Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprisingly high public support for yesterdays strikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Jeez... keep it quite about the jobs... do you want to start a riot?
    Its only the chosen few that will be allowed to join the inner santuary of the 'Public Service', (head bowed in respect), you can't just let anybody from the 'Private Sector' into these jobs!!!:)

lol
    Seriously... is 31k a big wage... it is to someone without a job... but that person in the public sector was probably on that wage during the boom times when alot of others were earning alot more!

I agree it is a good wage to someone without a job ( yours truely ), my lens on wages is a little bit out of touch though since I hear from Peter McLoone that one is lower paid if they are earning less than 60k p.a

tbh I don't really get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

tbh I don't really get your point though.

I was refering to this post:
    phill106 wrote: »
    Neither did joe soap in the private sector. Yet here i am, after 10 months being unemployed, back working on less money then i was on before (and less money then the poor 31k public sector worker mentioned as the bottom ring of the ladder.
    They did not cause the problem, but by their actions they are halting the recovery.
    You ask us the stand up agains the government alongside you?
    I ask the public sector to sit down, do their job and maybe in a few years when the country is no longer on its knees, then you can try for more money.

I was saying that this person Phill is now on less than the 31k, but Phill was on more in the good times when the public service person was still earning around 31k. Phill is now asking the public service employee to take a cut because Phill is now earning less than his 31k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Listening to some of the contributers on this thread is sickening, alot of people out to bash the public sector.... my wife works part time in a hospital and already took a 7 1/2% paycut... more than I did and I work in the 'public sector'....

the government and some of the media has developed this public/private split to take the focus from other items, e.g Dail expenses, stupid spending by some areas in government, 500k for the 'new' boss of a bank...etc.

That was the average and was tax deductable which reduced it to around 4% but wait didn't wage rates rise by 3.2% from increments this year. The poor dears you'd have to feel sorry for them.

People are aware of all the issues with government. Bottom line is whats important at the moment
    Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Now if you'd like to know why this is the case then please read my previous answer about credit crisis/ banks bail-out to see where all of our cash has gone. Yes, folks, its back to the core of the problem. ALL OF OUR MONEY HAS BEEN HOOVERED UP TO KEEP THE FINANCIAL QUANGOS AFLOAT... ( BANKS, BANKS, BANKS )..

Now, Is that clear enough for you ?

ECB are providing the money to fund NAMA get your facts right, the government has to pay it back. It has not come out of Government expenditure

My wife already contributed to a pension... she will recieve no extra benifit from this pension levy!

Now she is contributing more to her pension, which only she will receive. This means everyone else (taxpayers) benefits as we will not have to pay for her pension.
    I was refering to this post:

I was saying that this person Phill is now on less than the 31k, but Phill was on more in the good times when the public service person was still earning around 31k. Phill is now asking the public service employee to take a cut because Phill is now earning less than his 31k!!

When you don't have money you have to cut back. If Phil got paid more during the boom he was probably worth more and will be worth more again.

According to your theory Public sector employee got paid more purely because the govt had more money and had nothing to do with him improving himself, getting a promotion, showing initiative etc

I know who I would be hiring if I had a choice, definitely Phil over a PS employee anyday

The PS where you get rewarded for not doing your best!

Now she is contributing more to her pension, which only she will receive. This means everyone else (taxpayers) benefits as we will not have to pay for her pension.

And your pension will be paid by a company that has invested in the rise and fall of stock markets.... which we are all paying for now!!!!

When you don't have money you have to cut back. If Phil got paid more during the boom he was probably worth more and will be worth more again.
    Very big assumptions!!!

According to your theory Public sector employee got paid more purely because the govt had more money and had nothing to do with him improving himself, getting a promotion, showing initiative etc
    Wrong Wrong Wrong....
    Public Sector got paid 31k during good and bad... Phil got paid more during good and less during bad.... different job for Phil... same job for PS...!!!!

If you are going to try to comment on my "theory" at least read the shagging thing!!!

