Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many books have you unread on your shelf?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just did a quick count last night, and I have 44 unread books on my shelf right now. Add to that another 15 or so that I loaned to my dad that will be coming back to me this Christmas on top of whatever books I get for the actual event, and I have a feeling that I'll be topping off around 60 unread books come the new year! :eek:

(I'm hoping to knock off a few of the 44 between now and Xmas)

Even if I read one a week, I won't need to buy another book til about Mar 2011 :D

Anyone doing worse than me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

corblimey wrote: »
    Anyone doing worse than me?

Not worse than you, actually you've made me feel better! :D J/k, I have about 25 unread books. Curse that bookdepository and its free delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Just counted my unread books now and I have 276, lol. That should keep me going for a few years. The worst thing is now I have joined the Book Depository:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Book depository does not help the unread book pile. I added two more to mine today and now it has.....11. It mocks me every morning I wake up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have around 300 books at my permanent home and around 35 in my Dublin adress. I'd say I've read between 25-30% of my books at home and a good 60-70% of my books in Dublin. The problem is that I tend to use libraries a bit too, so its not entirely representative... Too... many... books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Literally hundreds. Between books I've bought but not had time to read, books from college that I didn't read even then, books I've taken from my granny's house (which is FULL of books) with the intention of reading but never got around to, books I've won (won 80 in a single competition last year :)), books I've been given, books I've 'inherited' from around the house, etc. I've long ago faced the fact that I will never, ever catch up with my backlog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I always thought I was the only one with an unread book pile! I feel much better now.
    books I've won (won 80 in a single competition last year :)),
    What sort of competition has a prize of 80 books? Was it one of those ironic prizes in that you won an xfactor endurance rally or something? No?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Have about 30 to 40. Keep buying books that are about a 1000 pages long so its beginning to drive me nuts.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have close on 1,000 books and I'd say that there are about 75 in my unread pile. I receive review copies of books for advance reviews so I try to read them first, which means that books I purchase tend to get pushed to the back of the pile.

I'm flying to San Fran soon though, so I'd imagine that I'll get through a few on the flights there and back.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

22 books at a total of 11,045 pages (yes, I keep a spread sheet). That's excluding 'Doctor Who' books whose total I no longer know (and books I have no plans to read any time in the immediate future).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Have 24 books at the moment to read,with 2 more on the way.Also have a list of around another 10(mostly out of print) that i am after.
    Hope to order one or two of these in the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've no more than 10 I'd say,I plan on reading them.........at some stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

About 20 or so. I used to feel unbelievably guilty about them until I started reading here! Some one Ive no interest in reading. Ive decided that life really is too short to spend reading stuff you dont want to.

Ive cut down on buying books a lot in the last while, due to this backlog. My girlfriend always gives out about my buying books. Even if she has a book and offers to loan it, I want to buy it anyway. She says its sad. Pffft! Nothing can beat the owning of a book. Placing it on your shelf so that in the morning you can gaze over the multicolored spines. Take it down, feel the cover, read the blurb, search for quotes ... owning a book cannot be substituted by mere lending arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

College has provided me with a sizeable Stack of Shame. A lot of books with spines cracked up to page 40 with no damage any further. I could use them to pinpoint the days I curtailed study time to go play drunken Guitar Hero in somebody's campus apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I seriously do not want to know how many unread books I have! I just counted 15 on my bookshelf, and that's just the ones that I have at college. There must be at least 50 more at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'd say I've about 50 or so, but this year (as a function of my financial situation!) I have made a conscious effort to wade through some of the TBR pile. I finally got around to reading The Magus which I bought about 3 years ago! :eek::eek: Was thinking of implementing a 'for every 1 new book i read i have to read a TBR one' rule :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

This thread made me smile because I am currently haunted by my bookshelf. On top of the unread books, I recently ordered a pile more that I know will take me a year at least to read. I wish I could read faster but I tend to pour over the pages of a great book, re-reading great sentences, etc.

I have to stop buying books until I've read at least ten out of the estimated 100 unread that are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

wowey I have 5 and I thought that was shocking!!! Well I am only 16!!! x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

At least 50 - I'm afraid to count them though...I bought too many books over the last two years and received an awful lot of free ones and unproofed copies so a lot of things got pushed to the back and forgotten about. I will catch up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Damn this thread, made me go and count 'em.
    I keep them in separate 'little' piles, as they don't
    haunt me as much then.

About 25 or so. In the habit of reading one book about a
    subject, then deciding I have to check out lots of others
    about the same thing. Similar for authors I discover.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. I need a selection
    of books to choose from for my 'next' one, depending on
    mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just recounted and I have 18 :O,I really have to stop buying books until that lot is read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wow, I don't have any unread, apart from the couple I bought at the weekend, because I only have a day or two left in the one I am reading! I just read everything I get. Maybe I should be more discerning...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Mm, I have a terrible book collecting addiction, I would think I have about 75-100 unread books in my room... not to mention those in the rest of the house :) But I don't feel too guilty about it, I know I'll get round to them eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm not much of a bookworm so there aren't more than five. There are dozens more that for one reason or another I've never got round to finishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 KRIS VL

I have only 5. Maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

I would think I have about 75-100 unread books in my room... not to mention those in the rest of the house

Not far off this myself!
    I cannot enter a bookshop without buying something - it's an addiction I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Probably about 15 or 20 on my shelf.... not to mention the 20 or so on the floor... the 10 others between my bed and the wall.... the 10 or so on my desk... the couple of audiobooks I downloaded.....don't even want to think about the 50 or so classics I downloaded with Stanza onto my iPod.

Talk about having your work cut out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Must be close to 30 or 40......:o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,someday.......I just keep buying others I want to read first..:P

Advertisement