Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Blank DVDS

• 25-11-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I bought a spindle of 50 Tesco DVDs for €4 yesterday, having used a 25 spindle before with no problems. However, whenever I put in a blank disc, the drive reads it as a CD not DVD, and will not burn any DVD. Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem or is it back to the shop I go to get a refund?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Sorry if this is a stupid question but are you sure the drive is capable of burning DVD's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

yes it is. I have burned thousands of DVDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

if it says DVD on the disk and wont burn then Yes,Bring them back to the shop!
    you could try burning them on other pc just to make sure?

Edit: sorry just seen you bought them in Tesco,Bad choice,probebly non brand? and crap disks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

What software are you using to burn the DVD?
    Would you be able to maybe try another program just to rule the software out?
    I use this program quite a lot. Link

Failing that then it's possible the DVD's maybe faulty. 4 euros for 50 DVDs. Thats sounds too cheap.

I was using Nero and have never any problems with it, so I'm going to take them back to the shop.

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

**** that. I'd buy another pack. Return it, get another, test the discs on another PC...

If Tesco is passing off CDs as DVDs? thats newsworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Could just be an easy mistake. Big sign at the bottom of the isle saying "MULTIPACK DVD's" when infact it was meant to be CD's. **** happens, tesco are usually pretty good for returning products.

I don't quite understand the last two comments. The packaging and the writing on the discs themselves say DVD-R. I didn't test burn them as CDs just in case Tesco said I couldn't return once I used any, so I don't know was it a slip up at the factory where Cds were imprinted with the details for dvds.

But anyway, i returned them today with no real hassle. I wish they worked cos €4 for 50 DVDS is an unbeatable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I love consumer conspiracy though :pac:

http://consumerist.com/ maybe I read too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Now I'm posting from memory because I'm not sitting at a PC with Nero installed, but I do remember something like this from a version of Nero before. Up in the top right corner, there was an drop-down to select what kind of drive I was using. I only had one physical drive, a DVD writer, but if I selected CD writer it would still burn CDs, but not recognise a DVD. Long shot, but check it out.

• Advertisement

Now I'm posting from memory because I'm not sitting at a PC with Nero installed, but I do remember something like this from a version of Nero before. Up in the top right corner, there was an drop-down to select what kind of drive I was using. I only had one physical drive, a DVD writer, but if I selected CD writer it would still burn CDs, but not recognise a DVD. Long shot, but check it out.

Yeah that is a long shot. Nero was set up fine. Even outside out of Nero, the DVDS were reading as CDs. Anyway can't test them as I don't have them anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i once got a bad spindle of Tesco DVDs, none of the disks where recognised in the drive. They came in handy as frisbies.
    i also vowed never to buy disks from Tesco again.

I wish to offer Tescos my sincere apology. After purchasing replacement discs - Sony DVD-Rs, i found that I had the same problem I had with the tesco ones. It turns out the firmware on my drive was too old. after updating this, the sony discs worked fine. I will give the benfit of the doubt to the tesco discs also, as I have used several before with no problems.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement