Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games others loved but you thought 'meh'.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I can remember from the end of Act 3 was an awful on the rails section followed by a poor excuse for a boss fight. Act 4 for me was terrible.
    Removing the human enemies for far less interesting robots spoiled the whole game for me. You can have fun with the human gaurds, with the robots all options were limited and it just got frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm sorry the last lact where
    its a room full of cargo containers and a hall then a boss then a quicktime event and another boss and nothing else but cutscene after cutscene, most anticlimatic final act ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't even call the last fight a boss. It was awful especially considering the finale fights we got in the last game. Also the other boss in the final act wsa terrible considering it was a homage to one of the best boss fights ever. Still it did have the prettiest version of track and field ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Venom wrote: »
    God Id forgotten about Arma2 being so damm bad my brain hid the memory's to protect my sanity :( Awful game with so many bugs the single player game is impossible to complete.

Arma 2 I consider to be the worst game ever released on any format.

Many of us here completely disagree with You there. Arma 2 is very playable now and has a very active modding community with new custom missions and maps appearing everyday. We've even got our own Boards.ie server. Nobody plays the single player game, online coop is where its at. Its the most engrossing game I've ever played but i can completely understand its not for some people, it takes weeks if not months to learn the stuff in it. If You were looking for a first person shooter, its definitely not one, is nothing like one, its a milsim, its slow and tactical and needs a gang working together with voice. It also tries to be realistic, as in a single headshot kills, body shots slow You down and affect Your aim.

Don't give up on it without at least trying the mp custom missions with us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Many of us here completely disagree with You there. Arma 2 is very playable now and has a very active modding community with new custom missions and maps appearing everyday. We've even got our own Boards.ie server. Nobody plays the single player game, online coop is where its at. Its the most engrossing game I've ever played but i can completely understand its not for some people, it takes weeks if not months to learn the stuff in it. If You were looking for a first person shooter, its definitely not one, is nothing like one, its a milsim, its slow and tactical and needs a gang working together with voice. It also tries to be realistic, as in a single headshot kills, body shots slow You down and affect Your aim.

Lol, was waiting for it.
    I think the fact there are people that disagree with him is the point of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Seifer wrote: »
    Lol, was waiting for it.
    I think the fact there are people that disagree with him is the point of the thread.

I'm just saying don't give up on it till he's at least tried the mp :D The game is completely playable now not like he said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Tried it MP but wasnt my cup of tea so to speak. As a single player game it really is a buggy peice of crap tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

Assassin's Creed
    Far Cry 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Assassin's Creed
    Far Cry 2

Assassin's Creed yep.

Everyone though Far Cry 2 was crap anyway so doesn't really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Halo i could never see the attraction, sure it looked nice but it was just a generic FPS, added nothing really new. I'd been playing FPS's on the PC since wolfenstein 3-D, maybe that biased me.

Batman Arkham asylum, liked it did'nt love it, finished it and traded it in straight away. I can't understand some calls for game of the year, i think the fact that it was batman brings all the hype. It was some unknown new character i don't think it would've recieved all the credit it got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

quarryman wrote: »
    Everyone though Far Cry 2 was crap anyway so doesn't really count.

Maybe I should start a new thread "Games you loved but others thought 'meh'", because I loved Far Cry 2, probably the only person here that did.

On Topic, Fallout 3, what a huge let down...I loved Oblivion, But Fallout didn't do it for me at all.

Stalker...was dying for this to come out on the PC back in the day, and when it did, it looked crap and played worse in my opinion.

I aint going to play Borderlands, because any post apocalyptic game I play, I seem to hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Definitely MW2, Halo and GTA 4. I really really wanted Bioshock to be SS2 but the setting, weapons and stupid Plasmids really annoyed me. I'm currently playing through Link to the Past and it's ok but I prefer Link's Awakening tbh.
    Also I kinda enjoyed Far Cry 2 except for the whole collect the diamonds thing. Certainly better than Far Cry with the stupid monsters (2nd half of Crysis too).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well Far Cry 2 was very obviously poor, I think most of us would be in agreement on that one. Repetitive missions, AI respawning to beat the band- ridiculously so in fact, it hurts my head to imagine how that one got past Ubisoft's quality control. Before I got the game I imagined, based on information gleaned from previews that I would be sneaking up on enemy camps in the dead of night, coming in using darkness as my cover and wreaking havoc before sneaking away, leaving the place in chaos. Two things wrong with that at least: 1. The night time isn't very dark in the game as the moon is almost always out like a bloody great spotlight. 2. The enemies in the game have a sixth sense about when you are near and your location, making any sneaking up on them next to IMPOSSIBLE.:mad: All in all it does not deserve to mentioned in the same breath as the first game which had a fantastic stealth mechanic, monsters or no monsters.

Still many big game info outlets including IGN and Gamespot gave the game very favourable reviews. What the hell were those people seeing that no one else was?!

briany wrote: »
    Still many big game info outlets including IGN and Gamespot gave the game very favourable reviews. What the hell were those people seeing that no one else was?!

