Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingsley Hotel

Options
  • 25-11-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Is it true it wont open again and all staff let go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

JP Liz wrote: »
    It is not letting staff go and will reopen in January 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

JP Liz wrote: »

It is letting the majority of its staff go but will re-open in a number of months, some time in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daisydotty

Ya i think its just temporary staff they're leaving go.i'm a member of the health club-i loved it there so gutted to see it closed.typically too i had just got into going about 4 times a week.I also am off for 3 weeks for study leave and was thinking that i'd go every morning early and then home to study!!they rang me today to say that they still can't give a timeframe for being open again but that they'll keep in touch.wished them the best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A friend of mine is working there, and they're due (As staff) to begin cleaning next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kingtut wrote: »
    It is letting the majority of its staff go but will re-open in a number of months, some time in 2010.

Yep, according to the Irish Examiner "Most of the 130 staff… will have have to be laid off" and the marketing manager says it is too early to say with certainty when the hotel will reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

evilivor wrote: »
    Yep, according to the Irish Examiner "Most of the 130 staff… will have have to be laid off" and the marketing manager says it is too early to say with certainty when the hotel will reopen.

Well according to breakingnews.ie they will have to let a lot of their temp staff go but will be attempting to keep most of the 130 full time staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pixie1979

The majority of staff have been let go-including myself-does anyone know anything regarding redundancies? I have had a problem regarding this-I would appreciate any information from former staff.
    Thank you

From the rumour mill - and mods, feel free to delete, it's being absorbed by NAMA, and probably won't be opening again. However, the rumour mill seems to have all the details on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My friend's job in the spa (part-time) was gone in November anyway.

Really Nama..???-I didnt hear that before-thats such a pity if its true-it was a beautiful hotel. there seems to be a big cloak over the whole thing at the moment.
    And im sorry to hear about your friend in the spa-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm a member in the gym and haven't heard anything from them since before xmas. They told me back then that it would be open for the 2nd or 3rd week of January, no sign of it opening anytime soon and haven't heard anything since before xmas.

Getting a little tired waiting tbh, am going to Leisureworld 3 or 4 times a week and it's costing me about €30 per week!

I think they dont know themselves what is happening and when they can open. such a pity i loved our gym there. I went to leisure world a few times and just found it so busy and dirty that i have taken to running and cycling on the streets instead. it looks like its going to be a long time before there is anything open in the hotel.

Pixie1979 wrote: »
    I think they dont know themselves what is happening and when they can open. such a pity i loved our gym there. I went to leisure world a few times and just found it so busy and dirty that i have taken to running and cycling on the streets instead. it looks like its going to be a long time before there is anything open in the hotel.

I know what you mean. I've been going there early in the mornings and it's quite enough then, I avoid the evenings there at all costs :) I only go there for my weight training, I've been doing my running out on the road, but I miss a nice quite swim and jacuzzi after it :(

I'm going to call the Kingsley this morning to see if they've any update, will post here once I talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well when you build in a flood plain and don't bund the area around the building then you get this, stupid stupid planning allowing this hotel be built here, city is just laughing its way to the bank to count the fees they charged for permission to build this now white elephant.

Have they not made arrangements for members to use other gyms while they are out of action, that should have been their first course of action when they saw how long it would take for them to (if ever) reopen.

Totally agree with the above, similar looney idea to have anything in the basement of the County Hall. And the Kingsley car park :rolleyes:

Will the members be reimbursed if they had paid their membership in advance ? I presume the folks paying by direct debit are not being charged since it closed ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Totally agree with the above, similar looney idea to have anything in the basement of the County Hall. And the Kingsley car park :rolleyes:

Will the members be reimbursed if they had paid their membership in advance ? I presume the folks paying by direct debit are not being charged since it closed ?

Direct debits have been cancelled for people who were paying in that way.

For those who have fully paid, their memberships are being extended for the period which the gym remains closed. However, I talked to other members who have fully paid their membership and 'apparently' the Kingsley have agreed to reimburse them with their money.

I know what you mean. I've been going there early in the mornings and it's quite enough then, I avoid the evenings there at all costs :) I only go there for my weight training, I've been doing my running out on the road, but I miss a nice quite swim and jacuzzi after it :(

I'm going to call the Kingsley this morning to see if they've any update, will post here once I talk to them.

great-would be interested to know what there story is now.

Pixie1979 wrote: »
    great-would be interested to know what there story is now.

Just off phone, work still hasn't even started as there is problems with the insurance company, a decision still hasn't even come through so refurbishment work still hasn't even started :(

I was only talking to the receptionist, I asked if a membership refund was an option and she said that Alan and Brian (Health club managers) are in the process of calling members. I haven't heard from them since before Christmas!

In a nutshell, neither them nor us have any idea of when it will reopen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

I'm a member of the Health Club and the Thermal Suite and honestly I think the whole set up is a disgrace. From then night of the flooding I feel us members have been treated terribly.

