Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprisingly high public support for yesterdays strikes

Options
  • 25-11-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I joined my wife and her colleagues for their picket action yesterday, 3 hours standing in the lashing rain. I was shocked and delighted at the amount of support they received from passing motorists. I had feared for them so i came to offer morale support but i need not have! They received huge support in the form of cheers, horns and well wishes from the passing public. And listening to the various Vox Pops on the various radio stations yesterday asking the general public for their view on the strikes it was about 60/40 in support.
    So well done people of Ireland. I should never have lost faith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Liam79 wrote: »
    I joined my wife and her colleagues for their picket action yesterday, 3 hours standing in the lashing rain. I was shocked and delighted at the amount of support they received from passing motorists. I had feared for them so i came to offer morale support but i need not have! They received huge support in the form of cheers, horns and well wishes from the passing public. And listening to the various Vox Pops on the various radio stations yesterday asking the general public for their view on the strikes it was about 60/40 in support.

I passed 4 pickets yesterday and heard no support. I was stuck at lights at 3 of them and heard no one beep.

I heard from a friend who was striking that they got little beeps from cars except taxis and postmen - but thats hardly supprising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

i beeped alright but not in support :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I beeped, but my hand gestures would have made it clear I wasn't supporting them either

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

I heard of one out-pouring of emotion, and it was not the supportive kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

got great support from the passing public but i would not expect to get it of most people who are on this as they are FF members

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

anyone who beeps at a picket not realising that this is the accepted method of supporting then you have to laugh at them :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only support seems to be from within their own ranks, anyone I know who is outside the PS is disgusted by the strikes. In reality there is very little support for this strike outside the PS and a significant minority within their ranks are against it as well.

seangal wrote: »
    got great support from the passing public but i would not expect to get it of most people who are on this as they are FF members

:rolleyes: hahahaha oooohhhhhhhhh funny
    anyone who beeps at a picket not realising that this is the accepted method of supporting then you have to laugh at them :rolleyes::D

they can think whatever they want to think,
    PS workers are already in their own little insulated bubble world

actually im all for them striking more, if they keep up this up for another few days thatll save the country alot of money

gandalf wrote: »
    The only support seems to be from within their own ranks, anyone I know who is outside the PS is disgusted by the strikes. In reality there is very little support for this strike outside the PS and from a significant minority within their ranks as well.

So how do you explain all the vox pops of private sector and unemployed people yesterday on RTE1, Newstalk and Today FM giving large support to the public sector pickets and the amount of people beeping horns and offering support yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So how do you explain all the vox pops of private sector and unemployed people yesterday on RTE1, Newstalk and Today FM giving large support to the public sector pickets and the amount of people beeping horns and offering support yesterday?
    Spouse in the public sector. Media can report whatever they like Liam-if they interviewed 20 people and 5 supported the PS strike they can just play back those 5 and say 2 of the other 15 and hey presto-a bit of controversy (higher listenership!)

• Advertisement

And how do you explain the letters section of the Irish Times today where every letter about the Strike condemns it. The IT are normally balanced in cases like this yet they couldn't find suitable responses from the pro strike side. Newtalk this morning had widespread condemnation from people about the strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The support was a thankyou for the day off and the chance to go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Saw a young woman on Primetime last night, I think she was a physiotherapist, being interviewed on the picket line.
    She's on 55K and says she can't afford to take a hit. My heart bleeds for her.
    My wife is hardworking and well qualified and out of work for 10 months.
    If she was offered a job at half that money she would jump at it.
    Some of these people have no idea what's happening in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

wilson10 wrote: »
    Saw a young woman on Primetime last night, I think she was a physiotherapist, being interviewed on the picket line.

Tell me about it. My family (wife + 2 kids) live on one income (50K) and we are doing ok for now, cant see what she was on about. Didnt a single guy earning 35K say he wouldnt be able to have kids in the future if he took a pay cut!! There are plenty of unemployed and highly qualified people out there who would only love to have those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I didn't hear one good word said about them.

That PrimeTime interview was a pisstake, spinal tap style, no other explanation.
    "How can I be expected to live on €55K!?"
    Oh lawd! The terror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was this one that was crying about her 'Massive mortgage' nobody forced her to buy an apartment.

Had to cringe at 'Shane' the civil servant on the same show, apparently he has had only one promotion in ten years and if there are any more cuts he cant afford to have kids???!! what the f*ck if you cant get your arse in gear and study or take the steps needed to get a promotion then thats your own fault for being a lazy sod nobody elses. I did have a tear in my eye when he said he couldnt afford to have kids if the cuts come....boo fricking hoo.

Gotta say the unions did more damage than good yesterday rolling out these examples of 'normal' people.

Also the teachers being told to strike at the department of education/goverment buildings is fair enough but they didnt bother to let any of the parents know this who then drove past their kids schools and saw no pickets?!! cmon that's just a bit stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Was out and about a bit yesterday.
    Didn't see or hear one beep at pickets in town (was listening for them).
    I know no one who supports the strike outside the PS (and know a few in the PS who think its a joke).

I did see some people in support on the TV recently - they all seem to be grannies. God love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The only support seems to be from within their own ranks, anyone I know who is outside the PS is disgusted by the strikes. In reality there is very little support for this strike outside the PS and a significant minority within their ranks are against it as well.
    Was speaking to a relation last night who works in a hospital. Ten people in their team, 3 of them pro-union, one of them a manager! The remaining 7 had no interest in striking and didnt agree but were told in no uncertain terms it would not be tolerated if they didnt do their stint on the picket yesterday. They were also told they had to do share the normal shift yesterday, 1.5 hours each unpaid as they worked in a hospital.

They felt bullied into this and had no interest or desire in supporting but yet ended on the picket. One example from hundreds of pickets yesterday. I'm sure there are countless others. The untold story imho is a few militant people in each branch leading the charge when amny grass roots workers just want to get on with it.

As regards support, I saw ZERO support yesterday in Dublin City centre. Passed Pearse St fire station in rush hour last night and not one car beeped.
    On my way into work I passed 4 schools on main roads, not one car beeped.

Very easy to tune into a few horns beeping isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

I saw plenty of picketers and strikers yesterday and nobody was beeping horns at them. In fact I saw one car speeding up and trying to splash water from a puddle on to the picketers ! There is a lot of anger at those in such secure well paid jobs with pensions intact, striking - even from some of those within the public service.

She was an embarassment alright
    But what about the other chap on 31k, how come you ignored him??!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Im glad it was Pissin Down

all that went thru my head when watching that

if he (and her) have it so bad then why dont they join the private sector?

oh wait :D ahahahahahhahahaaaa :P :)
    yea taught so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

"suprisingly high public support for yesterdays strikes"

No there wasnt!

Sizzler wrote: »
    Was speaking to a relation last night who works in a hospital. Ten people in their team, 3 of them pro-union, one of them a manager! The remaining 7 had no interest in striking and didnt agree but were told in no uncertain terms it would not be tolerated if they didnt do their stint on the picket yesterday. They were also told they had to do share the normal shift yesterday, 1.5 hours each unpaid as they worked in a hospital.

They felt bullied into this and had no interest or desire in supporting but yet ended on the picket. One example from hundreds of pickets yesterday. I'm sure there are countless others. The untold story imho is a few militant people in each branch leading the charge when amny grass roots workers just want to get on with it.

Well that is just disguisting. All the Union spiel of workers being bullied by the Government and they are doing it to the people they are supposed to be representing.

Well that is just disguisting. All the Union spiel of workers being bullied by the Government and they are doing it to the people they are supposed to be representing.

So now you feel sorry for the lower paid PS worker :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Haha! In your dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I didn't hear one good word said about them.

That PrimeTime interview was a pisstake, spinal tap style, no other explanation.
    "How can I be expected to live on €55K!?"
    Oh lawd! The terror!

Shre was carefully picked to try to gather sympathy support for the public sector....the poor girl bought an apartment at the height of the market etc....ghow could she now live on only 55k etc
    The other two people on prime time were carefully picked to be among the lowest paid public sector workers. Prime time beforehand asked us to listen to both sides of the argument with an open mind.....but there was nobody else. The average salary ( of the 3 ) quoted / shown was well below the statistical public sector average. RTE propoganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

Sizzler wrote: »

As regards support, I saw ZERO support yesterday in Dublin City centre. Passed Pearse St fire station in rush hour last night and not one car beeped.
    On my way into work I passed 4 schools on main roads, not one car beeped.

Very easy to tune into a few horns beeping isnt it?

if you join a union then you're expected to take part in union activities, so it's pretty much tough if the vote didn't go in their favour. if they have such a serious problem with it then they should leave their union and report any staff who bully them to both their own workplace and the union.

i was picketing in dublin city centre for 3 hours yesterday and was surprised by the huge amount of support and not one single person who gave abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

didn't see/hear any support in pickets passed in town, on my way to town on my way home from town.

only support the ps strike got was from other ps workers. hardly surprising. I'd say they had ZERO support from non public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cos 31k isn't bad money either?

Advertisement