Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sven Hassel

Options
  • 25-11-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I read all his books when I was a teenager, quite cruesome and gripping , but how much of it was real?
    according to wikipedia he made up a lot of stuff and was in contact with Danes who had been Wikinger.
    if the books are to be believed he served on every front and nearly every campaign, which in itself is a bit suspect.
    does anyone know why he wrote some books in French? surely german or Dannish would have been the logical language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

some discussion on Sven Hassel here Fuinseog

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055268471

I read them all myself years ago, really enjoyed them too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Old, thread, I know, but I just read that Sven Hassel died on September 21st in Barcelona. NY Times Obituary is here.
    “My books are strictly antimilitary,” he said in a 2002 interview with Contemporary Authors Online. “They correspond to my personal view of what I experienced. I write to warn the youth of today against war. I am writing the story of the small soldiers, the men who neither plan nor cause wars but have to fight them. War is the last arm of bad politicians.”

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bnt wrote: »
    Old, thread, I know, but I just read that Sven Hassel died on September 21st in Barcelona. NY Times Obituary is here.

not aware of an of teh books where he did this:
    'Some questioned battlefield scenarios in which his soldiers fought Russians in the morning and Free French in the afternoon, when such encounters would have meant a 1,000-mile march during lunch." (taken from the obituary.)

i wonder why he never wrote about his pre penal whermacht days or his post war captivity in russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I read all his books when I was a teenager, quite cruesome and gripping , but how much of it was real?
    according to wikipedia he made up a lot of stuff and was in contact with Danes who had been Wikinger.
    if the books are to be believed he served on every front and nearly every campaign, which in itself is a bit suspect.
    does anyone know why he wrote some books in French? surely german or Dannish would have been the logical language?

I read his books in the early seventies - now they would just seem unrealistic. Tried to find his unit in one battle and failed.
    He seemed to get around WW2 a lot.

indioblack wrote: »
    I read his books in the early seventies - now they would just seem unrealistic. Tried to find his unit in one battle and failed.
    He seemed to get around WW2 a lot.

were there units or soldiers that fought on absolutely every front as Hassel claimed to have done? presumably the books are fiction loosely based on real events and people.critics claim that Hassel may not even have served, but merely spoke to Wiking veterans and based his writings on that.

• Advertisement

were there units or soldiers that fought on absolutely every front as Hassel claimed to have done? presumably the books are fiction loosely based on real events and people.critics claim that Hassel may not even have served, but merely spoke to Wiking veterans and based his writings on that.

Back then when I read his books I was younger, more impressionable - didn't know a lot!
    I'd now find books like that uninteresting - and I'd be quicker to suspect their authenticity.
    I wouldn't be suprised if he got the idea for his group of comrades from "All Quiet on the Western Front".

a war comic story was based on sven hassel in the comic BATTLE.

Was that one of those small illustrated booklets about WW2?
    Used to get them as a kid here in England - and over in Ireland, too.
    Bit embarassing to look back on them now.

Was that one of those small illustrated booklets about WW2?
    Used to get them as a kid here in England - and over in Ireland, too.
    Bit embarassing to look back on them now.

charleys war used to be in the comic, which was brilliantly researched. Johnny Red also. sometimes the Germans were presented in a positive light especially when fighting the Russians.i cannot remember what the story was called. it was about a group of German misfits in a penal battalion.

charleys war used to be in the comic, which was brilliantly researched. Johnny Red also. sometimes the Germans were presented in a positive light especially when fighting the Russians.i cannot remember what the story was called. it was about a group of German misfits in a penal battalion.

I've been thinking - the Germans had these penal battalions, the Russians too - would they have been shown on any division's strength.
    Not trying to say that Hassel did run about in WW2 fighting everywhere - it's just that you started me thinking about these types of units. Presumably an army would not want too much known about them, aside from internally - as a deterrent.

