Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to register for a garage code

• 25-11-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone any advice on exactly how to register for a garage code. I have seen different answers in some previous posts.

Can anyone clarify exactly what it is you need ?

Cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know you need prof of planning permission for a premesis or a rates cert. you also need proof of insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

ddjj18 wrote: »
    Has anyone any advice on exactly how to register for a garage code. I have seen different answers in some previous posts.

Can anyone clarify exactly what it is you need ?

Cheers....

AFAIK you only need an address that is not a house but a premises, business name & vat number.
    contact Dept. of Environment in Clare, they deal with garage codes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

061 365000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ddjj18

thanks for the replys lads

so do you not need to show garage/trade insurance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In order to get a trade number, dont you have to register for a TAN number, which involves a large deposit to cover any VRT you may owe?

I think you need to show trade insurance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

You also need to prove that your paying rates for your premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

In order to get a trade number, dont you have to register for a TAN number, which involves a large deposit to cover any VRT you may owe?

I think you need to show trade insurance too.

If you are only starting out as a motor dealer, how would you owe any VRT?
    Tan number is only necessary for a garage if they intend to register new or used cars from outside our jurisdiction. An ordinary motor dealer need not have a TAN number. In fact the VRO office will take your Tan number off you for non use.
    even getting a Tan number doesn't require any deposit, it only allows you to write a cheque for VRT for a used car or online for a new car (online requires you to prepay).
    Ring the number given & this will be settled very quickly

talked to the department of transport today and the girl ran through most of what has been mentioned in this thread and is to send me an application form.

but the whole premises address that cant be your house is whats confusing me. i talked to three seperate car traders today who either have their garage garage code registered to house or apartment. One even has it registered to his rented apartment ??

These guys also have a mix of either a storage yard, or just buying and selling from their garden

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

OP you can use any address you desire, so long as your motor trade insurance cert is for the same address. It's free.

But by then you'll already have paid up to 2k for motor trade insurance, so i use the word "free" loosely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

By the way, I know what your thinking, but there aint no money to be made in buying and selling cars...;):o

• Advertisement

cheers oregano

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement