Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a man with a van for moving apartment?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm moving apartment maybe tomorrow or Friday. I'm thinking of getting a "man with a van" to help with the move.

Can any of you recommend any for the Dublin area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Hello

I'm moving apartment maybe tomorrow or Friday. I'm thinking of getting a "man with a van" to help with the move.

Thanks!

There is a boardsie called Cormie that is exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks!

I went with these in July and was very happy - van came with 2 blokes who did a lot of heavy shifting very quickly:

http://www.vanmandublin.com/index.htm

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

CJhaughey wrote: »
    #

I recommended Cormie to a friend who rang and was thrown a pirce out of thin air without really asking anything and it sounded pretty over priced.

so I haven't recommended him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I've used Cormie in the past for home stuff and also recommended him to a company I used to work for who have used him at least once for a professional task. I would highly recommend his service, easy to contact and I found him very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ntlbell wrote: »
    #

I recommended Cormie to a friend who rang and was thrown a pirce out of thin air without really asking anything and it sounded pretty over priced.

Don't shoot the messenger! I am just putting the info out there YMMV.

• Advertisement

Don't shoot the messenger! I am just putting the info out there YMMV.

oh i know, just putting it out there.

i have personally never dealt with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I can vouch for Cormie, have used him before, he is very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone :)
    ntlbell wrote: »
    #

ntlbell, could you expand on this please? My prices are calculated based on time, distance, costs and whether there'll be assistance with anything I can't manage alone, or whether I'll need to bring my own helper etc.

The service I offer is a fully insured, legitimate service with a reliable reputation. I'd say 99% of "man with a van" services are operating illegally with invalid insurance etc (even some with websites like mine I know to be operating illegally) but I'm still keen to compete and give the best price where possible and I'd take any criticism very seriously and do what I can to try and improve where I can :)

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the recommendations everyone :)

ntlbell, could you expand on this please? My prices are calculated based on time, distance, costs and whether there'll be assistance with anything I can't manage alone, or whether I'll need to bring my own helper etc.

The service I offer is a fully insured, legitimate service with a reliable reputation. I'd say 99% of "man with a van" services are operating illegally with invalid insurance etc (even some with websites like mine I know to be operating illegally) but I'm still keen to compete and give the best price where possible and I'd take any criticism very seriously and do what I can to try and improve where I can :)

He basically said he called, who ever answered the phone didn't ask many questions, it was a smallish item going from dub 1/2 to dub 4 and quoted a price which sounded like it was pulled out of the air, I can't recall the exact figure but I remember being shocked at it.

As I said, I have never used you so I don't have first hand expirience, but I had heard good things on boards and reccomended you off the back of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd recommend Cormie, used him twice.

If price is an issue then maybe do a bit of haggling. Any business expects it. Haggle before the job, not after it!

And yes, most "man with a van" service are cash in hand jobs and I'd be worried over things like insurance with my life possessions in it

• Advertisement

Thanks mikemac :)

ntlbell, perhaps the fact it was a small item is the reason he was surprised at the cost. I'm not a courier, part of a larger set up, most of whom would do 80/90 drops a day. I can't compete with the likes of these for small items. The service I offer is a full van available for whatever it may be with driver assisted loading, direct delivery with customer appointed collection and delivery times, full insurance and passenger seats if required.

The requested time also has to be considered, if they want me to collect something at 5pm in the city centre on a Friday it's going to cost more as I'll have to return to the depot in rush hour Friday evening traffic. I always suggest to customers to keep it between rush hour times or after as I prefer to keep the cost low to secure the job.

If I was driving or on a job at the time, I may have only given an estimate without gathering enough information. Even though I have a hands free kit, it's hard to concentrate properly and I don't like to spend too long on the phone if I'm loading the van with a customer etc. :o

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks mikemac :)

ntlbell, perhaps the fact it was a small item is the reason he was surprised at the cost. I'm not a courier, part of a larger set up, most of whom would do 80/90 drops a day. I can't compete with the likes of these for small items. The service I offer is a full van available for whatever it may be with driver assisted loading, direct delivery with customer appointed collection and delivery times, full insurance and passenger seats if required.

The requested time also has to be considered, if they want me to collect something at 5pm in the city centre on a Friday it's going to cost more as I'll have to return to the depot in rush hour Friday evening traffic. I always suggest to customers to keep it between rush hour times or after as I prefer to keep the cost low to secure the job.

If I was driving or on a job at the time, I may have only given an estimate without gathering enough information. Even though I have a hands free kit, it's hard to concentrate properly and I don't like to spend too long on the phone if I'm loading the van with a customer etc. :o

I'll pass on the feedback and thanks for taken the time to explain the situation :)

That's cool, thanks :)

Advertisement