The only contact the hotel made with me was a voice mail about a week after the floods saying that they were closed temporarily, but that they would be open in 2-3 weeks. That week we had no water at home either so I was really caught out, but I was happy enough with the thought of the health club opening in such a short space of time. But time has slipped by and there has been no contact from their side since. I thought we would be given complimentary passes to another Leisure Centre, allowed to use their sister hotel in Middleton, or something to keep us going, but that was never even an option.
    If we had been told how long the health club would be closed I would have joined somewhere short term, but I've just been waiting and waiting, thinking it could open any day, and now I'm totally out of all routine, still waiting, and still no answers.

I was a member of the Mardyke before I joined the Kinglsey, my sister is still a member there; they were given passes to go to Leisure World and even a shuttle bus was put on to transport them. The Mardyke was always upfront and honest about the state of their premises, the work being done and from the beginning they has Feb 15th as their opening day. They opened Mon 15th as promised.

I really feel that we have been treated so badly. Within the last week I've spoken to the receptionist who told me about the problems with the surveyonrs, that work hasn't even started etc... I reckon they are being covered for loss of earnings and will stay closed for a long time to come, so I've also emailed the health club and I have frozen my direct debit account, so even if/when they do re-open, they have to contact me to re-new my membership.
    It's terribly sad that our beautiful health club was ruined, but its awful customer service from the hotel not to keep it's members informed. I don't know if I will re-new my membership if/when the time comes ~ the whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth, I really feel like they have left us down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd feel a bit more for those who lost their jobs in there, rather than the gym/spa members.

• Advertisement

+1 Dudess. I've friends affected by this, and it's terrible. And if the NAMA rumours are true, then it's worse again. This will be the second building absorbed by NAMA that I know about, Cork'll end up like Detroit.

I even heard rumours during the week that they're trying to buy the few people who've bought apartments in the Elysian out of there so they can give that to NAMA too.

+1 Dudess. I've friends affected by this, and it's terrible. And if the NAMA rumours are true, then it's worse again. This will be the second building absorbed by NAMA that I know about, Cork'll end up like Detroit.

I even heard rumours during the week that they're trying to buy the few people who've bought apartments in the Elysian out of there so they can give that to NAMA too.

Brand new state of the art private hospital/surgery moved in there,trust the elysian aint going to NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

NAMA has nothing to do with this, regardless of any potential for the backers to put this project into NAMA a failure for the insurers to pay up is the main problem.

If any project goes to NAMA then it must run or sold at a later date at a profit. Leaving a state of the art hotel to go to ruin is madness and the insurance company would need a good reason to prevent payment.

Hopefully for all concerned the insurers and owners will sort things out ASAP, this massive complex needs to be open.

Hopefully the ESB will build a pipeline to the sea to ensure in the future they don't have to flood the LEE fields area to protect the dam.

Brand new state of the art private hospital/surgery moved in there,trust the elysian aint going to NAMA.

I'm not talking about the ancilliary buildings, I'm talking about the tower.

I thought they had already bought them back as they could not let folks move in as they couldn't run the building with so few sold. Also didn't the developer have an arrangement whereby he only paid the bank back once he had sold the apartments.

Hopefully the ESB will build a pipeline to the sea to ensure in the future they don't have to flood the LEE fields area to protect the dam.

I take it that's a tongue in cheek comment :)

LoveSick wrote: »
    I really feel that we have been treated so badly. Within the last week I've spoken to the receptionist who told me about the problems with the surveyonrs, that work hasn't even started etc... I reckon they are being covered for loss of earnings and will stay closed for a long time to come, so I've also emailed the health club and I have frozen my direct debit account, so even if/when they do re-open, they have to contact me to re-new my membership.
    It's terribly sad that our beautiful health club was ruined, but its awful customer service from the hotel not to keep it's members informed. I don't know if I will re-new my membership if/when the time comes ~ the whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth, I really feel like they have left us down.

+1 LoveSick, I'm a member and am seriously thinking about moving to another gym permanently, I love the gym in the Kingsley and miss it but I can't keep wasting money in Leisure by paying 'as I go'. Its costs €8.65 for admission to the gym alone, I used to go to the Kinsgley 5 times a week but because of the cost in Leisure I'm cutting back, I can't afford to pay over €40 per week there. I paid my membership in full in the Kingsley and I think I'll just try get a refund out of them.

I know they're having major problems there but that's no excuse for the lack of communication with its members whose membership fees keep them open!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

LoveSick wrote: »
    I was a member of the Mardyke before I joined the Kinglsey, my sister is still a member there; they were given passes to go to Leisure World and even a shuttle bus was put on to transport them.

I don't know about the Shuttle Bus (where would it be shuttling from) but Mardyke members were offered the opportunity to use other centres at no extra cost _or_ suspend their Direct Debits until re-opening. They re-openedo on target and are also giving a month free to members.

parsi wrote: »
    I don't know about the Shuttle Bus (where would it be shuttling from) but Mardyke members were offered the opportunity to use other centres at no extra cost _or_ suspend their Direct Debits until re-opening. They re-openedo on target and are also giving a month free to members.

All UCC students/staff/gym members could avail of a shuttle bus and free vouchers for leusiure world. Also quite a few gyms in the city did cheap 3 monthd packages for students fom UCC after the floods.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Of course.

I'd forgotten that us public members subsidise the students ......

/gathers hat & coat and walks away cautiously..

Advertisement