Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games others loved but you thought 'meh'.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pvt.joker wrote: »
    any of the Zelda games. Bored me to tears.

GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

You know, I used to think exactly the same thing; could never get into the game.s I think the problem was they're so open-ended, and if you're new the game mechanics of the series - and you don't play the game often - it's easy to get lost and not have a clue what you're meant to do next.

The first one I really got into, only recently, was "Phantom Hourglass". I recommend that as it's a big simpler than most other Zelda games but give you a good overview of ideas common to the whole series.

(And, honestly, if you get stuck, check a walkthough. My macho side of me wouldn't let me do that, so I would end up wandering around lost for ages until I got bored and put the game aside. With Phantom Hourglass, I only had to check a walkthrough once - most of the puzzles are fairly logical.)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Metal Gear Solid. Any of them. Could never get into them.

Gran Tourismo is another. It's a very good simulation, but the likes of Codemaster's TOCA Touring Car racing is just so much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bioshock - ok game but nothing special.

GTA4 - uninteresting characters and boring gameplay and a horrid PC conversion. One of the very few games iv not finished.

Farcry 2 - Great graphics but dull gameplay and worst ending to any FPS ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I never understand why people seem to either adore MGS or be the polar opposite and hate it to the core.

One of the best games I've ever played, the entire series is groundbreaking.

Gran Turismo is a great game but it gets boring soon unless you have a proper steering wheel setup, then its great fun. Too realistic though but no damage modelling put me off most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

One of the best games I've ever played, the entire series is groundbreaking.

except 4

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    GTFO!
    What he said.

Also, Bioshock and Halo. Really do not see the appeal of these games. Very boring and average.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

Call of Duty MW/MW2. So overrated i love FPS game. Bf2, ArmA2, Quake Wars: Enemy territory are fantastic games. Bit Call of duty was so boring, I could never get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have ordered a rake of games over the past few days

(Bioshock, Dead Space, Persona 3: FES and Fallout 3: GOTY edition - all bargain prices)

Not happy to see some of them grace this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

noodler wrote: »

Not happy to see some of them grace this thread.

different strokes for different folks tbh.

Though Bioshock on PS3 has weird framerate or resolution. I couldn't play it for long without feeling sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Final Fantasy series.

Blurg

Doodee wrote: »
    Final Fantasy series.

Blurg

You make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭briany

Needs to be Halo for me. I got an Xbox along with Halo in Christmas of 2002 and I popped it in and was pretty underwhelmed by it. Don't get me wrong, it was a well put together game and I was well fairly awed by the title screen with the cool gregorian chanting but the enemies in that game were some of the most unscary and childish looking things I've ever seen and the game was far too easy so I just didn't see why a big deal was made over it. I'd played and finished Call of Duty:Frontline a month beforehand and that had me on the edge of my seat as I recall, mainly because it was the first FPS I'd played properly, a while before I became jaded with the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Recently...Uncharted 2, was a nice game but not the be all and end all every games website is proclaiming it as, it has a frightful amount of problems that people gloss over "because its funny/well written/you go pew pew at guys/it looks pretty".

As for the MGS series, i personnaly love them but I can see how people would hate them. As games (or the parts you play) they are very basic and infuriating, have a few novel touches but still quite bad. Plus its about 1 part playing to 3 parts watching cutscenes so that could grate easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    As for the MGS series, i personnaly love them but I can see how people would hate them. As games (or the parts you play) they are very basic and infuriating, have a few novel touches but still quite bad. Plus its about 1 part playing to 3 parts watching cutscenes so that could grate easily.

I played a bit of the series back in my PS1 days, but no more. Is it true the latest one has a 1 hour cutscene? :eek:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Actually, I thought Link to the Past was rubbish. Mind you, that was after I'd played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and nothing could live up to them. Still, I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Has nobody mentioned Far Cry 2 yet?

That pretty much sucked.

Along with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Snoozing

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST

Fallout 3 bored me to tears but I'm not a big RPG fan so I can't be too harsh on it.

GTA 4: Meet your buddy for a pint and a game of darts, take your girlfriend out in an hour. Too much like real life for me.

And the big daddy. Modern Warfare 2. Having loved COD4 so much, it annoys me when I think of what they did with MW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

smooch71 wrote: »
    Having loved COD4 so much, it annoys me when I think of what they did with MW2.

Have you tried it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Have you tried it?

Yes he has. And I have too. Its good, but disappointing compared to COD4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Have you tried it?

Of course I have.

I wouldn't give an opinion on a game I hadn't played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I would say FarCry 2, but I don't think anyone thought it was great.

GTA (except 1 and 2) have bought 3 and SA and couldn't finish them. They lack the sheer fun of the first 2, and yeah well meh

STALKER - had great potential, and have played it a few times. But it just doesn't feel right

ArmA2 - God what a terrible game to play. The controls are crap, and it is buggy as hell

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Loved the first one, but again there is something just not quite right with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Any GTA game after 3. Also deadspace on the pc, worst controls ever gave up after half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I would say FarCry 2, but I don't think anyone thought it was great.

GTA (except 1 and 2) have bought 3 and SA and couldn't finish them. They lack the sheer fun of the first 2, and yeah well meh

STALKER - had great potential, and have played it a few times. But it just doesn't feel right

ArmA2 - God what a terrible game to play. The controls are crap, and it is buggy as hell

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Loved the first one, but again there is something just not quite right with this one

God Id forgotten about Arma2 being so damm bad my brain hid the memory's to protect my sanity :( Awful game with so many bugs the single player game is impossible to complete.

Arma 2 I consider to be the worst game ever released on any format.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Venom wrote: »
    God Id forgotten about Arma2 being so damm bad my brain hid the memory's to protect my sanity :( Awful game with so many bugs the single player game is impossible to complete.

Thats a bit harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

oceanclub wrote: »
    Is it true the latest one has a 1 hour cutscene? :eek:

It has multiple laboured and verbose cutscenes... Kojima even decided it would be a good idea to start
    the credits rolling, then cut right into another cutscene, it was the encore that
    nobody asked for nor wanted.

Funnily enough the game really picks up in quality after an extremely boring and drawn out cutscene in the middle of the game where the entire MGS series is reviewed for the player. I know quite a few friends who have never actually made it past this point and experienced the gameplay after it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the game went from average to arse after the halfway point. Those cutscenes were atrocious though.

Also anyone calling ArmA 2 or any other game the worse game ever released needs to experience Dark Castle on the megadrive.

Plenty of good in it of course.

Loads there for the fanboys of the series.

Amazing graphics, the stealth play has been a little broken in the series as a whole since the introduction of the dart gun to be completely honest. 4 is best played in hard, it makes firefights pretty much suicide.

Some amazing locales, gadgets and enemies.

Plot had a few interesting reveals for me that I didn't see coming but I was disappointed with the final boss fight and thought they bottled the ending.

MGO is pretty amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Venom wrote: »

Nice try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

noodler wrote: »
    Plenty of good in it of course.

Doesn't compensate for the boring crapness of the majority of it.

I loved MGS like a family pet, but never thought much of the sequels. 4 was sadly the one which I wasted most of my time on... I'll definitely give 3 another go one of these days.

+1 for the FF hating... FFX was a gigantic pile of ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought the game went from average to arse after the halfway point. Those cutscenes were atrocious though.

The end of Act 3 and all of Act 4 where my favourite parts in the game, admittedly it nose dived in Act 5.

Advertisement