Dollar%20Sign%203.jpg

Dollar%20Sign%203.jpg

Gamesites are jke at the moment, most are more interested in not pissing of sony\MS\EA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hmm, personally I really enjoyed Far Cry 2 and got many hours out of it, but yes, it did get a bit too repetitive. Still, the combat was fantastic, and the editor a joy to use (I must finish off a multiplayer map I started).

P.

Well Far Cry 2 was very obviously poor, I think most of us would be in agreement on that one. Repetitive missions, AI respawning to beat the band- ridiculously so in fact, it hurts my head to imagine how that one got past Ubisoft's quality control. Before I got the game I imagined, based on information gleaned from previews that I would be sneaking up on enemy camps in the dead of night, coming in using darkness as my cover and wreaking havoc before sneaking away, leaving the place in chaos. Two things wrong with that at least: 1. The night time isn't very dark in the game as the moon is almost always out like a bloody great spotlight. 2. The enemies in the game have a sixth sense about when you are near and your location, making any sneaking up on them next to IMPOSSIBLE.:mad:

Can't argue with you there....all are true, with the exception of the repetitive missions...all shooters are repetitive.

But I still loved the game.

Gamesites are jke at the moment, most are more interested in not pissing of sony\MS\EA etc.

Oh so cynical ....:rolleyes: Wasn't Jeff Gerstmann fired from gamespot because he didn't give Kane & Lynch a good review despite considerable pressure from the game studio to do so? Still, game websites giving Far Cry 2 a good review, scratch that, a great review has got to strain their credibility to breaking point and it's certainly plausible that money was involved in the write ups. Different strokes for different folks and all that but I doubt there's many FPS veterens out there who gave this one a big thumbs up.
    Can't argue with you there....all are true, with the exception of the repetitive missions...all shooters are repetitive.

But I still loved the game.

True, I just felt that Far Cry 2 really turned the repetitiveness factor up a notch while doing little else to compensate for it. However if you take a game like Crysis, you could say it's repetitive in a "Go here and blow up this thing kind of way" but you know, playing that game there was nothing as satisfying as stalking a group of KPR soldiers and killing a straggler behind a big rock while the rest of their group look around puzzled.To me the stealth mechanic of that game was very addicting. Half life 2 was the same, different cool environments, great enemies, physics puzzles, hovercraft and buggy sections. It really felt like an adventure to me because the game kept on changing itself up. Far Cry 2 had a great initial environment and I really thought it was going to be something but after planting so many roadside bombs and after being chased by so many randomers down the roads and waterways, I got a li'l jaded with the whole thing. Still more power to anyone who did enjoy it, just I can't understand it!

Different strokes for different folks and all that but I doubt there's many FPS veterens out there who gave this one a big thumbs up.

Different strokes, agreed.

I don't read reviews anymore, cause they are nearly always saying the game is class, when it could be crap...

Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising got good reviews, and it was muck....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoint got good reviews, and it was muck....
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Different strokes, agreed.
    In your own words...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

you said it... IGN firing Jeff Gerstmann for giving Kane and Lynch a poor review springs to mind...

Far Cry 2 had a great initial environment and I really thought it was going to be something but after planting so many roadside bombs and after being chased by so many randomers down the roads and waterways, I got a li'l jaded with the whole thing. Still more power to anyone who did enjoy it, just I can't understand it!

Your dead right there, but I still loved it, I didn't like it at first, but once I got my sniper rifle, that was it, I was hooked, the Sniping in the game was 1st class.

As for Operation Flashpoint 2, I was really looking forward to it, and it was nothing like the game they showed off in screen shots and vids before launch. The squad AI was pathetic, I played the whole game through and tried the mutliplayer too, I really tried to enjoy it. Muck may have been the wrong word, but it was a huge let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Wossack wrote: »
    you said it... IGN firing Jeff Gerstmann for giving Kane and Lynch a poor review springs to mind...

Gamespot, not IGN. And I think in the long term it's worked out very well for him :)

Yeh Gamespot is worse off without him without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Knights of the Old Republic. Am currently playing Jade Empire and find it a lot more involving and fun than that game: the combat system, the world itself, and the characters. One thing noone mentions about KoToR is that it's quite buggy - when I played through it, I couldn't complete _2_ long side-quests at all due to bugs.

I will probably still end up getting KoToR 2 though, once modders finish the Restoration Project (http://www.team-gizka.org/).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

half life 1 and 2

couldn't figure out how to start in 1 and lost interest in 2.

and KOTOR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty spring to mind. That's all of them by the way not just the latest one's.

Grand Theft Auto, The only thing I can see, as how people think its good is that they curse in it, other than that its just walk around doing repetative mission's for no real reason. The game just freaked me out (Vice City and San Andreas are the ones I played) its just so boring beyond belief.

Call Of Duty, not that these are bad games but they aren't my type of games in all honesty, their are very very few shooting games I will play. Call of Duty/All War games fall into this catagory.

Advertisement