Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another quick Ovi-store Rant feat. JoikuSpot

• 25-11-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Wtf? JoikuSpot Premium has been on offer for a few days now - I believe from Joiku it's 5 bucks BUT Ovi keep selling it for 14.99!!!

Another reason why you should only use Ovi to browse. Buy whatever tickles you directly from the makers!

another example: i bought gravity through ovi for my e71. When I needed another license it would have cost me the full price at Ovi. But going directly to Gravity's maker I got a decent discount.

A lot of paid for wm apps can be run on multiple phones(piePlus, spb etc) . Not at the same time but still...

Ripoff!
    Not to mention that most stuff Ovi offers for E1.00 or 2.00 is usually free elsewhere. It's, it seems, their service fee!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Having used the apple app store a lot recently, my opinion of Nokia has wained significantly. I don't get was happened to them - they can't seem to get anything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

The Ovi store was a huge reason I went back to my iPhone. The N97 was a nice phone, but the lack of apps for it and cost of said apps was ridiculous! Never looked back since. Nokia seriously need to step their game up or they may as well forget the smart phone market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Agree with you all.
    Sure, Nokia have the disadvantage of having to serve many different handsets with Ovi, but there are some basics that are just unacceptable - useful apps are ridiculously expensive compared to iPhone's appstore or the pretty good Android market.
    One never knows which items can be redownloaded in case you have to reset your phone etc... Even when the download fails due to an interrupted connection one often cannot redownload. And try to contact customer care!!! It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't go as far as 'dropping' NOKIA because of this, but people should be careful. I would only get freeware through Ovi. Otherwise just use it to browse and buy the stuff elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

very true. the only thing i bought from it was best task manager. when stuff freezes its the only thing that helps. other than that ye should browse getjar. its a good site,just read reviews before you download in case theres dodge stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

strecker wrote: »
    Wtf? JoikuSpot Premium has been on offer for a few days now - I believe from Joiku it's 5 bucks BUT Ovi keep selling it for 14.99!!!

Not 5 bucks

http://www.joikushop.com/index.php?action=products&mode=productDetails&product_id=33

25.00 EUR reduced to 9.00 EUR on the Joiku shop
    maybe Joiku hasn't allowed this discount onto ovi

I agree the ovi store is a mess :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I bought an 8gb iPod touch to use as a 'laptop' and a toy when in free wifi areas. I hate to say it but even without the phone functionality it makes my Nokia 5800 look pathetic. Nokia are in real trouble now that Apple have created iPhone envy by exclusive contracts and now are opening the floodgates. Nokia win for plain phone functionality and that will sell them a billion handsets in emerging markets but outside of that they need to seriously improve the functionality of their devices. Try the email client on a Nokia and then compare it to that on an iPhone. (It also beats carrying a netbook or laptop around too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I think when Google bring out google maps with turn by turn directions with street view next year for free,
    That will make a lot of people move to Android OS phones, as you basically have a "free" sat nav in your phone (once you have a data plan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Not 5 bucks

http://www.joikushop.com/index.php?action=products&mode=productDetails&product_id=33

25.00 EUR reduced to 9.00 EUR on the Joiku shop
    maybe Joiku hasn't allowed this discount onto ovi

I agree the ovi store is a mess :)

Joiku have been doing a couple of "sliding scale" discounts on JoikuSpot over the last couple of months.

First 150 customers get it for a fiver, next 150 for 6 etc ..

Great piece of software for half an hour bursts say, but extended use does heat up your battery a fair bit.

For extended use I'd go with the cable.

Advertisement