Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony e-reader

• 25-11-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a sony ereader PRS-505 or600?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

I have started to look for a 600 myself.
    The cheapest I have found it is on Amazon.com for $284,
    $329 with kit (mains charger and cover) + 67.95 delivery + im guessing 30% for customs = 343 euro.
    I read in other threads that powercity have them but dont know the price. Also dont know how much they are in Sony shops.
    Let me know if you find it for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I'm thinking of buying the touch screen Sony reader for xmas. I have quite a large ebook library which I mainly read on my laptop in foxit pdf format. Does anyone know if this format works well on the latest Sony. I've heard the older versions didn't allow font resizing of pdfs. Also since I listen to audio books a lot as well what's the sound quality like on the Sony reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

imokyrok wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying the touch screen Sony reader for xmas. I have quite a large ebook library which I mainly read on my laptop in foxit pdf format. Does anyone know if this format works well on the latest Sony. I've heard the older versions didn't allow font resizing of pdfs. Also since I listen to audio books a lot as well what's the sound quality like on the Sony reader?
    Well mate if they are stright up pdfs and not epub or something like that the reader isint great for them... For example every 3rd page or so the screen will only half fill with txt and just cut off mid-sentance then u havta change the page... Not earth shattering but fiercely annoying after a while. Every other format works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Buy online and delivery to Cork looks like 262 euro.
    The one in xtravision is the older model 505
    I made the plunge yesterday and bought a 600 in the Sony centre for 289.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

jus saw a harvey norman ad, said €198 duno which model it is tho

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Buy online and delivery to Cork looks like 262 euro.
    The one in xtravision is the older model 505
    I made the plunge yesterday and bought a 600 in the Sony centre for 289.

Any feedback on your purchase? Are you finding reading large pdf docs a nuisance or is it working out ok?

I came across a couple of comments on pdf reading on the 600 which seem relevant.
    "Just to clarify...the 600's and 700's support two types of PDF "zoom".

Both the 600 and 700 allow you to "reflow" PDF text based documents--just like the 505 does. This increases the size of the fonts and can have odd page breaks and weird placement of graphics. Reflowed documents don't reset when a page is turned--the fonts keep their size.

But the 600 and 700 also supports a "true zoom" where you can zoom in and then move around on the page by dragging it on the screen. When using this type of zoom, the size will go back to the original size when the page is turned."

"good synopsis!

you can catch what both look like in the video in this thread - if you dont mind the reflow of the graphics the reflow option is easier to read and quicker, the zoom is great for manuals and the like where graphic placement is key"

I'm interested to hear about the quality of the audio also as I listen to audio books a lot. Is it sufficiently loud to be able to listen to comfortably while engaged in other activities like driving and cooking or would you have to be wearing headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭finbarrrr

The E198 in Harvey Norman is the pocket edition PRS-300.

I did a little bit of research and I decided to go for the PRS 505 instead of the new Touch Screen PRS 600. The PRS 505 on amazon is Stg249.50. I saw it in my local electrical shop (Kelly and Dollard) in Waterford for 249 Euro. I also asked and got another 15 euro off because there was a sale on that day on other items in the store.

• Advertisement

I'm still thinking about getting the sony reader touch but I'm now considering the ipod touch instead. I bought one for my son for xmas and the screen is impressive plus it's €100 cheaper. Also presumably it would hold more with 8 Gb for the ipod versus 512 mb for the sony? Audio books take up a lot of space so this might be a better idea. So far though I haven't managed to figure out transferring books to the ipod touch but I know it can be done.

Anyone else using the ipod touch for book reading?

Advertisement