Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primetime 24/11: Since when is 55,000 not a good wage?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I was a bit shocked last night to hear that 55,000 is not considered a good wage to some people. Personally I would consider this person to be a high earner. If I earned that much I would consider myself rich! I'm interested to hear other peoples views on this. Have people gone money mad here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I will take it no problem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'll take it- if you offer it to me (gladly......)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

avalon68 wrote: »
    I was a bit shocked last night to hear that 55,000 is not considered a good wage to some people.

did someone say that?

on other threads I think the point was that someone on 55K said they could not afford a cut, given their particular circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Depends on your field and qualifications.

Mates in my course are on a starting wage of up at high as 40k from graduation. If you start at 40k a year, surely you would think to end up significantly hight over the course of 40 years working no?

Granted education is this country is free, but if it wasn't or you weren't an irish citizen you would expect a decent return on your expensive college degrees(up to 80k for a basic 4 years). This requires a good salary.

If you work hard and are in the right business there is money to be made. I personally would hope to end up on significantly more then that when i retire. I would not call 55k a year rich. It's all dependant. If i had no mortgage, no kids and was providing for only myself then yeh.

If i had a few kids and a wife to support(assuming she wasnt working or whatever) then no,I would not be rich!

All relative! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

According to this chart 80% of the workforce earn under 50k. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63041551&postcount=26

Now for 55k, that number grows a bit. So yeh, the person who says 55k is not a good wage is a liar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

it is a good wage by Irish standards, however if you have had a cosseted existence you may not realise that there are others who would regard this as a good wage and that going on about not being able to live on 55,000 is counter-productive. I think there was a teacher last year who complained about not being able to live on 60,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gurramok wrote: »
    So yeh, the person who says 55k is not a good wage is a liar.

I'll ask again

did anyone actually say that?

According to this chart 80% of the workforce earn under 50k. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63041551&postcount=26

Now for 55k, that number grows a bit. So yeh, the person who says 55k is not a good wage is a liar.

Depends on your definition then i suppose...

Is a good wage the average wage?
    I would call the average wage a "fair" wage.

A good wage would be above average no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ssaye wrote: »
    Its all relative, with deductions in the Public Sector at the moment somebody on 55k can be earning 650 per week. If you are now the sole income in your household with 3 kids on a 2000 euro mortgage you now have 600 a month to live. This is extreme but does happen more and more. Money was probably saved for a rainy day I imagine but it cant be much.

55k a year and no debts, you're laughing.

so we should feel sorry for someone who was reckless with finances and overindulged on debt

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

I was a bit shocked last night to hear that 55,000 is not considered a good wage to some people. Personally I would consider this person to be a high earner. If I earned that much I would consider myself rich! I'm interested to hear other peoples views on this. Have people gone money mad here?

I don't think half of you understand a simple statement.
    He said,55,000 IS NOT A GOOD WAGE. He didn't say oh 55,000 won't get you anywhere because you have so and so debt to pay off because of this or that.
    55,000 is a bloody huge wage cop on a small bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'll ask again

did anyone actually say that?

The OP asked the question and you have your answer. It works out at 3,400 a month, http://www.hookhead.com/Tools/tax2009b.jsp.

Anyone who says it is not a good wage is lying.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    so we should feel sorry for someone who was reckless with finances and overindulged on debt

:rolleyes:

No but you should respect that all things are relative to your situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Riskymove wrote: »
    did someone say that?

on other threads I think the point was that someone on 55K said they could not afford a cut, given their particular circumstances

But neither can the country afford the salaries that are paid in the public sector. Both the public sector wage bill and social welfare payments must come down.

So while a cut might be painful, it will be nothing compared to what will happen to the country if nothing is done.

muboop1 wrote: »

of course all things are relative

does that mean we have to accommodate people who are reckless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

muboop1 wrote: »

Indeed - how we all felt sorry for Padraic Flynn who only earned £100,000 but was had to run his three houses with housekeepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

My god that is shocking! Thats a fantastic wage by anybody's standard surely. It's not your employers fault that you are in debt or have kids and your partner is not working. Nobody owes anybody a living, I realise that certain professionals earn much more than this but for a regular PAYE worker with a normal degree that is an excellent wage. I didn't see primetime so I don't know who said that but I have a B.Comm and Masters and earn 32k, with little hope that will go up by much anytime soon. 55k would be dreamland for me. During the boom I did earn over 40k and had a lovely company car but I was made redundant from that job due to cutbacks, that felt like a very good wage though, perhaps my expectations are too low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The OP asked the question and you have your answer. It works out at 3,400 a month, http://www.hookhead.com/Tools/tax2009b.jsp.