• Advertisement

I've been thinking - the Germans had these penal battalions, the Russians too - would they have been shown on any division's strength.
    Not trying to say that Hassel did run about in WW2 fighting everywhere - it's just that you started me thinking about these types of units. Presumably an army would not want too much known about them, aside from internally - as a deterrent.

the Russians had penal battalions and the men were often sent into battle without guns or only half of them would be armed. There was an SS penal battalion.

the Russians had penal battalions and the men were often sent into battle without guns or only half of them would be armed. There was an SS penal battalion.

Yes, had a quick look on Wikipedia. Perhaps the only accuracy in Hassel's stories was the descriptions of the various types of men sent to this unit.

Yes, had a quick look on Wikipedia. Perhaps the only accuracy in Hassel's stories was the descriptions of the various types of men sent to this unit.

apparently there were no penal Panzer battalions. hassel may have been a Danish Nazi who never served at all.

apparently there were no penal Panzer battalions. hassel may have been a Danish Nazi who never served at all.

It's so long ago that I had any of the books - were they published as fiction?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC the bits about the lice with the cross are similar to "all quiet on the Western Front"

Back in the day the story was that they weren't all his personal experiences but that they were stories he'd heard and figured were true

I haven't read any of Andy McNab's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I think you're thinking of Kampfgruppe Falken in Warlord

http://britishcomicart.blogspot.ie/2012/04/kampfgruppe-falken.html

I think you're thinking of Kampfgruppe Falken in Warlord

http://britishcomicart.blogspot.ie/2012/04/kampfgruppe-falken.html

not sure. there were six characters in it. one called swede, another the old man. it read it in the eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The first book he wrote was Wheels of Terror, this book tells a story from the start of the penal battalion to where Sven Hassel and a good officer are the only suvivors.

The main charachters were Sven, the old man 9( the Sargent in the group an anti Nazi), Portia a thief, The Legionaire ( a German that fought in the French Forgien legion not sure if he was in the orginal Book), Tiny a big strong dim wit, and in later books Heide a pro Nazi.

All the later books were wrote after the sucess of Wheels Of Terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CitizenMaine

The first book he wrote was Wheels of Terror, this book tells a story from the start of the penal battalion to where Sven Hassel and a good officer are the only suvivors.

The main charachters were Sven, the old man 9( the Sargent in the group an anti Nazi), Portia a thief, The Legionaire ( a German that fought in the French Forgien legion not sure if he was in the orginal Book), Tiny a big strong dim wit, and in later books Heide a pro Nazi.

All the later books were wrote after the sucess of Wheels Of Terror.

Legion of the dammed was the first book Sven Hassel wrote whilst in a russian prison camp after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Legion of the dammed was the first book Sven Hassel wrote whilst in a russian prison camp after the war.

Sorry you are right so in my post repace as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I fondly remember reading Sven Hassel novels whilst quite young but can't remember exactly how young I was. My son is now 12 and reading a Robert Muchamore novel "Henderson's Boys" about WWII and it prompted me to think about getting some Sven Hassel books for him to read but maybe he's too young yet? What do people think? Is 12 too young?

Ben

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I fondly remember reading Sven Hassel novels whilst quite young but can't remember exactly how young I was. My son is now 12 and reading a Robert Muchamore novel "Henderson's Boys" about WWII and it prompted me to think about getting some Sven Hassel books for him to read but maybe he's too young yet? What do people think? Is 12 too young?

Ben
    way too young

far too much gratuitous sex and violence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When I was about 12, I picked up one of his books in my school library, which was extremely well stocked. I can't recall the title, but it begins with some German soldiers finding the bodies of some German nurses, who had been raped.

My dad was worried about this and my being only 12. He went to the school principal and discussed the matter, where the prinicpal basidally said that the books are there for the students and it's up to them to try and make of it what they can. Either way, I still got to read the book, with my dad saying that if there was anything in there I wanted to ask about, I should.

The next book I got out was 'Jaws' and the novel has some things in it that the film leaves out completely.

Advertisement