Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingsley Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

parsi wrote: »
    I'd forgotten that us public members subsidise the students ......

Ouch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

All UCC students/staff/gym members could avail of a shuttle bus and free vouchers for leusiure world. Also quite a few gyms in the city did cheap 3 monthd packages for students fom UCC after the floods.

Didn't hear about the shuttle bus but they arranged membership of the Locker Room for me (very plush place!) & also stopped taking the membership fee for the last two months (UCC staff can pay by a monthly wage deduction).

Kudos to the Mardyke they handled the situation very well I think.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

opus wrote: »

Kudos to the Mardyke they handled the situation very well I think.

+ 1 They did. There was plenty of information issued by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

RoverJames wrote: »
    I take it that's a tongue in cheek comment :)

I should hope so :confused: either that or the poster has no idea of the logistics that would be involved in that . i.e. impossible

corkcomp wrote: »
    I should hope so :confused: either that or the poster has no idea of the logistics that would be involved in that . i.e. impossible

I fear they were serious :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

I take it that's a tongue in cheek comment :)

No, how much would it cost to build an overflow pipe to pump excess water to the sea from the Dam thus reducing the potential to flood the City of Cork and reducing the level of chaos we have seen in the last six months ? I would think an awful lot less than the cost of the flood.

If it is that impossible, where do you think the gas from the Kinsale gas field comes from ?, where do you think Los Angeles gets its water from, how do we get gas into Ireland from other countries, Pipelines I think, If the Russians can build the trans Siberian pipeline to move oil over 4,800 kilometers, I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility to build an overflow system where if the water reaches a certain level they start pumping water away from the Dam area in a separate pipe to a totally different location ie The Sea., not through the city and out the harbour but build it south from the dam area directly to the sea.

Not impossible, just expensive. Better than seeing Cork City under water

:D I knew he was serious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

No, how much would it cost to build an overflow pipe to pump excess water to the sea from the Dam thus reducing the potential to flood the City of Cork and reducing the level of chaos we have seen in the last six months ? I would think an awful lot less than the cost of the flood.

You really haven't thought this idea through have you......

And there was definitely a shuttle bus for students and staff at least anyway.

Papa has quoted the full post that was there, the edit was adding a big paragraph under the guise of spelling :rolleyes:
    (13 mins after the initial post, lol)

The pipe would have to be about half the size of the Lee in its mature stage by the Straight Road, it would cost billions and once fully scoped would be so looney that it would never happen. 'Twould be like a huge chocolate teapot the size of Pairc Ui Chaoimh :D

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but if someone suggested building a barrier to stop the sea coming in it would be laughed at, but the Thames Flood Barrier does that in London. I wonder how the Dutch manage with these issues as most of the country is under sea level.

I suppose it would be cheaper to move people out of Cork and transfer the entire area that no longer can get flood cover to higher ground and leave the rest to go to ruin !!!

Just imagine 28 Days Later (starring Cillian Murphy) filmed in the derelict areas of Cork, from the Lee Fields through the Mardyke and down the Western Road, as the population have been relocated.

Papa has quoted the full post that was there, the edit was adding a big paragraph under the guise of spelling :rolleyes:
    (13 mins after the initial post, lol)

D'OH, thought i was previewing but submitted instead, my bad, no intention to deceive or change the tone of post, just wasn't finished with my 2 cents on the issue.
    I did add a further piece but with the quote as you can see the original bit was left unchanged.

I must say you seem a splendid sort :) I reckon you're not a civil engineer though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Maybe not, but if someone suggested building a barrier to stop the sea coming in it would be laughed at, but the Thames Flood Barrier does that in London. I wonder how the Dutch manage with these issues as most of the country is under sea level.

I suppose it would be cheaper to move people out of Cork and transfer the entire area that no longer can get flood cover to higher ground and leave the rest to go to ruin !!!

Just imagine 28 Days Later (starring Cillian Murphy) filmed in the derelict areas of Cork, from the Lee Fields through the Mardyke and down the Western Road, as the population have been relocated.

All the things you quoted in the edited post about moving gas/oil etc etc are irrelvant when it comes to buiding a big pipe from the Inniscarra dam. All those buisnesses are making billions if not trillions every year so they could afford to build such huge complex pipe systems. Russia needs those gas pipes to get to Europe etc , because if they didnt i would probably make more from Dunnes in a week than they would if their gas sales vanished.

The quoted figure to build flood defences along the river was put out at 100m euro which was immediately requested from the Government but was shot down(yet they went ahead and spent millions on green lanes in the Pale) A pipe to take such a large amount of water would cause so much hassle as you would have to bring it right through the city pretty much. The flood defence system is a lot cheaper and efficient but our joke of a Government just won't cough it up.

So 100M(even if it rose to 200m) v probably close to a billion for the pipe.

As you have already spotted, no civil engineering background, but was really just thinking out loud.

I accept all the logical discussions and while it would be very expensive and impossible for little old Ireland to pay for, it could be done if it had to be, but probably a lot cheaper to get the people who run the dam to reduce water levels for the winter and to release water whenever possible (when it won't cause the problems experienced.) and then when a perfect storm occurs like last year, there will be plenty of spare capacity available to take the extra volumes.

Thanks for the banter, a most enjoyable discussion.

As you have already spotted, no civil engineering background, .....................

Thanks for the banter, a most enjoyable discussion.

Likewise on both accounts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd feel a bit more for those who lost their jobs in there, rather than the gym/spa members.