The PS where you get rewarded for not doing your best!
    I'm sure that the all guards, firemen and nurses will appreciate that comment from a small minded, jump on the bandwagon with no information, type of person.... remind them the next time you call them... maybe the wont fully put your fire out, or the nurse that wont fully stitch that 10inch wound you got when the guards were not fully bothering to stop the man that was knifing you...

Be careful where you point those comments... they may come back to hurt you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I'm sure that the all guards, firemen and nurses will appreciate that comment from a small minded, jump on the bandwagon with no information, type of person.... remind them the next time you call them... maybe the wont fully put your fire out, or the nurse that wont fully stitch that 10inch wound you got when the guards were not fully bothering to stop the man that was knifing you...

****ing public sector terrorists holding the country ransom :cool:

this is exactly why the PS is hated lately

* a sense on entitlement
    * being paid alot
    * having a secure job and moaning about it
    * behaving like brats

im getting rather sick of these thinly veiled threats, its not funny

the fracking guards already put a blind eye while the priests where abusing children, you trying to threaten us with more crap?

it was the PS (yes the government are part of your cartel) that ran this country into the ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

There was a surprising amount of support for the strike last Tuesday. It must be really annoying for the PS Bashers on here to know they are in a minority:D:D
    Lets face it yuppies. The working class outnumber you about 10 to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ... im getting rather sick of these thinly veiled threats, its not funny

...it was the PS (yes the government are part of your cartel) that ran this country into the ground

It's odd that somebody who dislikes thinly veiled threats seems to believe it acceptable to attack the entire public sector in an undiscriminating and intemperate way.

Why do you think so many public sector people are adopting a defensive stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

The public perception is that Gardai and Firemen have dangerous occupations, unfortunately this is not reflected in the ocupational fatality/serious injury statistics. Some Normal less well paid occupations are considerably more dangerous/stressful.
    • Gardai: 16.8
    • Firefighters: 16.6
    • Farmers/Farm labourers : 37.2
    • Grounds Maintenance Workers: 13.5
    • Fishers and related Fishing Workers: 147.2
    • Construction Laborers: 21.4
    • Roofers: 33.5
    • Taxi drivers: 75.3
    • Structural Iron and Steel Workers: 61
    • Operating Engineers and other Equipment Operators: 18.2
    • Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors: 40.7
    • Logging: 87.4
    • Mining Workers: 20.8
    • Long distance Transportation: 37.2
    So why should they recieve such large renumeration? There is never any shortage of applicants for posistions in the Gardai or fire service.
    Is it not enough that the Gardai and fireman receive very generous retirement benefits to encourage them to retire earlier. This benefit is based on the presumption that frontline members of the PS in their late 50s and 60s are physically less capable of apprehending criminals, rescuing people, and responding quickly in emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

The public perception is that Gardai and Firemen have dangerous occupations, unfortunately this is not reflected in the ocupational fatality/serious injury statistics. Some Normal less well paid occupations are considerably more dangerous/stressful.
    So why should they recieve such large renumeration? There is never any shortage of applicants for posistions in the Gardai or fire service.
    Is it not enough that the Gardai and fireman receive very generous retirement benefits to encourage them to retire earlier. This benefit is based on the presumption that frontline members of the PS in their late 50s and 60s are physically less capable of apprehending criminals, rescuing people, and responding quickly in emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The public perception is that Gardai and Firemen have dangerous occupations, unfortunately this is not reflected in the ocupational fatality/serious injury statistics...

Unfortunately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

There was a surprising amount of support for the strike last Tuesday.
    Especially in Newry :rolleyes:

Especially in Newry :rolleyes:
    Can you back that up? :pac:

Can you back that up? :pac:
    Major heavy traffic to Newry has been reported at 23 of November and another smaller traffic jam happened 27 of November. I seen traffic at Friday myself, but you can go to http://www.newry.info/index.php?mo=11&yr=2009 and wait until picture will change to picture of heavy traffic with following comment
    Newry2924.jpg
    This was the traffic today 27th of November at the border Four Miles from Newry so just imagine what its like on a busy shopping day!
    Do you think that it is coincidence that traffic jams are happening only when public sector workers are going for strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Unfortunately?

