fifth playthroughs just get even more pleasurable... Trying to complete it with 100% items in the quickest time possible is a great test of memory and skill.
    MP2 and 3 were both good games, but MP1 towers above them imo. They broke the feeling of isolation with the sequels, which is what the Metroid series is all about (MP2 wasn't as bad as 3 in that respect)
    Retr0 also hit the nail on the head when he said they throw the space pirates into the mix too early in the sequels.
    I got it in '03/'04 at a discount. Seemed like a worthwhile oppurtunity. The reason I probably didn't like it as much is because I wasn't really paying attention to anything. I often found myself getting lost because I had no idea what I was even doing. Space pirate battles were always my favourite bit, maybe just because there's something funny about the way they die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

completely forgot about the most over rated game since Halo - Guitar Hero
    good jesus. nothing makes me cry more when someone at a party somewhere goes "HEY GUYS! LETS PLAY GUITAR HERO YEAH!" its like, can't we just ya know.. talk and leave all the music playing to the professionals? YOU. ARE. FAGS!
    god i love south park. they always agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Probably complete sacrilege to say it but, Deus Ex. I got it cheap in 2001 when I got my first home pc and I never got into it. I think I was running it on a P4 1.8ghz with the ropiest agp graphics card ever. Got tonnes of issues with the game which I eventually sorted out. That possibly soured the whole experience. But I just didnt like it. I dont suffer from ADD or anything, I really like story driven, plot heavy games, but the cutscenes seemed to be all inane psychobabble with bad voice acting.

I got Invisible War 2 years later and just though, meh again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Jazzy wrote: »
    completely forgot about the most over rated game since Halo - Guitar Hero
    good jesus. nothing makes me cry more when someone at a party somewhere goes "HEY GUYS! LETS PLAY GUITAR HERO YEAH!" its like, can't we just ya know.. talk and leave all the music playing to the professionals? YOU. ARE. FAGS!
    god i love south park. they always agree with me

haha

Man guitar here is so dam boring and overated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

any of the Zelda games. Bored me to tears.

Advertisement