Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car from what I now think is a dodgy garage

• 25-11-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,

If this is the wrong place for this, mods feel free to move...

I purchased a car 3 weeks ago from a garage on the naas road. Signed a form and the guy in the garage said that I would receive the change of ownership from the tax office in the post. I didnt receive anything so rang the tax office a week ago. I gave the registration number and they said the car wasnt registered in my name so I'd have to get back on to the garage. I've been trying to call the garage for a week and there's been no answer... I'm starting to get very worried that I could have been done...

also, there's a 3 month warranty on the engine, and now my engine warning light has started to come on... but thats a side issue since I cant even drive the car anyway.

So basically what i'm asking is, worst comes to the worst and I can never get in touch with the garage, what am I supposed to do with the car that I cannot tax and therefore cannot drive?

It's my first car, and i'm starting to feel like a bit of a fool :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you tried calling in to the garage? Or seeing if there's another phone number you could try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The majority of garages on the Naas road are dodgy. Fair enough there a handful of garages that have been there for years, but there are an awful lot of them that open for 6 months, change name change "owners" but are still owned by the same people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you tried calling in to the garage? Or seeing if there's another phone number you could try?

I live far enough away from the naas road, so cannot get there til Saturday. There's no other number... and actually the only number I have is a mobile number. I'm getting very stressed about this, I feel like crying cuz i've been so stupid.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The majority of garages on the Naas road are dodgy. Fair enough there a handful of garages that have been there for years, but there are an awful lot of them that open for 6 months, change name change "owners" but are still owned by the same people.

Oh god, i did not need to hear that... :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are they SIMI registered :D
    Can you call down to them (having somebody with you)?

• Advertisement

Don't panic just yet, Just call in and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I live far enough away from the naas road, so cannot get there til Saturday. There's no other number... and actually the only number I have is a mobile number. I'm getting very stressed about this, I feel like crying cuz i've been so stupid.
    Don't panic, it's not the end of the world. Try googling the garage name, that might throw up other ads with phone number(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Don't worry until you call in to them.
    A lot of these guys might not be bothering to answer the phone.
    Also, some places send off all the change of ownership forms once a month. It also takes a few days to be processed in the motor office.
    It took me a few weeks to get my logbook when I bought my car back in July and the guy had sent off the forms pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also start a new thread with a complete description of the issue along with the make, model & year of the car and maybe people here can help

Ok my husband suddenly remembered the name of the garage they were attached to and after ALOT of searching on the net we've found a number for them, so going to give that garage a call at lunchtime, and hopefully they'll have a number for the place I bought mine from.

I know i'm probably panicking too early, i'm a bit of a worrier in general!

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't worry until you call in to them.
    A lot of these guys might not be bothering to answer the phone.
    Also, some places send off all the change of ownership forms once a month. It also takes a few days to be processed in the motor office.
    It took me a few weeks to get my logbook when I bought my car back in July and the guy had sent off the forms pretty quickly.

This is good news :)

Heroditas wrote: »
    some places send off all the change of ownership forms once a month. It also takes a few days to be processed in the motor office.

I don't know of any place that does this, the change of ownership is Freepost, and with the M50 toll its lots of hassle for them if they get charged for the customers tolls (assuming they actually put the car into their name in the first place)
    Any half decent garage should be set up for change of ownership online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Dept of the Environment in Shannon can be slow too to process the change of ownerships. I remember one time they were taking up to 5 weeks to do it. Don't panic just yet, it might only be something administrative that's screwing it up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The link below will tell you if there has been any change in the ownership recently. It might save you having to ring frequently.

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d818e6ffcf08a2467ca7e69ec4a8bade75.e38PaNaSbhuOay0LahmKe0?page=welcome

Advertisement