That's the part of his arguement you attack?

I would like to see the source of the statistics however...

Major heavy traffic to Newry has been reported at 23 of November and another smaller traffic jam happened 27 of November. I seen traffic at Friday myself, but you can go to http://www.newry.info/index.php?mo=11&yr=2009 and wait until picture will change to picture of heavy traffic with following comment
    Newry2924.jpg

Do you think that it is coincidence that traffic jams are happening only when public sector workers are going for strike?
    Unless there was someone on the border stopping cars and asking the occupants if they were public sector workers and recording results then how would anybody know if your claims are true.
    Even from your attempt to prove your claim with a photograph any fool can see most of the traffic is Trucks and Vans. ;)

Unless there was someone on the border stopping cars and asking the occupants if they were public sector workers and recording results then how would anybody know if your claims are true.
    What will happen if all public workers will tell that they are not public sector workers?
    But I don’t think that anybody in Newry will be interested to do it. They are praying now for more strikes in public sector here

Even from your attempt to prove your claim with a photograph any fool can see most of the traffic is Trucks and Vans. ;)
    Left line only
    But main reason for traffic jam was that cars couldn’t move into newry and were blocking all traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Why is this a recurring question across threads? Do you want to see more firefighters killed every year so you can be satisfied we earn our wages? There are no shortage of Firefighters hurt and injured each day whilst carrying out their work. most make full recoveries and return to work. Most injuries are minor but some are long term. None of these statistics are counted.

I'll look for a few of the lads to volunteer next week to get killed on the job in order for the internet warriors on Boards to feel they're getting value for money from their Fire Services.

Maybe then this bu***hit arguement will stop

And your pension will be paid by a company that has invested in the rise and fall of stock markets.... which we are all paying for now!!!!

Thats an even bigger assumption, you don't even know if I have a pension or not and if it has done well or not. I know that my taxes go towards PS pensions. Prove that wrong

Wrong Wrong Wrong....
    Public Sector got paid 31k during good and bad... Phil got paid more during good and less during bad.... different job for Phil... same job for PS...!!!!

If you are going to try to comment on my "theory" at least read the shagging thing!!!

Are you trying to deny that the PS didn't get rewarded in the last ten years. The facts are there - benchmarking, read up on it.

The guy on primetime said he was ten years in the job without a promotion, it would be interesting to know what he started on compared to now considering he is doing the exact same job(they don't like change in the bulk of the PS). PS have received benefits for no return, prove that wrong.

Ye all love to spit out that line about guards etc. They are doing their job, same as everyone else in the country does their job. Still doesn't mean they should get overpaid for it. There are bad eggs in every sector but they don't get weeded out

The main waste in the PS is in the admin side, when you hear of cuts in health it is to do with closing wards, cutting operations, consultants in Donegal getting paid to do nothing etc This is not where cuts should be made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The main waste in the PS is in the admin side, when you hear of cuts in health it is to do with closing wards, cutting operations, consultants in Donegal getting paid to do nothing etc This is not where cuts should be made

A fair chunk of the admin work actually pays for itself strangely enough. Unfortunately there is an endless supply of people who attempt, through telling blatant lies, to claim things that they are not actually entitled to. Each and every case has to be investigated properly to make sure the correct decision is made and money, which would otherwise be wrongly handed out, is kept in the coffers thanks to this type of work.

EF wrote: »
    A fair chunk of the admin work actually pays for itself strangely enough. Unfortunately there is an endless supply of people who attempt, through telling blatant lies, to claim things that they are not actually entitled to. Each and every case has to be investigated properly to make sure the correct decision is made and money, which would otherwise be wrongly handed out, is kept in the coffers thanks to this type of work.
    44% of the HSE budget is seemingly spent on admin, in the UK and US it's 6-8%, not a direct comparison but you get the idea. In my eyes the HSE hasn't improved even with all the staff and money that has been thrown at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Unfortunately?

