Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of best selling video games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac-man was never buried in the desert. It sold well but was utter ****e. ET was buried in the desert though. Well I think so anyway.

Some really poor games that sold well though like Wii Play but good to see it's usually top quality software like Pokemon and Mario 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

sorry you're right, i was getting my 80's games characters mixed up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the figures for ET are the sold figures as well because 8 million cartridges were made of the game. They sold 4 million but over 2 million were returned by disgusted customers meaning the figure of 1.5 million is about right. The rest of the cartridges got buried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the fact that Derby Stallion 96 apparantly sold more then Super Metroid makes me cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

3 million copies of monster hunter freedom unite sold in Japan alone???:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Wii fit dwarfs most of them, apart from the Super Mario Bros on the Nes. That's broad appeal for you.

The Super Mario Bros. figure takes into account units sold as bundles and since SMB was with nealry every NES it's really high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

17 of the top 20 best selling games of all time where either made by Nintendo or on Nintendo consoles :)

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    Wii fit dwarfs most of them, .

it took me a while to figure out what you meant, i thought Nintendo had brought out a version for midgets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wii play was for the extra controller likely, the gameplay wasn't all that.
    Wii Fit was all for the hype and people thinking they could actually use instead of exercise.
    Nintendogs - Well Em I dunno, Kids love it I suppose
    Pokemon Red/GRN/BLU - Definitley deserves to be higher, say what you want about the series but the gameplay is one of a kind.

Note how neither the Xbox nor Xbox 360 have any places in the best selling games of all time ;)

Nintendo wins on broad appeal for their software though. Theres alot of crap games but theres also the likes of mario/pokemon e.t.c. which have stood the test of time and are still some of the best games of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

if you looked at those figures literally, it suggests 42 million out of 50m Wii purchasers have not played Mario Galaxy :eek: , yet 22 million fatties thought they were getting fit/entertainment on a balance board!!

Super Mario Galaxy was only a very minor success. A real shame, it's one of the best games in a very long time. Just goes to show how many Wii's are owned by actual videogame fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

yeah exactly such a crying shame that this game could've been experienced by so many people but hasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Welcome to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't like the future. Can I make it go away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

tman wrote: »

Yep Monster Hunter Portable 2G is still in the charts.
    Media Create Sales Nov 9-15

23./19. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

tman wrote: »

The Japanese are absolutely nuts for Monster Hunter. I was over there at the Launch day of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii. 18 wheeler trucks roaming the streets blaring the theme music, crowds of people at the shops lining up to buy it and staff at the stores climbing step ladders over the crowds and shouting into microphones, it was insane basically :D. They had a huge build up for it also in the months/weeks before the launch.

Monster Hunter Portable 2G (we call it Monster Hunter Freedom Unite here) was number one in the PSP charts in every shop i visted and it's been out quite a long term over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Not a single Amiga game in that list ? :eek:

or Spectrum hmmmph!

Advertisement