Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java advice

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

im making a simple game, i have a 2d array to store a grid of images representing the play area. are jlabel icons the way to go or is there a different way to use images...

also, ive done a bit of swing but whats the best way to output the??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

do you mean you want to display the image in a label?

You can just display the image without the need for a label

Is it an applet your making or a full application?

you can use swing or awt

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

draffodx wrote: »
    do you mean you want to display the image in a label?

You can just display the image without the need for a label

Is it an applet your making or a full application?

you can use swing or awt

its a full applictaion. how does one display images without labels? will it still all go in a jframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

theliam wrote: »
    its a full applictaion. how does one display images without labels? will it still all go in a jframe?

yep you can just add it to a jframe, see the java documentation

what is wrong with this -
    import javax.swing.*;
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.io.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import java.awt.image.*;
    import javax.imageio.*;

public class display {
        Image[][] ImageArray = new Image[11][11];
        try {
            BufferedImage wallImg = ImageIO.read(new File("wall.png"));
            BufferedImage goalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("goal.png"));
            BufferedImage boxOnEmptyFloorImg = ImageIO.read(new File("boxonemptyfloor.png"));
            BufferedImage boxOnGoalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("boxongoal.png"));
            BufferedImage manImg = ImageIO.read(new File("manonemptyfloorU.png"));
            BufferedImage manOnGoalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("manongoalU.png"));
            BufferedImage floorImg = ImageIO.read(new File("emptyfloor.png"));
        } catch (IOException e) {
        }...

for 'try' and 'catch' it says illegal start of type
    and for all the other lines it says 'unreported exception java.io.IOException; must be caught or delcared to be thrown'

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Talon.ie

You haven't imported BufferedImage. It's in in the java.awt.image package, so import java.awt.* won't import it.

Using wildcards in java import statements is generally frowned on. It's better to explicitly import all of your classes.

• Advertisement

Talon.ie wrote: »
    You haven't imported BufferedImage. It's in in the java.awt.image package, so import java.awt.* won't import it.

Using wildcards in java import statements is generally frowned on. It's better to explicitly import all of your classes.

i have import java.awt.image.*; anyway

the problem is something to do with the try catch statements, theyre not working...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Talon.ie

sorry, brain not working so good right now.

You have to put your code in a method, not in the class body.
    import java.awt.Image;
    import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
    import java.io.File;
    import java.io.IOException;

import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

public class display {
        private Image[][] imageArray = new Image[0][0];

public void doSomething() {
            try {
                BufferedImage wallImg = ImageIO.read(new File("wall.png"));
                BufferedImage goalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("goal.png"));
                BufferedImage boxOnEmptyFloorImg = ImageIO.read(new File("boxonemptyfloor.png"));
                BufferedImage boxOnGoalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("boxongoal.png"));
                BufferedImage manImg = ImageIO.read(new File("manonemptyfloorU.png"));
                BufferedImage manOnGoalImg = ImageIO.read(new File("manongoalU.png"));
                BufferedImage floorImg = ImageIO.read(new File("emptyfloor.png"));
            } catch (IOException e) {
            }
        }
    }

okay, new question! thought i might as well keep it in this thread.

i have a sequnce of 'if' statements that get run through and only 1 condition of all the statements will ever work until that one runs changing the variables being tested, which can then interfere. i need it to jump out of the sequence of ifs once one has been run. cant think of a way to do this well... any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

i have a sequnce of 'if' statements that get run through and only 1 condition of all the statements will ever work until that one runs changing the variables being tested, which can then interfere. i need it to jump out of the sequence of ifs once one has been run. cant think of a way to do this well... any suggestions?
    2 possible ways I can think of;
    • use if only for the first one and else if for the others, so it only tries each if all the preceding conditions failed.
    • use a break command to exit the structure.

hmmmm, found what was actually causing the problem but still not convinced something couldnt go wrong from it

• Advertisement

farohar wrote: »
    2 possible ways I can think of;
    • use if only for the first one and else if for the others, so it only tries each if all the preceding conditions failed.
    • use a break command to exit the structure.

if, else... :o thanks

Advertisement