Anyone who says it is not a good wage is lying.

Before or after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Im not sure if it was before or after tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

55K is a good wage, certainly not 'rich' territory though. As previous posts have mentioned, its all relative. I earn 55k but with a stay at home wife and 2 kids it does not keep me in a luxury lifestyle if you know what i mean. In saying that we are doing fine (touching wood) and after selling 2 newish cars for older ones we actually have a fair bit of spare cash which makes a nice change. Although my job is fairly secure for now, we are still getting our finances in shape as the likes of interest rates will surely start to rise soon enough. I guess during the 'boom' the more you earned the bigger your debt, house and car etc. so someone earning 30K may well be in the same boat as someone on 80K.

Im not sure if it was before or after tax

So it could conceivably be quite a poor wage, or at least not a rich or 'good' wage as you previously suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

zootroid wrote: »
    But neither can the country afford the salaries that are paid in the public sector. Both the public sector wage bill and social welfare payments must come down.

So while a cut might be painful, it will be nothing compared to what will happen to the country if nothing is done.

In conjunction with this- there *has* to be an audit of people's skills and qualifications in the public sector- it is criminal that there are thousands of highly skilled people being postboxed into menial chores- when they could play a much more meaningful and necessary role in trying to get the country back together. To put this into context- there are at least 18 economists in the Department of Finance doing admin work- while the Department feels its necessary to bring in external consultants, because it doesn't have the necessary internal expertise. This is both demoralising to those who are highly capable and qualified- but also scandalous that the taxpayer is paying several times over the odds, for a resource that is already present........

If this were replicated across all government departments- you can be certain the bill for external consultants could be drastically reduced- and very fulfilling roles given to those who are already present. Just because someone is employed in what might be considered a menial admin role- does not mean they cannot be more profitably employed elsewhere.

I am shocked that there has been no calls for a skills audit in the Public Sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Its all relative, with deductions in the Public Sector at the moment somebody on 55k can be earning 650 per week. If you are now the sole income in your household with 3 kids on a 2000 euro mortgage you now have 600 a month to live. This is extreme but does happen more and more. Money was probably saved for a rainy day I imagine but it cant be much.

55k a year and no debts, you're laughing.

How would you have got a mortgage costing 2000 a month on a 55k salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

IMO, if you took on a 2000 a month mortgage (even if at the time you had two incomes), you get what you deserve. At it's peak, our mortgage was never much above 1400, that was all we got approved for, and our combined earnings would have been more than 55k.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Before or after tax?

That's after tax for someone on 60K a year.

nesf wrote: »
    That's after tax for someone on 60K a year.

How do you know if the person on prime time was referring to their income before or after tax? I haven't seen the programme so don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

So it could conceivably be quite a poor wage, or at least not a rich or 'good' wage as you previously suggested?

No, I stand by my original statement that 55k (even if it is before tax) is still a very good wage. Hell, considering the average industrial wage is 32k (or thereabouts), I think its a great wage! I would gladly take it.

how about the teacher on PT, ~49-50K salary

saying "whats the point of having a job if you cant make ends meet"

a simple question, would he get more by working as private teacher? would he even have a job?? does he think he would be better of on the dole??

and "getting 900euro a fortnight"
    is it me or the numbers dont add up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How do you know if the person on prime time was referring to their income before or after tax? I haven't seen the programme so don't know.

PrimeTime did their usual graphics with how much someone earned etc. They identified her as earning 55K if that's what you mean. If a number is quoted like that it's almost certainly before tax income rather than take home pay. 55K sounds about right for a youngish physio too from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

a simple question, would he get more by working as private teacher? would he even have a job?? does he think he would be better of on the dole??

900 odd a fortnight. Mortgage of 900 a moth - so he has 900 to play with each month for all other expenses.

2 children in childcare so presumably a partner worker - therefore more spare cash a month. The figures do not add up at all.

Anyone notice the fancy sound system mounted on the wall behind him? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Was thinking that myself, 1800 / month adds up to less than 30K id say. 900 / week more like

Advertisement