Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws relating to removal of old shop signs in Dublin!

Options
  • 25-11-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

The recent thread on "Ghost signs" made me recall an incident which I witnessed in Dublin City Centre some months ago.

I was passing a small shop near the junction of Lower Mercer St and Sth King St (0pposite the St Stephen's Green S.C) when I saw two guys up a stepladder being directed by some guy on the street. They had taken down "a new sign" and were now tackling a much older sign underneath. I watched as they managed to prise the old sign off which looked like an early 20th century sign. Beautiful old sign of a family name. Obviously the old shop name! I went over and questioned the guy who was giving the directions about the sign. he said he was the owner of the shop and was taking down the sign to put in his garden :eek: At the time I was stunned and thought about contacting D.C.C as I was quite annoyed about it and thought there was something amiss about the whole episode.I was sorry I had not taken a photo with my camera phone!

The thread about "the ghost signs" reminded me of this and I'm just wondering are they protected at all and should I have reported that incident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I'll never forget the day I saw builders rip down a beautiful old sign for the Bretzel Bakery in Portobello and throw it into a skip. This was a couple of years ago.

I went down the next day to try retrieve it but it was already gone.

I still kick myself that I didn't try to salvage it there and then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sundew wrote: »
    I'm just wondering are they protected at all
    I'm not sure but, I suspect that they would be if exposed. The problem is that the planners probably wouldn't have been aware of the existance of the old sign if it had been covered by a replacement many years ago.
    1968 wrote:
    I still kick myself that I didn't try to salvage it there and then
    My brother, who is a builder, seems to relish removing old and interesting stuff and dumping it in skips. :rolleyes:

I rescued an old leather bound book throw by builders into a skip in work recently. It was a stock book from the 1920s up to the 1960s with beautiful copperplate writing. Some of our older staff could recognise some of the signatures in it as they were very junior staff when those in the book were in management positions.

On a similar topic, what is the position with displaying old advert signs which would now be illegal. For example "Smoke Will's Wild Woodbines" etc.

Advertisement