Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My poor kittys

Options
  • 25-11-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

My poor boys are getting the old snipperoo and Vaccinations today. Vet told me I could not feed them this morning as they had to fast before the anesthetic. Was awful this morning when they ran for their bowl only to realise that I was not following them over to fill it up. The moaned for a while and gave up. Just feel so bad for them. Has anyone else gone through the same thing? When they get home from having the snip what is the best way to look after them? Will they have to wear the lampshades around their neck?
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I know the feeling.
    I had two of my cats neutered a few months ago.

I didnt have to out the lampshades on either of my cats, although i did have to separate them for a day or two. They play fight all the time and i was worried my female cat might get her stitches ripped.

My other cat is almost 6 months old so she will be getting sorted soon too and again i will seperate her from the other two for a few days till the stitches heal up a bit, she is going to cry the house down being on her own.

I ended up getting them a new toy each and some treats to make them feel a bit better about the whole ordeal. And played with them myself a lot more than usual since i wasnt letting them play with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

They will be fine, bit groggy tonight but its not a very painful operation for tom cats. They bouce back within and day, two maximum. Dont worry, you are doing the right thing and within a few days all will be forgiven and forgotten. When I had my fella done, the most stressful part was the howling in the carrier in the car and thats not too bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My poor boys...Just feel so bad for them.

Don't.

The more fuss you make, the more they'll think that something's wrong.

You're not helping them by being upset

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Will they have to wear the lampshades around their neck?

Not if they are male cats. There will just be a little mark left where they have lost their crown jewels.
    They'll feel terrible this evening and will be clingy and miserable.
    However, tomorrow morning they'll be back to normal.

When we got our two done, the male was fine the next day but the female had issues navigating spaces for a week or so due to the lampshade. Also, she had difficulty eating for a while.

The cutest part was when she used to jump up on us in the middle of the night and waking us up to scratch her behind her ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Just a quick update. Rang the vet to see how Rocky and Balu are. All went fine. The poor things are still very groggy. Am gonna warm up the basket when I get home and, put a warm water bottle in it for them tonight. Feel terrible for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Our two are booked in for the 9th of Dec so let me know how you get on. Worried myself as they play very rough but its gotta be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Hi again guys. They are now home since 6 and are still sleeping. I am just a bit worried as they have not drank water yet or been to the toilet. Should I try to rouse them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No, let them sleep it off. Main thing is to keep them warm and cosy for the next 24 hours. They should be drinking and peeing by the morning though, they might just be a little sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Had my two done nearly two months ago, I've got a male and a female and the male was fine again the next day, didn't seem in pain at all. The girl was sore for a few days, but they both bounced back no problem. The girl had a huge incision and I was advised to put the lampshade on her, but I just kept an eye on her and she was fine.

Advertisement