Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound Problem in IE.

• 25-11-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

Well the problem is basically that I have no sound in IE.YouTube videos,online radio,everything plays but is silent.Sound works fine in Google Chrome however.I've made no changes to IE and installed nothing new.

I have no system restore point created to restore to. Does anyone have any sugggestions about what might fix it?I'd use Chrome all the time but it tends to freeze quite a bit on me.
    I'm grateful for any suggestions:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you tried updating java or re-installing it?
    Have you any addons that you could try dis-enabling or re-enabling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Biggins wrote: »
    Have you tried updating java or re-installing it?
    Have you any addons that you could try dis-enabling or re-enabling

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried updating Java to no avail. I don't have any addons as I try to keep it running smoothly and haven't wanted anything to slow it down. I'm positive that I haven't changed any settings either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You could try updating IE and making sure sounds is enabled in your IE advanced settings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Open the start menu and type "cmd" into the search box.
    Place your mouse over the "cmd.exe" entry that appears, and right-click.
    Choose "Run as adminstrator".
    Follow the prompts (you may need an administrator's password, if you aren't on an adminstrator's account), until the black window with white text appears.
    Type (without quotes) "sfc /scannow".
    Press enter. Let the scan run, it may take some time.

---

Perhaps the sound is turned off in Internet Explorer's advanced settings.
    To check:
    1. Open IE. Go to Tools> Internet Options.
    2. Switch to the "Advanced" Tab.
    3. Scroll down to the "Multimedia" sub-heading.
    4. Make sure the box next to "Play sounds in web pages" is checked. Click "ok". Restart Internet Explorer. Test to see if sounds will now play.

---

Perhaps one of the addons you usually use in IE is interfering with the ability to play sound:
    To check this, try running IE without addons:
    1. Open the Start Menu, type "Internet Explorer" into the search box. This search should return at least two results.
    2. Click on the "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" option.
    3. Navigate to a page where you know sound should be heard.
    4. Did you hear sound?

---

What make is the system? Toshiba by any chance?

---

Apparently ADOBE apps can cause this fault too by updates...

1. You will need to uninstall Adobe Flash Player first. You can't do it by simply disabling the software you will need a tool to complete this job. Use this link to download the tool. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
    2. Install and run the adobe removal tool.
    3. Restart your computer when prompted. ( Remember to close all windows ie. Explorer, mozilla, google chrome.) before trying to uninstall adobe flash player.
    4. Run CCleaner temp file cleaner to remove any files that may slow your computer down. Run CCleaner Reg. Cleaner (be sure to back up your reg. before running the cleaner so you may roll back if you experience problems. You may download a free copy of CCleaner from. http://www.ccleaner.com/download
    5. Download a clean install of Adobe Flash player. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=DXLUJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks a million for taking the time to write that answer Biggins. I will try your recommendations this evening and let you know how I get on. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement