Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which conditions bar snow/ice do you find the hardest to ride in?

• 25-11-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I have to say a dark windy rainy night is the hardest. A bit of rain with no wind I can handle but bring wind on top of that it is a whole different ballgame. Last night for example I have to open my lid to see but really difficult with rain pelting into my face due to the wind, given it was also dark found it very hard to spot Pedestrians crossing who are not wearing high vis (most of them) till you get very close to them- nearly too close.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Id rather ride in heavy rain than ride in strong wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You haven't hit a patch of black ice on a bend then if you think that's the worst. And I did it in a car, not looking forward to it on a bike. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You haven't hit a patch of black ice on a bend then if you think that's the worst. And I did it in a car, not looking forward to it on a bike. :(

He did say bar ice/snow! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Heavy rain with wind because of visibility. If you lift the visor you get it in the eyes and when you drop the visor you can't see much out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I find the heavy rain better than the misty rain. That tends to sit on the visor because its so fine. Also the roads dont get washed with the misty rain so it is a lot slippier.

Roadskill

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Roadskill wrote: »
    I find the heavy rain better than the misty rain. That tends to sit on the visor because its so fine. Also the roads dont get washed with the misty rain so it is a lot slippier.

Roadskill

+1

Give me rain anyday, wind is a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

During the summer after a shower of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

oil spillages are a c*nt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

this actually caused me most problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

As I said bar snow/ice - I rode in every day last year from the mountains to the docks during the Snow and yep came across lots of black ice - luckily never (touchwood) never came off. Rain once I have the gear and take it handy is fine - with wind nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont really like when it's bitter cold, the cold that tries as hard as it can to distract you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Without a shadow of a doubt wind scares the bejesus out of me

Actually wind isnt too bad but SUDDEN GUSTS are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I think heavy wind has to be the worst- sometimes on the M1 it comes from both sides. It feel like someone is giving you a punch in the ribs to try to knock you off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Luckycharm wrote: »
    As I said bar snow/ice - I rode in every day last year from the mountains to the docks during the Snow and yep came across lots of black ice - luckily never (touchwood) never came off. Rain once I have the gear and take it handy is fine - with wind nightmare.

Ok, ignoring snow/ice it would have to be a fat bloke on the back who won't lean. Try taking a bloody corner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Yesterday first time out in ages, freezing ****ing cold like hoping I wouldn't lose the sensation in my hands, then first time in heavy fu(kin fog, visor all fogged up, visability as long as your nose, combined with perfect timing a symphony conductor would be proud of to negotiate 80,000 people exiting Croke Pk. Aaaarrrgh! :mad: Unpleasant to say the least! But it's experience so hurrah and got back in one piece so can't complain!

Came off bike today 1st time in over 5 years, I take this small link road, hit some leaves and front wheel went from underneath me :( Bike and me are fine leg little sore some bruising was not going too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Came off bike today 1st time in over 5 years, I take this small link road, hit some leaves and front wheel went from underneath me :( Bike and me are fine leg little sore some bruising was not going too fast.

Sorry to hear that, hope yer back on the road soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

driving in the rain with glasses on under a visor is a right b1tch, especially at night. i dont mind getting soaked/cold/blown all over the road but not being able to see is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

Windy is worst especially sudden gusts!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Wind is fine! its kinda fun when on the motorway maxed out.. sorta gives ya something else to do instead of holding the throttle.

But ****ty drizzle rain sucks when its cold cause of the fog on the visor + unwashed roads. Tis like driving on manholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

hate that one too - greasy as hell.

worst -
    snow
    heavy wind
    ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dense fog scares me. Not because of my lack of driving skill, but because of the stupid speeds cagers drive at in fog.

Last Christmas eve I drove to Kildare in dense fog. Visibility was done to about 20 feet in some areas. I was overtaken by a car doing about 80mph. I don't know if he actually seen me at all. I guess I was lucky he was driving in a different lane.

And fog renders the visor useless, so you have to drive with it up. And if you have to wear eye glasses, then they get fogged up to. And....if it's really cold out, the moisture in the air can freeze on your face as you drive. Very uncomfortable.

jameshayes wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope yer back on the road soon

Tks sure I am grand got back on bike and continued on. Think I got a deadish leg where I landed on my phone which was in my pocket :o

Advertisement