Naturally the people who lost their jobs are the ones who are suffering most and have felt the greatest loss ~ my point is the way we were treated. All I wanted, and all we deserve is communication; basic customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

+1 LoveSick, I'm a member and am seriously thinking about moving to another gym permanently, I love the gym in the Kingsley and miss it but I can't keep wasting money in Leisure by paying 'as I go'. Its costs €8.65 for admission to the gym alone, I used to go to the Kinsgley 5 times a week but because of the cost in Leisure I'm cutting back, I can't afford to pay over €40 per week there. I paid my membership in full in the Kingsley and I think I'll just try get a refund out of them.

I know they're having major problems there but that's no excuse for the lack of communication with its members whose membership fees keep them open!

Yes, exactly my point; all I want, and what feel that we all deserve is communication; basic customer service.
    Honestly, as much as I feel sorry for them, I think you'd be better off getting a refund. I was emailing Brian, and as I said they have frozen my direct debit now, he said they'll contact me when they reopen and I can start up my membership then if I want.
    But I don't know if they are ever going to open. It's a hopeless situation really; I miss it so much. It truly was the best in Cork and its a shame to see it closed now. Over the years I have been a member in 4 other health clubs, I live in town and I passed 6 health clubs/hotels to go the Kingsley, I think the Shearton Hotel in Fota is probably the next best thing, just debating whether its a bit too far to travel... Good luck with your refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well when you build in a flood plain and don't bund the area around the building then you get this, stupid stupid planning allowing this hotel be built here, city is just laughing its way to the bank to count the fees they charged for permission to build this now white elephant.

Have they not made arrangements for members to use other gyms while they are out of action, that should have been their first course of action when they saw how long it would take for them to (if ever) reopen.

I have spoken to people in the know and they said the extension to the Kingsley was refused by the Planners but of course the gombeen councillors pushed it through anyway...

And the planning department got flooded across the way in the County Hall at the same time.....oh the irony...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I have spoken to people in the know and they said the extension to the Kingsley was refused by the Planners but of course the gombeen councillors pushed it through anyway...

And the planning department got flooded across the way in the County Hall at the same time.....oh the irony...:)
    I can only presume that the planning officials who granted planning permission for said buildings in the Lee Fields flood plain are still in their jobs, when in reality each and every one of them should be sacked. But alas with the Government we have now, you really couldn't expect them to make the right decisons.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    I can only presume that the planning officials who granted planning permission for said buildings in the Lee Fields flood plain are still in their jobs, when in reality each and every one of them should be sacked. But alas with the Government we have now, you really couldn't expect them to make the right decisons.

Well that's my point. The Planning Department actually refused it but the Councillors overruled them and granted permission and then it's the Planning Department that get the flack. It was the same situation with the Elysian....refused but overruled.

But getting to your point...yes the same personal are all still there...no accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well that's my point. The Planning Department actually refused it but the Councillors overruled them and granted permission and then it's the Planning Department that get the flack. It was the same situation with the Elysian....refused but overruled.

But getting to your point...yes the same personal are all still there...no accountability.

It's the same across the entire country. Housing estates thrown up in the face of the planners objections, overruled by gombeen councillors who interests weren't alligned with the very people that elected them.

There is another story up in Galway CC.

The Planner granted permission for a house in a flood plain by a lake..cue the first heavy downpour and house has 2 foot of water surrounding it. There was a picture of it in the local paper. It looked like a house in the middle of the lake.

It transpired that the planner was so lazy she never actually paid a visit to the site!

Was she sacked? Was she disciplined? Hell no. Guess what..she was gently persuaded to move departments within the Council.

It was my planner friends that told me this. They know her personally.

(Of course there were serous questions of the engineer and the engineering department)

If anyone is a member of the gym in the Kingsley and have been in contact with any members of the team there I'd like to hear what they've been told by them wrt reopening or not.

Has anyone got a refund of their membership fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pixie1979

I know this may be a stupid idea-but have you tried ringing them. From what I have been told is that they have no idea what is happening. Looks like no insurance money has come through and there is no hope of opening until this is cleared up. It may be a few weeks or a few years. They have a blog on their website which is updated every few weeks. check that out.
    I know more staff have been let go -unfortunatly the human cost is that a lot of people are out of jobs - it is in the kingsleys best interest that they open as soon as possible.

Pixie1979 wrote: »
    I know this may be a stupid idea-but have you tried ringing them. From what I have been told is that they have no idea what is happening. Looks like no insurance money has come through and there is no hope of opening until this is cleared up. It may be a few weeks or a few years. They have a blog on their website which is updated every few weeks. check that out.
    I know more staff have been let go -unfortunatly the human cost is that a lot of people are out of jobs - it is in the kingsleys best interest that they open as soon as possible.

Tried calling lots of times, hotel receptionist keeps telling me that "the health club managers are in the process of contacting all members" which is total crap, I haven't heard anything since early Decemeber! She won't answer any of my questions on my membership.

Blog has nothing at all useful, last post was requesting their customers to write reviews for the hotel on Tripadvisor...yes I'm serious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pixie1979

Tried calling lots of times, hotel receptionist keeps telling me that "the health club managers are in the process of contacting all members" which is total crap, I haven't heard anything since early Decemeber! She won't answer any of my questions on my membership.

Blog has nothing at all useful, last post was requesting their customers to write reviews for the hotel on Tripadvisor...yes I'm serious :)

Thats really frustrating. There is over a 1000 members so it could be christmas next by the time they contact them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mountain

planning was granted by CITY council, not county council....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Thread revival I know but Im just wondering how would I go about trying to get a job here? Ive vast experience in 5 star hotels

• Advertisement

MarkD. wrote: »
    Thread revival I know but Im just wondering how would I go about trying to get a job here? Ive vast experience in 5 star hotels

Check the website dude, hotel is still closed due to extensive flood damage which was caused this time last year :(

Closest thing to this would be Hayfield Manor Hotel. Best of luck!

Advertisement