Obviously you have to die for your job to be considered dangerous by some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

zootroid wrote: »
    That's the part of his arguement you attack?

I would like to see the source of the statistics however...

its common knowledge that those involved in farming are statistically most at risk of injury , its always been this way , construction is second

police in ireland face the same challenges as in any other european country , the only difference is they earn a heck of a lot more , where do we draw the line with this DANGER money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Liam79 wrote: »
    I joined my wife and her colleagues for their picket action yesterday, 3 hours standing in the lashing rain. I was shocked and delighted at the amount of support they received from passing motorists. I had feared for them so i came to offer morale support but i need not have! They received huge support in the form of cheers, horns and well wishes from the passing public. And listening to the various Vox Pops on the various radio stations yesterday asking the general public for their view on the strikes it was about 60/40 in support.
    So well done people of Ireland. I should never have lost faith.
    True.

There was huge support among students in my university too, many of them joining the lecturers on the picket line. Others too were supportive of the strike, although whether this was because of political reasons or the day off I'm bot sure. Great to see that the majority of Irish people are not being fooled by this right wing onslaught being propagated by certain media sources. I'm sure thursday will be just as much of a success provided it goes ahead.

You would think that students would be intelligent enough to know that if pay cuts aren't made then there will definetely be fees reintroduced to balance the books.

Did it ever cross anybodies minds that due to the fact schools were closed... alot of parents had to take the day off... maybe, just maybe, some of these parents made up some of the crowd going shopping in the north... I know... just a silly thought... and I can't back it up with facts like all the media can... but then you don't need facts when you know people want to believe it!!!

And the danger involved in being a bank manager??
    And the danger involved in being a TD??
    And the danger involved in being a Taoiseach??

Come on... that is the silliest argument for bashing the PS...lol...
    Is there anymore sh*te you can dig up to bash the PS???
    And your job is???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

And the danger involved in being a bank manager??
    And the danger involved in being a TD??
    And the danger involved in being a Taoiseach??

Come on... that is the silliest argument for bashing the PS...lol...
    Is there anymore sh*te you can dig up to bash the PS???
    And your job is???
    FFS he's not "Bashing the PS" with his post. He's simply pointing out, that DESPITE THE HOWLS of "Oh A Guard etc. has a dangerous job, therefore they deserve x" that being a Guard is actually a good deal less dangerous than many other 'run of the mill' jobs. This is a good thing of course-nobody wants to see Guards injured or killed to "earn their money".

He was just pointing out the nonsense of the "being a Guard is a dangerous job" argument when statistically it is relatively safe compared to say fishing or logging.

Of course, being a Guard or fireman in Ireland is no more dangerous than being one in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but that person in the public sector was probably on that wage during the boom times when alot of others were earning alot more!
    There was nothing stopping them from joining the private sector. Nothing except less job security. But, now that the boom is over, and wages are going down, do you still wish to be on equal par with the private sector, nad jobless?

What gets me about this whole thread is that during the 'good' times nobody gave a sh*t about what the public service, banks, builders, industrial workers, office workers etc. were earning. Most people were just too busy spending it or saving it (cute hoors).

Now the 'good' times are over, alot of these people who earned loads in the last few years are on a lot less or maybe on the dole.

Nobody has said it yet but does the word JEALOUSY make anybodys face red??????

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    There was nothing stopping them from joining the private sector. Nothing except less job security. But, now that the boom is over, and wages are going down, do you still wish to be on equal par with the private sector, nad jobless?

This quote, " nothing stopped them from joining the private sector" is absolute bullsh*t.

Thats like saying "nothing was stopping people going to another country for work".

Most people I know didn't go chasing bigger wages by moving jobs all the time, and before someone says it, I am Private Sector, not Public Sector, people had a job and that was it...

Advertisement