Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Town Councillors - why so many?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

On discussion of everyone doing their bit to aid Ireland, why does a little place like Greystones have nine - yes nine - Town Councillors...
    http://www.greystonesguide.com/greystonestowncouncil.html

Seems excessive to me. Two would be enough.

Mind you, Ireland has 166 TDs for a population of 4M, whereas the UK has almost 4x as many (646 MPs) for a population almost 20x as large.

Excessive at every level administrative I would say. As the Government is considering cuts in these hard times, it should look at itself, and we can do our bit by convincing our Town Council to reduce itself to two members only.

Are there any Councillors who are on this board who wish to respond?

(Please all keep this to the local issue of Greystones Town Council, or the moderators will close it down if it gets too general.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

never mind number of councillors, there's too many councils. Wicklow has 4 town councils and a county council. I'm sure this could be reduced to 2 local authorities - the existing Irish county boundaries are a legacy of Victorian-era British rule and need to be completely redrawn (I think the McCarthy report said something along these lines).

Greystones "Town Council" is a former Town Commission - although it has the same title as the councils in Bray, Wicklow and Arklow it does not have the same powers and is little more than a talking-shop. 4 of the Greystones councillors are also on the county council.

Advertisement