Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scanner!!!!!

• 25-11-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was hope to get some advise.
    I have some old family / college photos that i want to scann and email/ print. I want to buy a scanner but which one should i buy any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Steoc.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

steoc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was hope to get some advise.
    I have some old family / college photos that i want to scann and email/ print. I want to buy a scanner but which one should i buy any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Steoc.:rolleyes:

Watch for one thing - moiré. I got a present of a Canoscan 8800f and while negative scanning is fine, anything with dark colours in it suffers badly.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Why would you want to scan a negative??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why would you want to scan a negative??

Scanning of Negatives/Transparencies is working straight from the film which was in the camera. When you scan from a print you are adding an extra process which will have some loss of resolution & quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CabanSail wrote: »
    Scanning of Negatives/Transparencies is working straight from the film which was in the camera. When you scan from a print you are adding an extra process which will have some loss of resolution & quality.

Yep. Exactly. Thus the problem with scanning photos.:mad: Negatives are fine.:)

So would you throw away the negitives then?
    And when there scanned if you want to print a photo do can you print from the scanned negitive image?
    Sorry for sounding thick:rolleyes:
    So any other recommendations on a scanner to buy?
    Thanks
    Steoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

So would you throw away the negitives then?
    And when there scanned if you want to print a photo do can you print from the scanned negitive image?
    Sorry for sounding thick:rolleyes:
    So any other recommendations on a scanner to buy?
    Thanks
    Steoc

If you use film cameras you keep the negatives, as if you want a copy of photo its always best to use the original negative

On the computer you can adjust the scan of the negative and you have a digital print just like from a digital camera, that you can print,email, put on flickr etc

What sort of quality do you need, how much do you want to spend?

There's lots of user reviews here http://www.testfreaks.com/scanners/

I would say www.amazon.co.uk would be a good place to look also, popular scanners will have a few user reviews. Or argos.co.uk has reviews and the scanners should be the same as in irish argos e.g this looks cheap with lots of good reviews http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6704599/Trail/searchtext%3ESCANNER/gotoTab/reviews.htm Doesn't look like it does negatives but you mightn't need that?

Canon scanners seem to be popular as do Epson

Thanks for all the info Ghost train.
    Pleanty of reading to help me make my mind up.

Advertisement